Tony Books late 70's team?

WyongBlue said:
That was a good side where we was good at Maine Road but rubbish at times when we played away ( That 4-0 hammering by Derby ended our league hopes ), plus also having Colin sidelined didnt help us in our challenge for the title that year..................

must of been 10,000 city fans in that paddock that day.

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Prestwich_Blue said:
lancs blue said:
Off the top of my head:

Corrigan,Ranson,Donachie,Doyle,Power,Watson, Booth,Tueart,Hartford,Royle,Kidd
Bit early for Ranson but can't for the life of me remember who was at RB. Oakes, Channon & Keegan were also part of the team.

Wasn't TC (Kenny Clements) the right back in that team?
yes he was the 1st choice right back...

not sure about the time but alan oakes then chester manager offered us ian rush but i think peter swales said he was not worth 200,ooo so he went to liverpool,what would we had done wiyh him up front,what a cock up.

Prestwich_Blue said:
mcfcinprague said:
Something that was fundamental to this team was the coaches that Tony Book had beside him.

One was Bill Taylor who sadly passed away and the other one was Ian McFarlane who went back home to Middlesbrough because his wife was homesick.

These were 2 of the finest coaches in the UK at the time we had them, and it was when they left that things went wrong - other than the injury to Colin Bell
The Macfarlane story about his wife isn't true. The real story is that he asked the club to buy his house in the North East so that he and his family could buy one here but they either refused or agreed then reneged on the deal. Either way, he was left with no choice but to return back to Teeside.

Typical City to spoil a great combination for the sake of a few quid. Think it was Swales (surprise, surprise).

Swales was a compulsive liar. He stitched us up, with the help of his cronies he robbed the club blind, the man was an utter *wat.

lancs blue said:
2bluejacko said:
somebody name the main 11 team players that season please...

Off the top of my head:

Was Pardoe totally out by then?
Don't worry cracking up, I think he may have been on the coaching staff by then.

blue rebel said:
lancs blue said:
2bluejacko said:
somebody name the main 11 team players that season please...

Off the top of my head:

Don't worry cracking up, I think he may have been on the coaching staff by then.

Didn't George best break his leg in an accidental tackle?

spam1967 said:
blue rebel said:
lancs blue said:
Off the top of my head:

Didn't George best break his leg in an accidental tackle?

Yes. Fortunately for Pardoe, at the time it happened, a friend of one of City's directors was at the game and he was one of the country's leading surgeons. He saw what was going on on the pitch, and made himself known to those around him.

When they got Pardoe to hospital, the full extent of his injuries became clear and it was a desperate situation. He was minutes away from having to have his leg amputated, but the surgeon who had gone to hospital with Pardoe performed surgery and saved his leg.

The main artery through the leg had been twisted and the flow of blood had stopped.

Pardoe never never really recovered enough to play professional football again, but he always maintained it was one those things that happen, and George Best, who was not a dirty player, always said it was an unfortunate accident.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
i kne albert davy said:
Mad Eyed Screamer said:
Agree oakiecokie
The final game of the season, City went into the day with a chance of winning the title by winning at Coventry City - which we did 1-0 (Jimmy Conway - I was there aged 14) - however, Liverpool (I think) drew with West Ham in an earlier kick off which guaranteed them the title before City kicked off.
I was at Coventry that day strange atmosphere cos i'm pretty sure we'd already lost it we'd been hammered at Derby a couple of weeks before on a shitter of a pitch and i'm sure the scousers had another game to play against Bristol City which they lost 2-3 couldn't see that happening if they would have needed a result.

All I remember is by the time City kicked off at Highfield Road, Liverpool had won the league by winning or drawing (pretty sure it was drawing) at West Ham in a lunch time KO and no idea why in those days they KO'ed at lunch time!!

Edit: Liverpool won it on City's last game of the season against Cov, with a game in hand.

30 April 1977: Liverpool effectively end Ipswich Town's title challenge by beating them 2–1 at Anfield. Manchester City crash to a 4–0 defeat at relegation-threatened Derby County, and are now two points behind the Reds having played a game more. Meanwhile, half the clubs in the division remain in danger of relegation: Bristol City are bottom, but just five points separate the ten teams immediately above them, with Tottenham Hotspur in most danger, having played more games than their rivals.[1]

7 May 1977: Tottenham Hotspur's first relegation since 1935[6] is virtually guaranteed after the Londoners are thrashed 5–0 at Manchester City.[1]

14 May 1977: Liverpool are confirmed champions of the Football League First Division for the second season running and for the tenth time in total[8] following a 0–0 draw with West Ham United. Manchester City finish second. Tottenham Hotspur's relegation is confirmed, but in an extraordinarily close finish to the season, six other clubs are still fighting to avoid the other two relegation spots.[1]

16 May 1977: Stoke City lose 1–0 to Aston Villa and are relegated. West Ham United and Queens Park Rangers win their last matches of the season to survive, and Bristol City keep their hopes alive by beating Liverpool 2–1. They go into their last match level on points with Coventry City and Sunderland.[1]
sure jimmy hill did somthimg dogey for coventry to get sunderland relegated.not sure what it was but sunderland fans made his life hellfor years after.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.