Tony Coton was better than Eike Immell

Asian Blue said:
bluewales said:
NIALL QUINN WAS BETTER THAN ELKIE IMAC
Last game I went to at Main Road was City v Derby in the season they got relegated..........Dean Saunders, who had not missed a penalty all season, steps up to take one against Quinny, (after Coton had been sent off) and he bloody well saves it , after scoring what was to be the only goal of the match.
Memories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought David White scored as well although I might be mistaken. I remember beating Sunderland in the game after as well at home, last game of season and knocked them down as well. That was the best atmosphere I have ever seen at Maine Road and the kippax was rocking

On TC - unfairly maligned by the City fans, he was treated like crap and forced out of the club, and the club wanted him to go to United so we could sign Nigel Clough (that worked out well, didn't it?).

I don't think Immel was quite as bad as some people say and he did a decent job as a stand-in despite the very tough circumstances at the start of 1995/6. However, I agree that T should have been straight back in the side when fit and if he'd played in the second half of that season then we wouldn't have gone down.

There was a thread on this a while back: http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136021.

FWIW, my contribution was this:

I could never claim to be ITK now, but back in the mid nineties I was. Did a job that brought me into contact with a lot of the goings on at MCFC. (Rather depressing it was too, because the more you found out, the clearer it became just how badly f**ked the club was).

Anyway, one day in January 1996, I was asked to review a facility agreement from a major bank under which they would advance City the first instalment on the purchase of Nigel Clough on condition (spelled out explicitly in the agreement) that City paid it back through the sale of Tony Coton for GBP 470K. Looking back at Soccerbase, the Clough deal went through on 24 January and the Coton deal went through on 31 January, with the player taking a lot of persuading. City were desperate for the deal with United to go ahead.

I was told that Sunderland had offered GBP 500K for Coton and he wanted to go there, but they wanted to pay GBP 250K up front and the rest over 12 month. We needed GBP 470K up front to pay the bank back, and the Rags had enough cash to offer that all up front in one payment. Coton was basically, as I understand, told that he'd be training with the kids if he stayed and would never play even as a last resort.

Ferguson promised Coton that he could go to Sunderland in the summer, and that swung it. Coton decided that he'd rather spend the next four months on the bench at a club challenging for trophies, make a few quid from the signing on fee and then get the move he wanted. Sadly for him, injury finished his career after only a few games for the Mackems.

When the alternative was to be a pariah at a badly run club in the process of going down the pan, can you really blame him? And after that, when he was offered a coaching job at a successful club where he was well thought of in an area of the country where he was settled when no comparable vacancy existed for him at City anyway, why shouldn't he take it? He has to make a living, after all.

People really need to grow up with their view of some of this stuff. Tony Coton is a football professional and he's entitled to make choices based on what's based for his career. He owes City fans nothing when he exercises that judgement, especially as he was treated like crap by our club anyway.
<br /><br />-- Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:51 am --<br /><br />
goatbinfed said:
Asian Blue said:
Last game I went to at Main Road was City v Derby in the season they got relegated..........Dean Saunders, who had not missed a penalty all season, steps up to take one against Quinny, (after Coton had been sent off) and he bloody well saves it , after scoring what was to be the only goal of the match.
Memories !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought David White scored as well although I might be mistaken. I remember beating Sunderland in the game after as well at home, last game of season and knocked them down as well. That was the best atmosphere I have ever seen at Maine Road and the kippax was rocking

Yes, we beat Derby 2-1 in the game in which Quinn scored and then saved a penalty (a result that sent Derby down). White scored in the second half to make it 2-0 and Derby pulled one back in the last minute. A pity, as Quinny deserved the clean sheet.

Most impressive thing was the way he handled the corner that resulted from the penalty save. Came out and claimed it with a really confident catch on the penalty spot.

I've seen the likes Bobby Mac and Nigel Gleghorn put in heroic performances as an outfield player in net but Quinn was on a different level. He actually looked like a proper goalkeeper.

Dyed Petya said:
On TC - unfairly maligned by the City fans, he was treated like crap and forced out of the club, and the club wanted him to go to United so we could sign Nigel Clough (that worked out well, didn't it?).

I don't think Immel was quite as bad as some people say and he did a decent job as a stand-in despite the very tough circumstances at the start of 1995/6. However, I agree that T should have been straight back in the side when fit and if he'd played in the second half of that season then we wouldn't have gone down.

There was a thread on this a while back: http://www.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=136021.

I could never claim to be ITK now, but back in the mid nineties I was. Did a job that brought me into contact with a lot of the goings on at MCFC. (Rather depressing it was too, because the more you found out, the clearer it became just how badly f**ked the club was).

Anyway, one day in January 1996, I was asked to review a facility agreement from a major bank under which they would advance City the first instalment on the purchase of Nigel Clough on condition (spelled out explicitly in the agreement) that City paid it back through the sale of Tony Coton for GBP 470K. Looking back at Soccerbase, the Clough deal went through on 24 January and the Coton deal went through on 31 January, with the player taking a lot of persuading. City were desperate for the deal with United to go ahead.

I was told that Sunderland had offered GBP 500K for Coton and he wanted to go there, but they wanted to pay GBP 250K up front and the rest over 12 month. We needed GBP 470K up front to pay the bank back, and the Rags had enough cash to offer that all up front in one payment. Coton was basically, as I understand, told that he'd be training with the kids if he stayed and would never play even as a last resort.

Ferguson promised Coton that he could go to Sunderland in the summer, and that swung it. Coton decided that he'd rather spend the next four months on the bench at a club challenging for trophies, make a few quid from the signing on fee and then get the move he wanted. Sadly for him, injury finished his career after only a few games for the Mackems.

When the alternative was to be a pariah at a badly run club in the process of going down the pan, can you really blame him? And after that, when he was offered a coaching job at a successful club where he was well thought of in an area of the country where he was settled when no comparable vacancy existed for him at City anyway, why shouldn't he take it? He has to make a living, after all.

People really need to grow up with their view of some of this stuff. Tony Coton is a football professional and he's entitled to make choices based on what's based for his career. He owes City fans nothing when he exercises that judgement, especially as he was treated like crap by our club anyway.

-- Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:51 am --

goatbinfed said:

Yes, we beat Derby 2-1 in the game in which Quinn scored and then saved a penalty (a result that sent Derby down). White scored in the second half to make it 2-0 and Derby pulled one back in the last minute. A pity, as Quinny deserved the clean sheet.

Most impressive thing was the way he handled the corner that resulted from the penalty save. Came out and claimed it with a really confident catch on the penalty spot.

I've seen the likes Bobby Mac and Nigel Gleghorn put in heroic performances as an outfield player in net but Quinn was on a different level. He actually looked like a proper goalkeeper.

Sorry my memory must be fadeing, as I thought it was 1-0, but certainly remember Quinny in goals !

howfen blue said:
Best keeper I've seen in a city shirt Tony turncoat!!

have to agree with ya their pal but i think joe hart will be one of the best keepers ever to play for city if he keeps going the way he is

Prestwich_Blue said:
I think I was better than Eike Immel.

I was better than Immel at 11! (and I actually played in goal).

TC was easily better than Schmiechel (SP) I remember at 1 point PS getting in the PL team of the season when the local comment was he wasn't the best keeper in Manchester never mind the league

Ahhhh so it was all a conspiracy to fund the Clough move, who if I remember rightly played sweeper for about 15games under ball - playing a midfielder in defence, I didn't see that coming!

Also Immell was an awesome shot stopper but pretty much every other part of his game was utter pants, don't think I ever saw him catch a ball as he always opted to punch it.

Dyed Petya said:

I can confirm this story to be 100% true. TC himself read that thread and told me to tell Dyed Petya that he had it spot on (you may remember me messaging you, DP). At the end of the day, TC was forced out of this club by the powers that be - he never wanted to leave. He loves City (after his precious Birmingham City of course) and you will sometimes see him coming along to our games (a lot of people saw him when we played Bolton away last season).

By the way, if you're reading this TC, I've lost your number so can you drop me a text! :o)

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.