Tony Coton

Joycee Banercheck said:
DontLookBackInAnger said:
I would love to find out why he never played for England, I know the story is him and Taylor had "history" from there Watford days.
I wasn't aware of the history bit but I've wondered why he was never picked. He got a few 'England's number 1' chants every time he played. I'm not too sure about this but didn't it take a while for him to win us all over?
Yes it did he replaced Andy Dibble whom many of us really liked and just didn't understand why it was done at the time. Silly thing is Coton getting sent off V Derby was the turning point!

Bluemoonbaldboy said:
Joycee Banercheck said:
I wasn't aware of the history bit but I've wondered why he was never picked. He got a few 'England's number 1' chants every time he played. I'm not too sure about this but didn't it take a while for him to win us all over?
Yes it did he replaced Andy Dibble whom many of us really liked and just didn't understand why it was done at the time. Silly thing is Coton getting sent off V Derby was the turning point!

great save by quinn though. got it on a season review video from when i was little but dont have a vhs to play it in. gutted

Joycee Banercheck said:
I don't think TC was the only sufferer of that regime either. He was a really good 'keeper too.
I would love to find out why he never played for England, I know the story is him and Taylor had "history" from there Watford days.

TC narrowly escaped prison at one point during his career. Graham Taylor thought it would damage Englands reputation if he put Coton in net. It really is as simple as that.

blue_bird said:

TC narrowly escaped prison at one point during his career. Graham Taylor thought it would damage Englands reputation if he put Coton in net. It really is as simple as that.

correct... I chatted to him for an hour in a HK bar about 5 yrs ago.

BUT.. the day before an England game, Swales was the guest of honour at the Chadderton Arms and told us that TC would make his debut the following evening... Swales at the time was chair of the FA committee... TC never made his debut though... So surely swales would have known Taylor's feelings?

I don't think he went straight to Salford Athletic.Peter Reid took him to Sunderland.Injury forced him into retirement where he started coaching.

hrgiger said:
I don't think he went straight to Salford Athletic.Peter Reid took him to Sunderland.Injury forced him into retirement where he started coaching.
No he left us and went to the swamp was number 2 to Schmeichel first he was on the bench for the derby at Maine Road that season

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.