Too many cars on the road

WNRH

My job involves me going out on the road all over the country at times and i am just seeing more and more cars.

50 mph speed limits on motorways more or less touching the car in the next lane.
Trying to navigate down roads and both sides are just rammed with parked cars meaning you are swerving in and out of the spaces across the drives to get past and allow on coming cars to pass.

Just seems like it is never ending.

Owning a car used to be an expensive acquisition that you would save up for a long time, now you see 20 year olds driving round in £20,000 mercs on finance.

Is it only going to get worse? Public transport would alleviate this but it is too expensive and unreliable at times.

I came back to the UK for the first time in 15 years.... i could not believe how many cars and how crap the traffic was .. the M6 was a car park .. sure i saw traffic wardens handing out parking tickets on the M6 ! Also the ability for young adults to purchase expensive cars on tick ....

I'm off to Bristol in a couple of weeks. It would normally cost about £30 in fuel for the round trip, but I am going by train which is going to cost around 3x that and I have to change trains twice. The reason I am happy to do this is that traffic around Bristol is shite. Last time I went, the final 5 miles of the journey took over half the entire journey time.

I had to save for over a year to get my first car, but kids can get spanking new cars on tick. There is a young lad where I work who has a mint green BMW M140i (top spec). Pays for it monthly. Probably pays a shit load on insurance too, but lives with his parents so has shit loads of disposable income. His family have 5 cars between them. No wonder the f**king M6 is a car park.

I've just driven to Italy and back on holiday, and the difference between the motorways on the continent and in the UK couldn't be more stark. In France, Germany, and Italy I hardly ever had to come out of cruise control on the motorways, whilst here I'm in and out so much that its hardly worth using it.

You can enjoy what you are passing for the most part on the continent, while here you have to be 100% focussed on the road ahead. The only place I came across busy roads was around Milan, and had one longish queue where there had been an accident further south in Italy.

My job involves me going out on the road all over the country at times and i am just seeing more and more cars.

50 mph speed limits on motorways more or less touching the car in the next lane.
Trying to navigate down roads and both sides are just rammed with parked cars meaning you are swerving in and out of the spaces across the drives to get past and allow on coming cars to pass.

Just seems like it is never ending.

Owning a car used to be an expensive acquisition that you would save up for a long time, now you see 20 year olds driving round in £20,000 mercs on finance.

Is it only going to get worse? Public transport would alleviate this but it is too expensive and unreliable at times.

Would you take public transport (if it was affordable and reliable) over driving your own car?

All those people stuck in their cars in the rush hour, both to and from work, are rejecting public transport for a reason.

Many people now live and work miles apart, and public transport can't get them to work and back in a reasonable time.

If you have been on a motorway at 6am and seen the number of vehicles, mainly cars, on the road at that time, you have to conclude that for most of the people involved, driving is their only realistic option.

The days of riding your bike a mile to the local works are long gone. We now live in an age where people live so far from where they work, there is no alternative but to drive, hence the congestion.

Public transport is fine if you just want to go to the local town, but not so great if you have to travel who knows how many miles to and from work each day.

Too many people.
Population increase is frightening, too many want to turn a blind eye to this issue though.

Too many people.
Population increase is frightening, too many want to turn a blind eye to this issue though.
It's not too many people it's the infrastructure. Little or no investment over decades and if there is investment then it's poorly done. M25 a case in point. They were told 3 lanes wouldn't hack it. They built it anyway. Now most of it is 4 lanes but around junctions even that's not enough.

Trains need to be cheaper like flying. I regularly get the train to London, 50 minutes, 50 quid return. Go from Northampton, 35 quid, same time. Different operators but I have to drive to that station.

Bad infrastructure and too many people, it's the white elephant in the room that no one wants to talk about. It'll only get worse, whilst people continue to multiply like a virus, aren't population projections 10billion people on the planet in the next 20yrs, it's unsustainable.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.