Too many cars on the road

If 90% of drivers on the motorway didn't stick in the outside lane at between 60-70mph whilst the middle and inside lane are pretty much empty then travelling would be much more of a pleasure.

That feeling or frustration when someone travelling 64 wants to over take someone travelling 63 and takes 5 miles to do so drives me crazy

(Drive about 30,000 miles a year)

Is it time to restrict lorries to the slow lane? There are few more frustrating things than watching one lorry trying to take over another

Also, when was the last time a proper road was built. I'm not taking the Knutford bypass, I'm talking about full scale motorway to deal with the current and future congestion?

Note - I've worked from home for 6 months and my new office is only a 10 minute drive away so I'm not effected by rush hour. However it's clear that the way we are living and working that this lack of infrastructure investment is unsustainable

If 90% of drivers on the motorway didn't stick in the outside lane at between 60-70mph whilst the middle and inside lane are pretty much empty then travelling would be much more of a pleasure.

That feeling or frustration when someone travelling 64 wants to over take someone travelling 63 and takes 5 miles to do so drives me crazy

(Drive about 30,000 miles a year)
People who pull out to overtake lorries and go by them slooowly as they're scared of them is one of my pet hates, soon as it's behind them they speed up to get away from it.

I recently visited the UK and yeas the traffic is shite
We looked at going places on the train but it just seemed ridiculously expensive, 170 quid from Doncaster to Edinbrough, it was so much cheaper to drive everywhere

Maybe privatising the trains wasnt such a great idea.

I've just driven to Italy and back on holiday, and the difference between the motorways on the continent and in the UK couldn't be more stark. In France, Germany, and Italy I hardly ever had to come out of cruise control on the motorways, whilst here I'm in and out so much that its hardly worth using it.

You can enjoy what you are passing for the most part on the continent, while here you have to be 100% focussed on the road ahead. The only place I came across busy roads was around Milan, and had one longish queue where there had been an accident further south in Italy.
Yep noticed the same myself when driving on the continent over the past few years.
Just come back from Croatia (which i highly recommend for a holiday). No traffic jams even around tourist hotspots like Dubrovnik, everyone courteous.
Just think its down to population density and the cost of public transport in the UK.

Or you get the ones who slow down to 15 mph for an accident on the other side of the motorway, when it has absolutely no affect to the side they are travelling down. Why????

Public transport in this country is absolutely shite and expensive. In Germany they have more cars per head, but less congestion as people use the public transport when it's appropriate instead of driving everywhere.

What is needed is massive investment in public transport and fare subsidies. But this will cost a lot of money, and you know what people will say, don't you? They don't see that traffic congestion also costs vast amounts of money, as they don't get an obvious bill for it. The costs are included in things like food prices, as delays to lorries (for example) cost their customers' money. That's the whole problem with this country, we measure "cost" in very simplistic terms. We also waste money on stupid, shit things, like iron rings outside Flint Castle to name but one. There are plenty more.

My job involves me going out on the road all over the country at times and i am just seeing more and more cars.

50 mph speed limits on motorways more or less touching the car in the next lane.
Trying to navigate down roads and both sides are just rammed with parked cars meaning you are swerving in and out of the spaces across the drives to get past and allow on coming cars to pass.

Just seems like it is never ending.

Owning a car used to be an expensive acquisition that you would save up for a long time, now you see 20 year olds driving round in £20,000 mercs on finance.

Is it only going to get worse? Public transport would alleviate this but it is too expensive and unreliable at times.
Is that you Sherlock?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.