Too many vehicles on uk roads

But it depends where you live. Suburbs of a big city, no issues. Rural areas, many people have never seen a bus, never mind used one, because the service is so poor.

I spent years commuting in and out of London and public transport was fantastic, why anyone needs a car within 20 miles of London assuming they work in the City, I dont know. If only everywhere else had a world class transport system where if you missed a bus or train you only had to wait 5 minutes for the next one. Most people in rural areas would be happy if they had a bus once an hour that didnt stop at 8pm.

We live in a rural area 3 buses aday last one back to the village 2pm !

Train station a good 2 mile walk into the next village along narrow country lanes. Rumours are this is about to close as a new parkway station costing over 45m has been built in the middle of nowhere to force you to drive to it ! No buses to it.

Rural life is great but you need a car

But it depends where you live. Suburbs of a big city, no issues. Rural areas, many people have never seen a bus, never mind used one, because the service is so poor.

I spent years commuting in and out of London and public transport was fantastic, why anyone needs a car within 20 miles of London assuming they work in the City, I dont know. If only everywhere else had a world class transport system where if you missed a bus or train you only had to wait 5 minutes for the next one. Most people in rural areas would be happy if they had a bus once an hour that didnt stop at 8pm.
Oh absolutely, things change radically if you live outside a reasonably large settlement. A car is much more necessary then I'd agree. I'm not remotely bothered that people prefer their cars, wherever they live, but the blanket statement that public transport is so bad strikes me as a pat excuse. I'm just glad I never became car-reliant, I feel my life is less complicated and stressful for not having a car.

Oh absolutely, things change radically if you live outside a reasonably large settlement. A car is much more necessary then I'd agree. I'm not remotely bothered that people prefer their cars, wherever they live, but the blanket statement that public transport is so bad strikes me as a pat excuse. I'm just glad I never became car-reliant, I feel my life is less complicated and stressful for not having a car.
Purchase price
Insurance
Road tax
Fuel
Condition of roads & roadworks
Driving in heavy traffic
Frequency of traffic lights
Random hazards (eg lycraman, white van man and boy racers).
Trying to find a place to park.
Oh the joys of motoring and the freedom of the open road.....

None of the above when you can use the bus.

Purchase price
Insurance
Road tax
Fuel
Driving in heavy traffic

You'd still have the heavy traffic, traffic lights. Just wouldn't be you doing the driving.

When I lived in Prague, I never used a car but where I live now, it would be impossible to do much without one. I'll be happy when I move back to Prague in July and will never need a car again.

Try being a full time driving Instructor for 26 years.
Yes it‘s the volume of cars on the road but 70% of the people inside them are complete clueless numbskulls.

We live in a rural area 3 buses aday last one back to the village 2pm !

Train station a good 2 mile walk into the next village along narrow country lanes. Rumours are this is about to close as a new parkway station costing over 45m has been built in the middle of nowhere to force you to drive to it ! No buses to it.

Rural life is great but you need a car
God forbid that you need to cross a line between counties for the limited services that do you pay a massive premium yet the distance between stops can be less than 5 miles.
Or the other classic where no local buses run over the border, the one bus that does, doesn't have any stops on the road. So if you want to catch the bus that goes across the border you have to travel 10 miles in the opposite direction to a main hub to catch the bus that then drives drives 10 miles back down the road you've just come from.

God forbid that you need to cross a line between counties for the limited services that do you pay a massive premium yet the distance between stops can be less than 5 miles.
Or the other classic where no local buses run over the border, the one bus that does, doesn't have any stops on the road. So if you want to catch the bus that goes across the border you have to travel 10 miles in the opposite direction to a main hub to catch the bus that then drives drives 10 miles back down the road you've just come from.
Is that the border between Mcr/trafford or Stalybridge and Hyde?

Purchase price
Insurance
Road tax
Fuel
Driving in heavy traffic

Wish I could double like this, I have no idea how much car insurance, parking, etc costs but I guess it's quite a lot given how much motorists tend to whinge about it. I've never used a petrol pump, which I'm extremely glad about, they look bloody dangerous to me.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.