Top 6 mini league 17/18

Now you're close to sound like Roy Keane recently. Again I wouldn't be surprised if it happens, either it being typical City or because that is what simply happens in football over and over again. You expect it because of the City past. Simples. Hardly bizarre.

We have to move on from Cityitis and the whole typical City piece. The whole club, including supporters has to change mentality. Lots of teams, including the top ones, use the typical expression when they screw up.

This City side has been in good and progressively improving form throughout 2017 and no good reason exists to suggest they should not continue to prosper.

I agree with you entirely that we should take it one game at a time. We should, and I have no doubt Pep takes this approach, assume the next game will be tough, prepare accordingly, and avoid complacency.

Have to say, I didn't see Arsenal winning that one, but it doesn't harm us that they did. Anyway the results of games between the top 6 teams are as follows:

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags
Spurs 4 v 1 Liverpool
Rags 1 v 0 Spurs
City 3 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Rags
Arsenal 2 v 0 Spurs

These then are the standings

1 City played 3 points 9
2 Chelsea played 4 points 7
3 Rags played 3 points 4
3 Liverpool played 4 points 4
5 Arsenal played 4 points 4
6 Spurs played 4 points 3

I still think Spurs will be our closest challengers come the business end of the season. There is no way the rags are better than any team in the league bar us. But what will really hurt Spurs are these mini league performances. Away at Arsenal- lost. Away at the rags - lost. Home to Chelsea- lost. We don't look like losing to anyone ATM but I suspect we will have a rough patch at some point - most clubs do. But if we do, the ground Spurs are losing in games like this is why they still won't catch us.

Have to say, I didn't see Arsenal winning that one, but it doesn't harm us that they did. Anyway the results of games between the top 6 teams are as follows:

Spurs 1 v 2 Chelsea
Liverpool 4 v 0 Arsenal
City 5 v 0 Liverpool
Chelsea 0 v 0 Arsenal
Chelsea 0 v 1 City
Liverpool 0 v 0 Rags
Spurs 4 v 1 Liverpool
Rags 1 v 0 Spurs
City 3 v 1 Arsenal
Chelsea 1 v 0 Rags
Arsenal 2 v 0 Spurs

These then are the standings

1 City played 3 points 9
2 Chelsea played 4 points 7
3 Rags played 3 points 4
3 Liverpool played 4 points 4
5 Arsenal played 4 points 4
6 Spurs played 4 points 3

I still think Spurs will be our closest challengers come the business end of the season. There is no way the rags are better than any team in the league bar us. But what will really hurt Spurs are these mini league performances. Away at Arsenal- lost. Away at the rags - lost. Home to Chelsea- lost. We don't look like losing to anyone ATM but I suspect we will have a rough patch at some point - most clubs do. But if we do, the ground Spurs are losing in games like this is why they still won't catch us.

Spurs won't be challenging anyone. You just can't afford a record like this against the top 6. Cost us last season.

From what I have seen so far.

Spurs will bottle the big games and are too far behind us already. Will have the odd slip up at Wembley, too reliant on Individual players.

Liverpool look decent on their day but too inconsistent and vulnerable at the back. Too far behind us.

Arsenal always have a good day like today in them but a stinker like Watford away in them and don't take enough points in the top 6 games. Too far behind us. Their game against the rags is crucial to them.

For me The only two teams close enough to challenge still are.....

Chelsea - starting to look decent again. For me they will be 2nd behind us.

United - will win a lot of games at home and still bully the smaller clubs. Prediction - 3rd.

Between Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool for 4th. If pushed I would say Arsenal will get it for the simple reason the CL will impact the other two.

Spurs won't be challenging anyone. You just can't afford a record like this against the top 6. Cost us last season.

From what I have seen so far.

Spurs will bottle the big games and are too far behind us already. Will have the odd slip up at Wembley, too reliant on Individual players.

Liverpool look decent on their day but too inconsistent and vulnerable at the back. Too far behind us.

Arsenal always have a good day like today in them but a stinker like Watford away in them and don't take enough points in the top 6 games. Too far behind us. Their game against the rags is crucial to them.

For me The only two teams close enough to challenge still are.....

Chelsea - starting to look decent again. For me they will be 2nd behind us.

United - will win a lot of games at home and still bully the smaller clubs. Prediction - 3rd.

Between Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool for 4th. If pushed I would say Arsenal will get it for the simple reason the CL will impact the other two.

Think you’ve hit the nail on the head there

Liverpool v Chelsea next week. Could do with scousers picking something up in that one.

to put a different spin on it:

1. Man City P12 W11 D1 L0 GS: 40, GC: 7, GD: +33, Pts: 34.
Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 26, GC: 11, GD: +15, Pts: 22.

So we are 12 points better off compared to the same fixtures last season, and 18 goals better off on goal difference. Note: Brighton away has been subbed in for Boro away as Boro finished 19th in PL and Brighton finished 2nd. I'll be doing that throughout so Newcastle will replace Sunderland, Brighton replace Boro and Huddersfield replace Hull.

2. Man Utd P12 W8 D2 L2 GS: 27, GC: 6, GD: +21, Pts: 26.
Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W6 D5 L1 GS: 17, GC: 10, GD: +7, Pts: 23.

So the Rags are only 3 points better off, showing that they've only really done as they did last year, which perhaps shows the calibre of the opposition. They've stopped drawing so many games, which gives them 2 extra wins, but the trade off is the loss at Huddersfield which costs them an extra 3 points. Clearly a bit better than they were, but it's not a remarkable turnaround like ours.

3. Chelsea P12 W8 D1 L3 GS: 23, GC: 10, GD: +13, Pts: 25.
Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W11 D0 L1 GS: 31, GC: 9, GD: +22, Pts: 33.

So Chelsea have had a large drop-off from last season. They mullered the opposition in the same fixtures last time, and have faced no newly promoted sides so it's a direct comparison. The big positive was winning at Spurs, where they lost last season, but 3 poor home results (losses to us and Burnley and draw to Arsenal) and a defeat at Palace has left them with ground to make up.

4. Spurs Pld 12 W7 D2 L3 GS: 20, GC: 9, GD: +11, Pts: 23.
Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 24, GC: 7, GD: +17, Pts: 22.

So bizarrely, where you would think Spurs are actually doing worse this season and writing themselves out of the title race, you can actually see they struggled a bit in these fixtures last season and this was likely where they lost the title then too. Spurs results have fluctuated more compared to last season, they won at West Ham after losing last year, and beat Liverpool and Everton after draws last season. However, they've also lost at home to Chelsea (which they won), and lost to Arsenal where they drew, and drawn to Burnley and Swansea which they won last season. So Spurs have really underachieved in that set of fixtures 2 seasons in a row.

5. Liverpool Pld 12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 24, GC: 17, GD: +7, Pts: 22.
Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W5 D5 L2 GS: 21, GC: 12, GD: +9, Pts: 20.

Liverpool another weird one, 2 points better off than last season despite looking like they're struggling. Loss to us the big result change, but they've picked up wins over Burnley, Leicester and Southampton which they slipped up in last season. They went on a really good run in some of their other fixtures last season so if they managed that again they could swiftly move up the table. They had a bad show in this set of fixtures last year, and have only done slightly better but they're still lurking.

6. Arsenal Pld 12 W7 D1 L4 GS: 22, GC: 16, GD: +6, Pts: 22.
Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W6 D2 L4 GS: 20, GC: 16, GD: +4, Pts: 20.

Arsenal much like Liverpool are slightly better off than last season where they really struggled in those games. Big results at Chelsea and today against Spurs boost their record, but losses to Stoke and Watford have kept them back so far.

So to summarise, if you replace the relegated teams from last season with the corresponding promoted teams, the league tables for exactly the same matches played are:

Last Season:

1. Chelsea P12 W11 D0 L1 GS: 31, GC: 9, GD: +22, Pts: 33.
2. Man Utd P12 W6 D5 L1 GS: 17, GC: 10, GD: +7, Pts: 23.
3. Spurs P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 24, GC: 7, GD: +17, Pts: 22.
4. Man City P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 26, GC: 11, GD: +15, Pts: 22.
5. Liverpool P12 W5 D5 L2 GS: 21, GC: 12, GD: +9, Pts: 20.
6. Arsenal P12 W6 D2 L4 GS: 20, GC: 16, GD: +4, Pts: 20.

This Season:

4. Spurs P12 W7 D2 L3 GS: 20, GC: 9, GD: +11, Pts: 23.
5. Liverpool P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 24, GC: 17, GD: +7, Pts: 22.
6. Arsenal P12 W7 D1 L4 GS: 22, GC: 16, GD: +6, Pts: 22.

So we've made some very valuable gains in the first third of the season, now we have to keep it up.

to put a different spin on it:

Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 26, GC: 11, GD: +15, Pts: 22.

So we are 12 points better off compared to the same fixtures last season, and 18 goals better off on goal difference. Note: Brighton away has been subbed in for Boro away as Boro finished 19th in PL and Brighton finished 2nd. I'll be doing that throughout so Newcastle will replace Sunderland, Brighton replace Boro and Huddersfield replace Hull.

Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W6 D5 L1 GS: 17, GC: 10, GD: +7, Pts: 23.

So the Rags are only 3 points better off, showing that they've only really done as they did last year, which perhaps shows the calibre of the opposition. They've stopped drawing so many games, which gives them 2 extra wins, but the trade off is the loss at Huddersfield which costs them an extra 3 points. Clearly a bit better than they were, but it's not a remarkable turnaround like ours.

Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W11 D0 L1 GS: 31, GC: 9, GD: +22, Pts: 33.

So Chelsea have had a large drop-off from last season. They mullered the opposition in the same fixtures last time, and have faced no newly promoted sides so it's a direct comparison. The big positive was winning at Spurs, where they lost last season, but 3 poor home results (losses to us and Burnley and draw to Arsenal) and a defeat at Palace has left them with ground to make up.

4. Spurs Pld 12 W7 D2 L3 GS: 20, GC: 9, GD: +11, Pts: 23.
Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 24, GC: 7, GD: +17, Pts: 22.

So bizarrely, where you would think Spurs are actually doing worse this season and writing themselves out of the title race, you can actually see they struggled a bit in these fixtures last season and this was likely where they lost the title then too. Spurs results have fluctuated more compared to last season, they won at West Ham after losing last year, and beat Liverpool and Everton after draws last season. However, they've also lost at home to Chelsea (which they won), and lost to Arsenal where they drew, and drawn to Burnley and Swansea which they won last season. So Spurs have really underachieved in that set of fixtures 2 seasons in a row.

5. Liverpool Pld 12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 24, GC: 17, GD: +7, Pts: 22.
Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W5 D5 L2 GS: 21, GC: 12, GD: +9, Pts: 20.

Liverpool another weird one, 2 points better off than last season despite looking like they're struggling. Loss to us the big result change, but they've picked up wins over Burnley, Leicester and Southampton which they slipped up in last season. They went on a really good run in some of their other fixtures last season so if they managed that again they could swiftly move up the table. They had a bad show in this set of fixtures last year, and have only done slightly better but they're still lurking.

6. Arsenal Pld 12 W7 D1 L4 GS: 22, GC: 16, GD: +6, Pts: 22.
Same Fixtures* - 16/17: P12 W6 D2 L4 GS: 20, GC: 16, GD: +4, Pts: 20.

Arsenal much like Liverpool are slightly better off than last season where they really struggled in those games. Big results at Chelsea and today against Spurs boost their record, but losses to Stoke and Watford have kept them back so far.

So to summarise, if you replace the relegated teams from last season with the corresponding promoted teams, the league tables for exactly the same matches played are:

Last Season:

1. Chelsea P12 W11 D0 L1 GS: 31, GC: 9, GD: +22, Pts: 33.
2. Man Utd P12 W6 D5 L1 GS: 17, GC: 10, GD: +7, Pts: 23.
3. Spurs P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 24, GC: 7, GD: +17, Pts: 22.
4. Man City P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 26, GC: 11, GD: +15, Pts: 22.
5. Liverpool P12 W5 D5 L2 GS: 21, GC: 12, GD: +9, Pts: 20.
6. Arsenal P12 W6 D2 L4 GS: 20, GC: 16, GD: +4, Pts: 20.

This Season:

4. Spurs P12 W7 D2 L3 GS: 20, GC: 9, GD: +11, Pts: 23.
5. Liverpool P12 W6 D4 L2 GS: 24, GC: 17, GD: +7, Pts: 22.
6. Arsenal P12 W7 D1 L4 GS: 22, GC: 16, GD: +6, Pts: 22.

So we've made some very valuable gains in the first third of the season, now we have to keep it up.

Awesome post. Huge amount of research in that - must have taken ages (unless you cut and pasted it from somewhere else!)

Interesting that apart from City and Chelsea who have basically swapped places the rest are pretty much 'as you were'.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.