totally underwhelmed

As I've mentioned in the transfer forum, Mancini is making a carbon copy of his successful Inter tactic; the only thing we are missing is a Cambiasso type of player. Instead, we are playing an anchorman in there (De Jong) which means that we're a little limited when moving the ball between defence and midfield as he only tends to pass short, thus making the team bunch up.

Mancini although young, is not a manager who will sit there and experiment with brand new ideas, that have come out of the blue. He has set formations and tactics in his mind that he sticks to, rotating and tweaking them depending on his players and his opposition.
Mancini actually said in a lecture in 2008 that no new football styles will be found now, the only thing that will get better is the physical preparation of games.

People have said exactly this for hundreds of years in football and have been proved wrong time and time again.

The idea that he is playing negative football is, in my opinion, incorrect. He is playing a tactic that can evolve during the game from a 4-3-2-1 into a 4-4-2, or a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1. It's a variation of the old Zona Mista tactic, and it's roots are in the catenaccio football that the Italians invented. However, his version is a little different as he uses alternate wingers who cut in rather than go wide, so it does draw influences from Spanish football (or maybe even United a few seasons ago, especially using Silva and Tevez the way he did against Spurs).

fathellensbellend said:
regardless of the influx of new players, bonding etc, i cannot help but feel mancini again yesterday served up more of his anti football and without the brilliance of joe hart his negativity would once again have been exposed.

to my mind thats 7 games out of 8 against top sides under mancini tenure where we have barely mustered a shot. everton home and away last season, liverpool at home, arsenal away, utd at home. and now spurs at home and away. (the exception chelsea away)

in a sport that is results driven, it's just such a turn off, you work all week, spend a small fortune on tickets and travel and the manager cannot even be arsed to commit any players forward.

i suppose in the context of the league a 0-0 at spurs is a bloody good result, but the method and the style just doesn't appeal to me one bit.

i expect to get shot down in flames, but it's a forum and it's my view, and i want to see city trying to win games, not stifle the life out of them, and that has become a regular trend under mancini against the top sides.

you my friend , should take the 'fathellens' off your name for making me negative :(

GStar said:
Interesting... i hope it eventually begins to work.

I'm a bit worried if he is copying his Inter tactics, Italian league football will hardly transfer successfully into PL football.
why not? so what is PL football? blackburn, fulham style? or Arsenal? maybe united style? Chelsea style can be the one?

you have been reading the daily rags and believe what you read , quite remarkable , this is a relatively new group with little or no prep leading into the first game of the season away to spurs your expectations are up there when they should be lowered. in one months time with no injuries we will start to perform, be patient and stop reacting to the negative publicity , ive never read so much shite/misinformation about one club. oh and joe hart did his job and he would be the first to say it.

Live long and prosper.

Damocles said:
As I've mentioned in the transfer forum, Mancini is making a carbon copy of his successful Inter tactic; the only thing we are missing is a Cambiasso type of player. Instead, we are playing an anchorman in there (De Jong) which means that we're a little limited when moving the ball between defence and midfield as he only tends to pass short, thus making the team bunch up.

Mancini although young, is not a manager who will sit there and experiment with brand new ideas, that have come out of the blue. He has set formations and tactics in his mind that he sticks to, rotating and tweaking them depending on his players and his opposition.
Mancini actually said in a lecture in 2008 that no new football styles will be found now, the only thing that will get better is the physical preparation of games.

People have said exactly this for hundreds of years in football and have been proved wrong time and time again.

The idea that he is playing negative football is, in my opinion, incorrect. He is playing a tactic that can evolve during the game from a 4-3-2-1 into a 4-4-2, or a 4-3-3 or a 4-5-1. It's a variation of the old Zona Mista tactic, and it's roots are in the catenaccio football that the Italians invented. However, his version is a little different as he uses alternate wingers who cut in rather than go wide, so it does draw influences from Spanish football (or maybe even United a few seasons ago, especially using Silva and Tevez the way he did against Spurs).
Great and interesting post!!

I hope you can clarify my below question:

As I haven't followed Inter at all!; if you compare it to AC Milan's formation (during Kaka days), were they different? (Milan's Anceloti team used to play in a 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree formation)

Outlaw said:
Damocles said:

As I haven't followed Inter at all!; if you compare it to AC Milan's formation (during Kaka days), were they different? (Milan's Anceloti team used to play in a 4-3-2-1 Christmas tree formation)

To be fair Sir Alf did exactly the same in 1966. he had his system of playing and then picked his best 11 players to play it. Thus leaving out the likes of Jimmy Greaves and the introduction of Jack charlton. The policy now at England level is to pick the so called best 11 players and then find a system that they can all play in, hence Gerrard and Lampard playing in the same team and neither being any good for England compared to club level. Hopefully if Mancini has a system he thinks will be successful he'll be given time to make it work for us! Not a bad start 1 point better off than last season and Spuds 2 points worse off!

Mr Ed (The Stables) said:
Outlaw said:

To be fair Sir Alf did exactly the same in 1966. he had his system of playing and then picked his best 11 players to play it. Thus leaving out the likes of Jimmy Greaves and the introduction of Jack charlton. The policy now at England level is to pick the so called best 11 players and then find a system that they can all play in, hence Gerrard and Lampard playing in the same team and neither being any good for England compared to club level. Hopefully if Mancini has a system he thinks will be successful he'll be given time to make it work for us! Not a bad start 1 point better off than last season and Spuds 2 points worse off!

I agree with you on both the England squad part and Mancini's system.

Getting one point after the end of Tottenham's insane match (mostly first half!!), was a great result in my opinion. Hopefully, we will be able to see the real shape of our squad after the next 2-3 games (and getting all of our transfer targets!!).

zeven said:
GStar said:

I'm a bit worried if he is copying his Inter tactics, Italian league football will hardly transfer successfully into PL football.
why not? so what is PL football? blackburn, fulham style? or Arsenal? maybe united style? Chelsea style can be the one?

Watch Serie A, watch the Premier League. Its a different approach.

GStar said:

And the current European champions are ?? ;)

Why not bring a different style to the prem ? Prem teams are used to prem style football so sommat a bit different could give us an edge..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.