Toys from your childhood

Urban myth alert!
While they gave rise to safety concerns in the UK, no ban was ever imposed. They were though taken off the market in North America for the same reason.

If I remember rightly they were first banned from schools the fad like every other fad died out and the manufacturers stopped making them.

I can't find a definitive source to support if they were or were not banned though most sources support the opinion that they were banned.

For anyone who hasn't seen them in action here they are.

Fucking hell can't believe I forgot about this. I loved it !! Could never understand why people got excited about subutteo when their legs didn't move or anything. Just had to be careful not to press the head too hard. Played it a lot but the rags were never ever allowed to win.
The following tune captures memories of those childhood subutteo tournaments perfectly.

Last edited:
View attachment 117576

This was the most excited I got as a kid at Christmas. We literally had zero cash growing up but my parents managed to get me the Crash Test Dummies test centre. What made it even more unimaginable for my mum to let me have, was that my dad had crashed a car with me in the back a year or so earlier.

Yah this is the setup for the movie Enter The Void

If I remember rightly they were first banned from schools the fad like every other fad died out and the manufacturers stopped making them.

I can't find a definitive source to support if they were or were not banned though most sources support the opinion that they were banned.

For anyone who hasn't seen them in action here they are.

In fairness, I'm sure you're right in that some schools forbid pupils from taking them in when stories emerged of wrists having been shattered. Nothing worse than an exploding clacker in my experience.

In fairness, I'm sure you're right in that some schools forbid pupils from taking them in when stories emerged of wrists having been shattered. Nothing worse than an exploding clacker in my experience.

That video of the child playing it looked horrific to be fair, if they weren't banned they should have been :)

I used to cycle regularly from Stockport to the airport and stand on top of the terminal with my CAM in hand.. has no clue really what I was looking for but enjoyed the experience…

I did the same thing at Ringway but we didn't have camcorders or phones we just wrote down the numbers of the planes, I lasted a summer although the lad I went with is now a civil pilot.

That video of the child playing it looked horrific to be fair, if they weren't banned they should have been :)
Even one of the test lab technicians in that video is pictured crouching with his hands over his eyes! Presumably, they couldn't run to the expense of safety goggles.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.