Toys from your childhood

As a child I always wanted a Scalextric (or TCR) but it wasn't a goer. I waited till the day my firstborn had developed sufficient fine motor skills to press shit and went out and bought shitloads of the stuff :-)
I was strictly scalextric and had completely forgotten about tcr , just googled it out of curiosity as I vaguely recalled it’s ability to change lane , I also remember great big version of scalextric at butlins somewhere early 80’s

Back in the day in Stirling I was an ABC Minor at the Regal Cinema. The most exciting competition ever was in 1966 with the chance to win a “MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E” suitcase!!!
The ultimate totally unobtainable dream prize. A kid who lived near me won it and for the next few months there was a succession of kids just going to his house to have a look at it.
The other “must have” toys were the James Bond and Batman cars.

I was strictly scalextric and had completely forgotten about tcr , just googled it out of curiosity as I vaguely recalled it’s ability to change lane , I also remember great big version of scalextric at butlins somewhere early 80’s

Apparently TCR lane changing didn't work that well and early versions gave you an electric shock if you picked the cars up! I think quite a few butlins had those massive versions.

My favourite was actually a doll. about a foot tall, he was a Grenadier Guardsman. Loved him to bits. I called him Dennis Harry, no idea why...but I wanted to be one of them.

Eventually I lost him....My big brother one day threw him on the fire (we had a coal fire then) and he melted. I've had psychological problems ever since.:) I have a picture of me and him somewhere.

Fucking hell can't believe I forgot about this. I loved it !! Could never understand why people got excited about subutteo when their legs didn't move or anything. Just had to be careful not to press the head too hard. Played it a lot but the rags were never ever allowed to win.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.