Train Fares Going Up Again

LongsightM13 said:
strongbowholic said:
totallywired said:
The joys of the tory privatisation coming home to roost. parasites.
Not defending privatisation or slating nationalisation with this question, but given the state of the rolling stock and the service in general when it was nationalised do you think we'd have seen the improvements we currently have if it was still nationalised?
A lot of the rolling stock is still scandalously old, dirty and decrepit, especially on regional commuter services like North West Trains, East Midlands Trains etc

And the problem here is that because franchises are only awarded for relatively short periods of time, operators are reluctant to spend big on rolling stock when there's no guarantee they will still be the operator in a few years
The only way round this is to award 20 year franchises

strongbowholic said:
Not defending privatisation or slating nationalisation with this question, but given the state of the rolling stock and the service in general when it was nationalised do you think we'd have seen the improvements we currently have if it was still nationalised?

Definitely not. I remember BR, and not through rose tinted specs. It was shit. We will suffer its lack of investment for many years to come.

some top tips from our own Martin Lewis.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2012/08/rail-fares-could-rise-by-6-2-as-inflation-figures-revealed#cut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/t ... vealed#cut</a>

lets pretend that labour gave a shit when they were in power for 13 years as they attack the tories for doing just the same as they did

every government has fucked us over on ''public transport'' and no it should never have been privatised

and no it should not be run for profit as it is necessary public infrastructure that should be run for the good of the nation

re-nationalise it

strongbowholic said:
totallywired said:
The joys of the tory privatisation coming home to roost. parasites.
The fact that the government is still pouring millions into the `privatised` railway then yes i do. The massive payments and bonuses that we the tax payer are funding, for the directors of the TOCS. would go straight in the service.

johnny on the spot said:
3% above inflation. Robbing bastards.

Some workers now paying 15% of their wages just to get there.

so they should, no good just covering inflation, they would just stand still. more profit and it can improve carridges and timetables. good on em i say.

The Pink Panther said:
LongsightM13 said:
strongbowholic said:
A lot of the rolling stock is still scandalously old, dirty and decrepit, especially on regional commuter services like North West Trains, East Midlands Trains etc

And the problem here is that because franchises are only awarded for relatively short periods of time, operators are reluctant to spend big on rolling stock when there's no guarantee they will still be the operator in a few years
The only way round this is to award 20 year franchises
No just renationalise it, stop paying huge bonuses to the directors. How the fuck can network rail justify paying bonuses to themselves out of our money. These so called private rail companies are still funded by the government! We are being ripped off big style.

I use the rail network all the time to get to uni, my train fare between my home station and Liverpool is between £9.75-£12 per day, depending on what time I travel. I have a railcard so I get a third off, if I didn't have one it would be a fiver more per day. Compared to the continent our fares are exorbitant, and do we get the service to match? Of course we fucking don't. We get a shocking service compared to that provided by the French and German networks, for example. The Government always says there's record investment. Do we get any of that? Of course not. It's all in London providing new lines they don't need while we roll around on old, uncomfortable, cramped trains which should've been broken up years ago. It's not as if the profits the operating companies make go back into the network. It just goes into the pockets of the big bosses. The irony of ironies is that Northern Rail, who provide our local services around Manchester, is part-owned by the Dutch state rail company. So they're exploiting our rail system to improve their home rail network!!

de niro said:
johnny on the spot said:
3% above inflation. Robbing bastards.

Some workers now paying 15% of their wages just to get there.

so they should, no good just covering inflation, they would just stand still. more profit and it can improve carridges and timetables. good on em i say.
But it's not going towards any of that, it's just going in the pockets of Branson and co. We spend more taxpayers' money on our privatised network than France and Germany do on their (far, far superior) state-run networks. Privatisation has been an utter disaster and the government should cut its losses and bring it all back in-house. It can't be any worse, and it can be far more efficient.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.