Trains Back After Wembley Will Be ''Dry''

Mad Eyed Screamer

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/alcohol-banned-london-return-trains-6743482" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/ ... ns-6743482</a>

Alcohol banned on London return trains after Capital One Cup final

British Transport Police have moved to prohibit the consumption of alcohol on board trains heading north following Sunday's showpiece fixture at Wembley.

Manchester City fans returning from the Capital One Cup final by train will be prevented from consuming alcohol.

British Transport Police have announced that all Virgin services heading north from London Euston on Sunday from 4.37pm onwards will be 'dry'.

Kick-off at Wembley is scheduled for 2pm.

A statement on the BTP website read: "Officers, together with our partners in the rail industry, will focus on ensuring the safe travel of Sunderland and Manchester City fans, together with other passengers, on the rail network into and out of London, and to Wembley Stadium station.

"Around 40,000 fans are expected to make their way to Wembley to watch the game on Sunday 2 March, with a significant number of them using trains to reach the venue for the 2pm kick off.

"Officers will be at stations and on board trains alongside travelling fans on the way to and from London to answer any questions passengers may have and to provide up-to-the-minute information and general safety and travel advice.

"All fans should be aware of the following travel advice and information provided by train operators."

And a further note regarding Virgin's services, which are likely to be swarmed with Blues supporters, added: "'Dry' trains will operate on return services from London, starting with the 16.37 service from London Euston up to and including the 21.51 service.

"Alcohol cannot be bought, carried or consumed on board."

Virgin Trains just told me on that there Twitter thingee that you can still take alcohol on the way down though.

Can't see the problem there. Anyone should be able to go 3 or 4 hours without a drink. Plenty of time to celebrate/drown your sorrows when you get back to Manchester.

I think they've got it the wrong way round. Trains down might be a bit easier to enforce and fairer too. I couldn't think of anything worse than not having a celebratory can or two on the way back.

peoffrey said:
I think they've got it the wrong way round. Trains down might be a bit easier to enforce and fairer too. I couldn't think of anything worse than not having a celebratory can or two on the way back.

It is the reason those very small bottles of spirits were produced..... slip two of them into your bottle of coke and the job's a good 'en

scall said:
Virgin Trains just told me on that there Twitter thingee that you can still take alcohol on the way down though.
Yeah just seen that, tweeted to make sure they meant drink & not carry on & yes we can drink.

Mad Eyed Screamer said:
peoffrey said:

It is the reason those very small bottles of spirits were produced..... slip two of them into your bottle of coke and the job's a good 'en

Am I cynical enough to think they'll search you thoroughly or even confiscate any drinks that look a bit suspect? I watched a documentary on the trains and Liverpool fans were trying every trick to get the beers on board.

Yup, they will. I think was the FA Cup semi they decided to have dry trains down. Every bottle of liquid was opened and checked.

It's not my fault my vimto smelt of red wine...it got chucked in a wheelie bin m

jimharri said:
Can't see the problem there. Anyone should be able to go 3 or 4 hours without a drink. Plenty of time to celebrate/drown your sorrows when you get back to Manchester.

Of course people can go 3/4 hours without a drink but it should be personal choice.

Pathetic measures, football fans getting treated like shit as always

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.