Turkey v Italy | Euro 2020 Group Stage

90 amazing team
96 amazing team
2018 lucky draw

like rashford but ole played him into ground
Sterling needs a rest
Henderson needs putting down
Rashford and Sterling both have superb movement, but make poor decisions at the decisive times. Sterling dithers and Rashford shoots from everywhere.

Grealish and Foden start and we can go places.

Is that Jenas on bbc commentary. Can’t he pronounce area? Sick of him already with his pronunciation ‘eerie err’...

Good performance from Italy they look a strong team. I guess the big question marks are what did they actually beat, and their defence against a bit of pace that's not continually offside.

Good performance from Italy they look a strong team. I guess the big question marks are what did they actually beat, and their defence against a bit of pace that's not continually offside.
Turkey's record has been pretty decent in the last couple of years. They were truly awful today though (and their kit must be the ugliest in the tournament) but maybe that was because Italy didn't let them play. Hard to tell at this early stage.

Turkey's record has been pretty decent in the last couple of years. They were truly awful today though (and their kit must be the ugliest in the tournament) but maybe that was because Italy didn't let them play. Hard to tell at this early stage.
Definitely hard to tell, Turkey were poor. Italy played a fairly high defensive line, I think there will be a few forwards fancying a foot race with Chiellini and Bonucci though.

I do too, but we won’t. England have been good in 3 tournaments in my lifetime. The last one was a fluke.

I just can’t get my hopes up as we’re tactically inept and can’t work out how to play our best players.

I’ll be cockahoop if Henderson, Rashford and Sterling are dropped for more progressive players.
90, 96 and 2018?

England went far in all three but were pretty garbage in them as well. All three were pretty flukey.

1990 - piss poor in the groups, fluked Belgium and were lucky against Cameroon.

1996 - Fluked Spain on pens who battered England. One great performance against Holland. Probably the best chance to win a tournament as squad wise Spain, Italy and France were the three best teams. Shit Germany team ground it out and had their own luck.

2018 - first good (not great) team faced, outplayed and out against Croatia. lost to Belgium in the group and and third place play off and beat Tunisia in added time. Scraped past Colombia and beat a tripe Sweden….

So is that what one decent team beat convincingly since 90? Oh and maybe Argentina in 98 as well.

For me the problem with England is two fold the majority of the time. The problem is the FA and often having a shite manager.

The FA ensure certain players are picked by popularity. This is why Clough was never the England manager. He would not be told who to pick or how to play. However, often even when the players are talented enough despite the FA instructions, the squad is let down by shite managers. The importance of a manager can’t be understated in international tournament football.

Players wise I think 2000-2006 has been the best back to front for England and Sven has probably been the best manager tactically.

I think this squad is the most exciting attacking wise but lacks a good goalie and depth in defence and central midfield.

Manager wise….I’d say Southgate is on par with Hodgson. Average. Uninspiring. A yes man. A good manager could really make a difference to this squad.

Brilliant display from Italy. They were all over Turkey from the start.

Bobby has them playing some good football; nothing like you’d expect from an Italian team.

Definitely ones to watch for the title.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.