Two more retail companies look doomed

Think it was quite novel when it first arrived here in Blighty but yeah bang average at best and overpriced. Not been in one for a good 2 or 3 years.
was a novelty , I took my family to the one in Sale after I'd been taken there for lunch after a demo at Sun Microsystems in Sale. Salesman who took us was an American.

TGI Fridays have collapsed. 87 stores and around 1500 staff at risk
Back in the mid 80s it was a big treat when the old man would drive us all the way from Radcliffe to the one in/ near Wilmslow, which I think was the only one back then. It was the dog’s bollocks to a teenager and reserved for special occasions.
Didn’t go in one again until about 2000 when I went to the one at what used to be Prestwich hospital. A mate worked there so got a good deal on the drinks and the bill :)
In the 20-odd years since, despite living in the US, I’m not sure I’ve ever been to one again. I had heard they’d dropped off big-time. No suprise, as the only way to survive in that game now is to be low-volume/ high quality and price, or high-volume/ low quality and price. Those stuck in the middle are shafted.

Before Waxy O’Connor’s opened in Soho the mid-90s the TGI unit at Haymarket took more money than any licensed venue in the country. It used to comfortably take six figures a week in the early nineties, which was an astonishing sum of money back then. In relative terms that’s more than the Manchester and Birmingham Schloss each takes now.

Visited quite a few up and down the country up to about twenty years ago, but as others have said they became increasingly expensive for what they were. Went with my dad to the one next to Wembley after the Cup final last May and was shocked at the cost versus the quality on offer. It was nearly as disappointing as the game!

So not altogether surprising really, but I think it could survive in a smaller format. They’ll have some poorly performing units with huge rents which will have dragged the rest down, so I think the IP will most likely fuck those off and maybe sell the good units (of which there are several) as a job lot in the current format, give or take. Think there’s still probably a market for the brand, albeit in a slimmed down form.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.