Txiki Begiristain...

Re: Marwood v Mancini

jimharri said:
http://forums.bluemoon-mcfc.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=270192

Front page of the forum, fives topics down.

I did say apologies if posted. I'm sure a mod will merge it.

Thread nazi ;)

Dribble said:
From what I can see, the abject failure of the last transfer window has to be laid squarely at the feet of Marwood, a man with no track record in football management or administration.

Why the blame on Marwood?

Surely all Mancini had to do was recognise these players were not good enough,and refuse their recruitment,while waiting for the Jan window to purchase better?
Regardless of 1st,2nd or 3rd choice Mancini chose these players - if you need to,there lies your blame.

bapi said:
it's an excellent article but not what you could call encouraging from City's point of view, especially with our exit from the CL at the group stage virtually certain.
The only club that looks vulnerable is Manchester City, whose loss for FFP is still a frightening £142 million. Indeed, the club’s sporting director Brian Marwood admitted, “We’ve got a huge amount of work ahead of us to make sure we are sustainable.” They will benefit from rapid revenue growth, both in terms of distributions from the Champions League and (especially) new commercial deals, but the chances are that their losses will still be well beyond UEFA’s limits in the short-term.

However, a safety net might be provided by yet another exemption in the FFP rules, whereby UEFA will not apply sanctions, if: (a) the club is reporting a positive trend in the annual break-even results; (b) the aggregate break-even deficit is only due to the annual 2011/12 break-even deficit, which is in itself due to player contracts signed before 1 June 2010 (thus excluding wages for the likes of Carlos Tevez, Gareth Barry, Vincent Kompany, Joleon Lescott and Kolo Toure). Even that might not be enough, though UEFA will surely take note of City’s £100 million investment in their academy, plus their relative restraint in the transfer market this summer.
Cheeky & Sanfairyann have got their work cut out for sure!

bluecityboy said:
Dribble said:
sam-caddick said:
I said in another thread that the next 6-12 months are going to be so interesting to see how the relationship between Txiki Begiristain and Mancini pans out.

Txiki Begiristain has been hired as a director of football, a position very rearely found in English football and a position that has a lot of power over most personnel in the club. Directors of football have visions for where their team is to go, they pretty much decide most if not all the players who will be signed to create this vision and they also decide who will be sold if they beleive do not fit their vision.

You have to have a manager that is willing to work alongside such a powerful position and most of all be dictated to! Do you really think Mancini is going to enjoy any of this? Roberto Martinez reporely declined the Liverpool job in the Summer as he did not want to be dictated to by a director of football, a position Liverpool are looking to fill.

Mancini's power will diminish even more now Txiki Begiristain has the role of DOF, you h t have the right combination of DOA and manager to make the whole thing work, otherwise it will be just anightmare. Like I said, the next year or so will be very interesting to see how relationships and ower will pan out at the club.
Mancini has been used to working with a DOF all his managerial career, where Mancini clearly had a problem with Marwood is because of his lack of nous at the top end of football.

This is the first transfer window where we were expected to box clever financially & as has been pointed out on numerous occasions the general feeling is that (Nastasic apart) we've failed miserably. I watched 3 players today who should have been at City, RVP, Hazard & Mata. We spent £50m in the final days of the summer window on players who were the same or worse than we've already got. If FFP was going to be such a major factor this summer, I'd have rather us have just pushed the boat out & got RVP, Hazard & Nastasic & called it quits there. From what I can see, the abject failure of the last transfer window has to be laid squarely at the feet of Marwood, a man with no track record in football management or administration.

Hopefully our new DOF will appreciate the quality of player we require, we need Hazards not Sinclairs if we are to progress. It wouldn't surprise me if this new appointment was the diplomatic beginning of the end for Marwood. I can foresee a situation that within a couple of years, he'll be quietly reshuffled out of the football frontline at Manchester City into a position where he can have no effect on the football side of things.
Except we'd be lacking in midfield with the departure of NDJ.

We could have just kept DeJong & saved the money perhaps to spend in Jan.

Mancini chose to spend it, not Marwood.

"The Manchester City ­manager is ­determined to root out the dressing-room dissenters who are undermining his position at the Etihad with their ­reluctance and inability to ­follow his tactics.
Mancini now wants talks with chairman Khaldoon Al Mubarak and new chief executive Ferran Soriano to establish whether he retains their full support as he looks to reassert his authority."

This is from Simon Mullock's "Back Me Sack Me" article in the Sunday Mirror.Mullock is a well connected pro City journalist, despite his dubious employer, and the story is timed to coincide with the announcement of Cheeky's arrival. The readiness of this source to push the "Fearless Mancini" line seems to indicate that in reality Bob suspects his access to and influence on Khaldoon may be ebbing.

I find it funny how people seemingly think we have some divine right to sign any player we
want.

Just because RvP, Mata and so on were avaliable and ended up at different clubs does that mean Marwood/Mancini didn't try enough to get them? Or does it also mean they didn't want to come here, they would rather be guranteed starters at a club like Chelsea getting paid a handsome wage and living in a great city or perhaps they don't like Mancini?

I think Mancini of course expected better but if the players dont wanna come we have to buy the ones that do. We got rid of a few so they had to be replaced in some way be it Sinclair or Hazard.

A few years ago eight of the Barcelona squad split up with their girlfriends or divorced their wives. Maybe he is good at sussing out bad eggs or bad influences as other halves!

(It was around 2007 or 2008 I think - of course might have just been a total coincidence).<br /><br />-- Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:10 am --<br /><br />
CTID101 said:
I find it funny how people seemingly think we have some divine right to sign any player we
want.

Just because RvP, Mata and so on were avaliable and ended up at different clubs does that mean Marwood/Mancini didn't try enough to get them? Or does it also mean they didn't want to come here, they would rather be guranteed starters at a club like Chelsea getting paid a handsome wage and living in a great city or perhaps they don't like Mancini?

I think Mancini of course expected better but if the players dont wanna come we have to buy the ones that do. We got rid of a few so they had to be replaced in some way be it Sinclair or Hazard.
I always think that too. Thiago Silva could have earnt the same money here but would someone rather live in Manchester or Paris? Mata and Hazard could have earnt the same money here but would someone rather live in Manchester or London? Sanchez could have earnt the same money here but would someone rather live in Manchester or Barcelona (also who wouldn't rather play for that club over all others?)? You see a pattern?

Neville Kneville said:
bluecityboy said:
Dribble said:
Mancini has been used to working with a DOF all his managerial career, where Mancini clearly had a problem with Marwood is because of his lack of nous at the top end of football.

This is the first transfer window where we were expected to box clever financially & as has been pointed out on numerous occasions the general feeling is that (Nastasic apart) we've failed miserably. I watched 3 players today who should have been at City, RVP, Hazard & Mata. We spent £50m in the final days of the summer window on players who were the same or worse than we've already got. If FFP was going to be such a major factor this summer, I'd have rather us have just pushed the boat out & got RVP, Hazard & Nastasic & called it quits there. From what I can see, the abject failure of the last transfer window has to be laid squarely at the feet of Marwood, a man with no track record in football management or administration.

Hopefully our new DOF will appreciate the quality of player we require, we need Hazards not Sinclairs if we are to progress. It wouldn't surprise me if this new appointment was the diplomatic beginning of the end for Marwood. I can foresee a situation that within a couple of years, he'll be quietly reshuffled out of the football frontline at Manchester City into a position where he can have no eff the f
Except we'd be lacking in midfield with the departure of NDJ.[/quot

We could have just kept DeJong & saved the money perhaps to spend in Jan.

Mancini chose to spend it, not Marwood.
NDJ wanted to go. Mancini wanted De Rossi or Martinez, we got Garcia & Rodwell instead. They were not Mancini's first choices, they were Marwood's 2nd choices. Like I said, if we want to operate like a big club, then we better bring in big club bosses with a big club ethos.

Marwood has achieved squat in football outside of his playing career, I'm still at a loss as to why he was ever given the power to vitoe a manager like Mancini. Hughes yes, but not Mancini because doing so was patently above his capabilities.

Question to the Marwood-ites:

Do you believe the appointment of Begiristain is a step forward?

Do you long for a return of the Mar-ster in Begiristain's place?

Dribble said:
Like I said, if we want to operate like a big club, then we better bring in big club bosses with a big club ethos.
That is a good point, though.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.