Txiki Begiristain...

Re: Marwood v Mancini

bobmcfc said:
And Mancini wins according to an article in the S*n. apparently Marwood has been bumped over to the academy and Mancini will now work directly with the man from barca who has a name I can't yet spell

Apologies if already posted but they love making. controversy don't they

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4614766/Roberto-Mancini-wins-power-battle-with-Brian-Marwood.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sp ... rwood.html</a>

Cheeky Stanners! That's easy to spell. Marwood is pumpin' up the tyres on his bike as I type!

Reshuffle at City piles pressure on Mancini

Arrival of Barcelona maestro likely to fuel talk of Guardiola

ROBERTO MANCINI has suffered a blow to his power base at Manchester City, with Txiki Begiristain's appointment as the club's director of football reducing the Italian's role to that of first-team coach.

City's chief executive Ferran Soriano, who was recruited from Barcelona this summer, has driven the move to appoint Begiristain -- the Catalan club's former technical director, with whom he worked for three years building success at the Nou Camp.

Mancini will now find himself below these two very close allies -- and third in City's new "pyramid of excellence".

In a further setback, the City manager is still waiting to hear the extent of the serious knee injury suffered by Micah Richards in their home win against Swansea City.

Far from representing victory for Mancini in his battle to exercise greater control than Brian Marwood, who becomes managing director of City's new £200m football academy, the appointment of Begiristain leaves the Italian able only to recommend which players City might buy.

With the academy as instrumental to City's future as La Masia has been for Barcelona, Marwood's move should not be seen as a demotion.

The sensitive nature of Begiristain's appointment within the present management structure may explain why the 48-year-old Spaniard's appointment was slipped out at midnight on Saturday by City, who denied the story last week.

Though Mancini has openly challenged the authority of Marwood and Cook, Soriano believes deeply in clearly defined management structures and will certainly expect Mancini to conform to the new set-up.

When Begiristain drew up a nine-point criteria document for Soriano to enable Barcelona to find a successor to Frank Rijkaard at Barcelona, the first requirement on the list was a need to "respect the sporting management model and the role of the football director".

The document stipulated that "the director of football has the power of the final decision".

Eliminated from the League Cup, Mancini will have a full week to regroup and gather his thoughts on the appointment of Begiristain.

He certainly gave no indication of the new structure in the aftermath of the Swansea game, which brought some respite from the criticism that followed the Champions League defeat by Ajax.

"After all that has been said in the last few days, I thought we were in last position in the Premier League," Mancini said. "But I have just looked at the table and we are second."

Nevertheless, the injury to Richards, who was carried off on a stretcher wearing an oxygen mask, is another blow to an area of the team that already looks weak.

Richards may have been vocal in his criticism of City's tactics during last Wednesday's 3-1 debacle in Amsterdam but on the only other occasion the champions have kept a clean sheet -- last month's 3-0 win over Sunderland -- he had looked once more an international-class defender. There is still far too much resting on Vincent Kompany's shoulders for City to be entirely comfortable.

The champions were booed off at the interval, with Joe Hart having made a brave save to deny Michu, who had the only serious chance of an insipid 45 minutes.

Having been criticised for altering his formations too much in Amsterdam, Mancini made a good tactical switch at half-time.

Aleksandar Kolarov, who had been mostly ineffective on the wing anyway, was withdrawn with a foot injury and Mancini changed the shape by sending on forward Mario Balotelli.

City began to look more cutting but, even so, it still needed another good save by Hart from Michu to keep it scoreless before Tevez struck on the hour.

With the 12 minutes of stoppage time for injuries to Richards and the Swansea 'keeper, Michel Vorm, it will be remembered as the longest game in the history of the Premier League. (© Independent News Service)

- Ian Herbert

Neville Kneville said:
bluecityboy said:
Dribble said:
Mancini has been used to working with a DOF all his managerial career, where Mancini clearly had a problem with Marwood is because of his lack of nous at the top end of football.

This is the first transfer window where we were expected to box clever financially & as has been pointed out on numerous occasions the general feeling is that (Nastasic apart) we've failed miserably. I watched 3 players today who should have been at City, RVP, Hazard & Mata. We spent £50m in the final days of the summer window on players who were the same or worse than we've already got. If FFP was going to be such a major factor this summer, I'd have rather us have just pushed the boat out & got RVP, Hazard & Nastasic & called it quits there. From what I can see, the abject failure of the last transfer window has to be laid squarely at the feet of Marwood, a man with no track record in football management or administration.

Hopefully our new DOF will appreciate the quality of player we require, we need Hazards not Sinclairs if we are to progress. It wouldn't surprise me if this new appointment was the diplomatic beginning of the end for Marwood. I can foresee a situation that within a couple of years, he'll be quietly reshuffled out of the football frontline at Manchester City into a position where he can have no effect on the football side of things.
Except we'd be lacking in midfield with the departure of NDJ.

We could have just kept DeJong & saved the money perhaps to spend in Jan.

Mancini chose to spend it, not Marwood.

De Jong wanted to go, ergo we had to get a replacement. Mancini wanted a Martinez or a De Rossi, but we got a Garcia. Now i am not entirely blaming Marwood here, but a better DoF might have been able to get someone better than a Garcia or a Rodwell ( assuming that Mancini's first choices in Martinez/De Rossi/etc didnt want to come )

I was not in the 'Marwood is out of his depth' camp, until I saw him with Garcia at the signing.
He looked totally in awe.
He will do a good job at the Academy and you can tell he will be far more comfortable with the parents of the young players.
The skills needed for that role will be completely different, but these Barca boys are a team, who were key to what we see at the Nou Camp today.
They played a massive role in the development of La Masia and negotiating with the top players.
I think getting these two on board will be viewed as boardroom marquee signings, by those involved with football business.

Ragnarok said:
Neville Kneville said:
bluecityboy said:
Except we'd be lacking in midfield with the departure of NDJ.

We could have just kept DeJong & saved the money perhaps to spend in Jan.

Mancini chose to spend it, not Marwood.

De Jong wanted to go, ergo we had to get a replacement. Mancini wanted a Martinez or a De Rossi, but we got a Garcia. Now i am not entirely blaming Marwood here, but a better DoF might have been able to get someone better than a Garcia or a Rodwell ( assuming that Mancini's first choices in Martinez/De Rossi/etc didnt want to come )
Im pretty sure Martinez didn't happen as we were not willing to pay £40 million. We paid £38 million for Aguero.

We'll see what will happen between Txiki and Mancini in next 3 or 4 months. Champions League (exit?), Christmas matches, January transfer window... Plus Pep wants to start discussing his options in January.

Shands said:
If, as it seems with this appoinment, we are determined to replicate the Barcelona model over the coming years, rather than parachuting Guardiola in to the job I'd be more inclined to believe that we may try to promote from within should the time comes when Mancini is to move on. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Vieira is pinpointed to be our 'Pep' and given the opportunities over the coming months/years to expand his coaching experience in readiness for the first team role. With the managers he's played under (Capello, Wenger, Mourinho, Mancini,) if anyone has had suitable rolemodels for where we wish to go then it's him, and his current role should have given him the ideal grasp of the ethos of the club both in terms of it's past and it's future. At Barcelona these guys traded on 'identity' and I can see a similar approach being what we are looking for here.

Great post. Vieira will become a great manager if he wants it badly enough.

All the players rave about him and what he sees out on the pitch.<br /><br />-- Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:50 am --<br /><br />
Didsbury Dave said:
I am willing to bet the first significant thing this pair do is set up a deal for balotelli somewhere, as long as they can find a buyer.

That would save enough to pay off Mancini if he doesn't win the league in itself ;-)

I'll take that bet ;)

Certain decisions were taken well before the recent arrivals.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.