U2

Bland and uninspiring after rattle and hum Bono ended up with a Xerxes complex, tho check out his sons band Inhaler definate shades of early U2

first 4 albums were excellent, then went all american/stadium rock,

some good tunes after that, but a bit pompus these days,

saw them at the apollo in the early 80's, can't really remember which tour though
I saw them at the Apollo in 82 and 83 they were brilliant and me and my wife got tickets to see them al the Etihad in 2005. They were amazing that night.

One of my biggest regrets was giving my ticket away to some girl I fancied who couldn’t get one in 1980(?) when they played Manchester Uni! “Ticket” looked like it was a piece of construction paper with U2 stamped on it! Must have had some UV stamp on it, too, which was all the rage back then.

Anyway, seen them many, many times since then, sometimes twice on the same tour! Went twice when PJ Harvey opened for them in Chicago, then they came back around and did a few dates with Garbage at the United Center in town. Had to go see Shirley and the boys!

First saw them live at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago (‘83?). Was up against the stage, passed Bono around for a bit while he crowd surfed, handed him an Irish flag which he draped over the piano/organ while Edge played October and even went backstage after the show. Took about 6 drumsticks off the stage, and the Irish flag (which I got signed). Got into the VIP Party Room. Didn't last long in there, and was politely asked to leave! It may have been the English Beat t-shirt, or the camo fatigue pants, or the red and blue bowling shoes or possibly even the fact that I was dripping wet through from sweat, I’m not sure!? Haha!

Either way, they’re one of the best live bands I have ever seen (along with The Jam), and while Bono might have lost a step, Larry’s got a bad back, The Edge is bald as a coot, yet Adam just keeps on being his cool
Bass playing self, their trajectory has followed my own, so they’ll always be one of the best bands of my generation TO ME...even with a bit of Bono proselytizing for good measure!

U2 at Slaine Castle looks like a fucking brilliant show (have the DVD), and Bono’s transition to, and rendition of, Streets (my favorite song) brings a tear to my eye every time!

While I find the more recent albums only have a few tracks that spark my interest, it’s hard to criticize a career that, for me, has been a FORTY YEAR journey together.

Last edited:
Saw them 2 or 3 times
Latterly the tour where they had the old east European cars ( trabats?) And Roundhay Park Leeds
Both were VIP freebies and thoroughly enjoyed them

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.