UEFA confirm their bid to stop City and keep Utd succesful

Cobwebcat

Team supported
Manchester City
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...efa-action-to-rein-in-excessive-spending.html

As I see it we have two choices:

1. Forget European Football but constantly win the Premiership (where the rules don't apply)

2. Run up a huge debt but cover the interest each year.

These rules wil be great for United, brilliant for Bayern Munich, bad for Chelsea and awful for us.

Debt allowed.

Investment only in proportion to turnover = big clubs get bigger and nobody can ever break the cartel.

UEFA could have imposed a rule which simply said "no debt" but the cartel didn't like that so UEFA went with this to keep the big clubs happy and us out.

If this gets past the lawyers, as it looks like it will, this is City's biggest challenge. We have 2.5 seasons to go spending mad and if, at the end of it, we are not in the CL it is unlikely we will be for a long while. Even if we are, because our wages will be in excess of our turnover we will probably only get one go at Europe.

We either work within the rules (ie know our place) or call UEFA's bluff and see if they would go ahead with their competition without the Premiership Champions (potentially) In one way it's a great opportunity to dominate domestically but I think our owners are after European domination and this rule makes it a lot harder if not impossible.

For those of you about to write "don't worry we can charge £10 million for an exec box or get internal sponsorship" this will not be allowed by UEFA under these rules. More than any other club this rule is aimed at us and as such there won't be any loopholes.

I'm not saying there is absolutely no way around it (I can't think of one) but it will be difficult and Cook's proclamation that we will be the biggest club in the world is ill-timed (again) in the light of UEFA's impending ruling.

The way I'll see it is that we will simply pay a fortune on players from now until 2012 and hopefully by then we will be established in the top 4 with some the best and brighest young stars. Yes it will limit us in that we will never be able to spend £150m a season. But that doesn't mean we can't sign one player for £40m if we make a decent profit each year. I'm sure that is probably the long term aim anyway?

Also I don't think these rules would stop us paying huge wages as our owner will simply invest his money into the club, like he has wiped out the debt this season from player purchases, so we are debt free. Therefore any money we make will, in terms of the books, be a profit? Or am I talking shit?!

We basically have to gatecrash the party before they put the extra bolts on the door

bugsyblue said:
The way I'll see it is that we will simply pay a fortune on players from now until 2012 and hopefully by then we will be established in the top 4 with some the best and brighest young stars. Yes it will limit us in that we will never be able to spend £150m a season. But that doesn't mean we can't sign one player for £40m if we make a decent profit each year. I'm sure that is probably the long term aim anyway?

Also I don't think these rules would stop us paying huge wages as our owner will simply invest his money into the club, like he has wiped out the debt this season from player purchases, so we are debt free. Therefore any money we make will, in terms of the books, be a profit? Or am I talking shit?!

Of course you aren't talking shit, it's an intelligent answer. Unfortunately I don't think this is permitted either though I admit I'm not certain.

You cannot stop the owner of a club spending his own money on his own business. If you try he'll just find a loop-hole e.g. enter into joint sponsership of the clubs shirts with Etihad and pump in millions using that. Advertise on City's properties and pump money in that way. Build complexes in the surrounding area all within the Man City ownership and use those to filter money into the club. There are always ways around anything like this if you have mucho money! It will only effect clubs spending past their means not clubs with wealthy benefactors.

Fuzzmaster101 said:
You cannot stop the owner of a club spending his own money on his own business. If you try he'll just find a loop-hole e.g. enter into joint sponsership of the clubs shirts with Etihad and pump in millions using that. Advertise on City's properties and pump money in that way. Build complexes in the surrounding area all within the Man City ownership and use those to filter money into the club. There are always ways around anything like this if you have mucho money! It will only effect clubs spending past their means not clubs with wealthy benefactors.

I'm afraid that is all incorrect. Internal sponsorship as you refer to is specifically barred as investment from related businesses. It will not affect clubs spending beyond their means at all and will affect clubs with wealthy benefactors...that's the whole point.

As debts will be allowed, as long as the interest is covered, surely there is now't wrong with the Sheik "loaning" a couple of hundred million at 0.01% apr.

Our owner is a smart cookie, and he has smart people working for him. I'm not too worried (yet!).

I would be more worried if I was a rag - the only way that they will make the interest payments is to sell big name players, that they won't be able to afford to replace - Hee hee :)

don't worry about us, they are happy to have City at the "top table" but don't want any others gatecrashing the party.

Our wage bill will be huge at the moment.

We've got a few more sponsors though.

Need to pump up revenue and we'll be fine. They'll already be on the case don't worry about that.

What about wealthy owners?
It will be harder for them to subsidise transfer spending and player wages from their own pocket.

Not if the owners own companies which could sponsor the club... oh shooks! However by 12/13 we'll most probably be in the top four anyway so we'll be helping out putting the extra bolts on the door while Spurs & Villa manhandle United and Scouse out of the nightclub.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.