UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
If indeed it is overturned (and I'm not holding my breath), can you image the torrent of "righteous" indignation from several quarters? Carragher springs to mind. Most rag-biased journos. The fatuous Matthew Syed. The likes of Piers Morgan and other people with no genuine connection to football. Tabloid hacks. Merson, probably.

"City's escape shows that crime does pay", and the like.

They'd all be on their moral high horse, believe me.

But we'll doubtless get punished anyway, so it's all irrelevant.

This is a big part of why UEFA went in with such a harsh punishment - they can't lose. They were strong and gave us a tough sentence which either 1- was upheld in court or 2- was given a lighter punishment or had it overturned. Even with no.2 the vast majority of the public will still think we're guilty.

This is a big part of why UEFA went in with such a harsh punishment - they can't lose. They were strong and gave us a tough sentence which either 1- was upheld in court or 2- was given a lighter punishment or had it overturned. Even with no.2 the vast majority of the public will still think we're guilty.

Oh they can lose alright.

I like many others are keen to see the judgement when it comes as it will outline the charges in full and accompanying prosecution evidence and the sequence in which City defend the charges. Wether we seek to overturn the judgement on procedural grounds or totally refute the charges and offer substantive "irrefutable" evidence to counter any alleged malfeasance. I suppose it depends on which is easier to prove.

I'm not sure if the arbitrary proceedings behave like a law court in the way that evidence is presented by the barristers however I assume it is up to the respondent to prove their case. Interestingly are City the respondent in appellant cases and as these are quasi legal proceedings does it operate at a completely different level. I've seen and been party to the British legal appellant procedure both at Crown Court and the High Court in London in matters appealed on "case stated" and "judicial review" but never privvy to these kind or arbitration cases and obviously these are part of the Swiss appellant system. In UK court appeals there is the the initial judgement which is definitive in nature following initial court process yet we don't have that in this case only a judgement from UEFA. Does this judgement outline the UEFAs findings in full consideration of all facts or is it merely findings based on prosecution evidence only?

I'm intrigued to how it works are the any legal eagles who know how this CAS system operates when dealing with a case? Does it set up with a bench and do they listen to prosecution evidence presented until they rest then listen to defence rebuttal and counter evidence or does it work completely differently? It would seem at this point City have not had the opportunity to present any kind of rebuttal evidence or counter evidence against the allegations or have we and chose not to (hence the none co-operative element).

One thing that's telling about the press coverage of the entire episode is that there's been no consideration given at any stage to the idea that we might have exploited loopholes in the rules and not broken them. This seems to me to be one possible explanation for UEFA and City taking completely different stances over this.

But the media view is that we're a state-owned club that has benefitted from state funding and that's how the court of public opinion sees it, too. There's potentially a significant difference between ADEC funding our Abu Dhabi sponsorships and ADUG footing the bill, because the former is arguably (depending on the interpretation of IAS 24) within the rules and the latter isn't, but most journalists and rival fans I've seen expressing a view seem not to give a toss about the distinction. We'll be seen as guilty and getting off an a technicality if that's what emerges in the end.

One thing that's telling about the press coverage of the entire episode is that there's been no consideration given at any stage to the idea that we might have exploited loopholes in the rules and not broken them. This seems to me to be one possible explanation for UEFA and City taking completely different stances over this.

But the media view is that we're a state-owned club that has benefitted from state funding and that's how the court of public opinion sees it, too. There's potentially a significant difference between ADEC funding our Abu Dhabi sponsorships and ADUG footing the bill, because the former is arguably (depending on the interpretation of IAS 24) within the rules and the latter isn't, but most journalists and rival fans I've seen expressing a view seem not to give a toss about the distinction. We'll be seen as guilty and getting off an a technicality if that's what emerges in the end.

If it stops at CAS yes. Doesn't appear like it's heading that way to me though. Lots to come out yet...

Could be. Or maybe he's just doing the honourable thing and keeping his counsel, which is more than can be said for some of the other vermin at that rat-infested organisation!

If those were his exact words and without context that's distancing himself and keeping his options open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.