UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Off the top of my head I can think of at least two popular chants that use the abbreviation 'Man' in relation to City and one derogatory aimed at the Rags that uses the abbreviation. I don't really understand the opposition to it.
Sure it was used all the time when I was growing up back in the 70s and 80s without anyone making anything of it, still use it sometimes.

Sure it was used all the time when I was growing up back in the 70s and 80s without anyone making anything of it, still use it sometimes.
It's one of those things that divides opinion. I remember Keegan being told off by Dave Wallace for saying Man City when he arrived as manager but, as you say, when I was a kid in the 70s I knew lots of people who talked of supporting 'Man City' and it wasn't seen as an issue by many of us at the time. Maybe 40+ years from now we'll all be talking about Citizens/Cityzens and saying it's not appropriate or something we use in every day speech while future generations may actually love it and use it all the time. There's probably someone somewhere who wishes we were still nicknamed 'The Cits'. These things come in and out of fashion (though I doubt Cits will ever come back).

I'm not sure our recruitment has been so severely disrupted. There hasn't been a transfer window since UEFA's verdict and there won't be one before the CAS verdict.

Reputational damage is also short-lived in football, particularly if we get our way. The Silver Lake investment is a good example. The timing of that investment appears exceptionally risky. Given the scale of it, due diligence would have unquestionably explored the matter of our FFP investigation but it nevertheless happened.

Agree and we need to to keep a sense of perspective about this. Taking the big picture - if UEFA and the "cartel" think that winning this case is going preserve the status quo, then they have the mentality of Canute on steroids. How the hell they think they can hang on to their archaic cosy club in the face of, particularly, Middle Eastern encroachment with those countries' powerful socio-political and economic agendas in a globalised world is beyond me. They make the Luddites seem cutting-edge entrepreneurs by comparison. (Watch out, lads, Newcastle are up next and you should be really afraid of them realising their potential). My guess is that, in ten years' time, football history will look back on City's problems as part of the evolution from an outmoded, protectionist structure characterised by an old guard of long-established clubs running a puppet governance vehicle to a new structure recognising a much-changed world.

As for reputational damage, I agree with you that it pretty soon becomes yesterday's chip papers. Football fans get swept up in the excitement and issues of the current campaigns they are involved in - they don't sit and have beard tugging philosophical discussions in pubs about another club's moral behaviour (unless I'm going to the wrong pubs).

It's one of those things that divides opinion. I remember Keegan being told off by Dave Wallace for saying Man City when he arrived as manager but, as you say, when I was a kid in the 70s I knew lots of people who talked of supporting 'Man City' and it wasn't seen as an issue by many of us at the time. Maybe 40+ years from now we'll all be talking about Citizens/Cityzens and saying it's not appropriate or something we use in every day speech while future generations may actually love it and use it all the time. There's probably someone somewhere who wishes we were still nicknamed 'The Cits'. These things come in and out of fashion (though I doubt Cits will ever come back).
Never Cityzens

Lyrics to make a song rhyme better seems rather different to continually hear the club referred to as 'Man City' as they do on radio, sometimes three or four times by the same person in the space of a minute. Surely it's easier to just say 'City' when everyone is aware they are not referring to Norwich or Leicester.
I always refer to us as City. Worth mentioning that the club also refer to themselves as Man City... www.mancity.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.