UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The times article in detail for the charges city face. Regardless of the agenda , this is unnecessary PR headache

How Football Leaks computer hacker Rui Pinto left Manchester City’s reputation in balance
Martyn Ziegler traces series of leaks that have prompted four governing bodies to investigate

The allegations stemming from the Football Leaks data have been numerous and varied but the core question is this: have Manchester City been riding roughshod over football’s rules and regulations in their bid for global dominance?

The announcement of the opening of a formal investigation by Uefa’s Club Financial Control Body (CFCB) takes that question to another level because it means that City are now in danger of facing a punishment that could affect their participation in a Champions League campaign.

Uefa is one of four governing bodies of football, including the FA, Fifa and the Premier League, investigating City over issues connected to the leaks.

Over the past three months, and usually late on a Friday afternoon, a group of European newspapers and websites have published allegations stemming from the Football Leaks cache. Paris Saint-Germain and Chelsea are among the clubs who have had claims made about their conduct but it is Manchester City who have borne the brunt of the allegations.

From the alleged manipulation of sponsorship income to the acquisition of youth players, from third-party ownership to questionable accounting over players’ image rights — City are under scrutiny in all those areas.

Until yesterday’s denial of financial irregularities, the club had stuck rigidly to their position of refusing to comment on any of the Football Leaks allegations beyond saying: “We will not be providing any comment on out-of-context materials purported to have been hacked or stolen from City Football Group and Manchester City personnel and associated people. The attempt to damage the club’s reputation is organised and clear.”

Uefa’s investigation is the one that potentially poses the greatest threat to City: a possible ban from European competition.

The main allegation centres on £59.5 million of sponsorship money that was supposed to come from Etihad Airways in 2015 but, according to internal club emails, it was said to have been paid instead by the club’s owners, Abu Dhabi United Group.

One email revealed by the leaks reported a City executive saying, “We can do what we want”, when asked whether they could change the date of a sponsorship payment.

That could be a breach of Uefa’s financial fair play (FFP) rules, and City executives and the club could also face disciplinary action over the allegations if they are deemed to have deliberately misled Uefa.

The Premier League investigation also concerns the sponsorship income.

Meanwhile, legal sources in France have told The Times that Uefa has asked the French financial prosecutor to share the 12 million files that it has obtained from Rui Pinto, the Portuguese 30-year-old who is at the centre of the Football Leaks cache. A spokeswoman for the prosecutor’s office would not confirm whether the request would be granted.

Other allegations concerning Manchester City include that in 2013 they set up a secret scheme named “Project Longbow” to beat Uefa’s FFP rules. The scheme took up to £40 million off the wage bill by “selling” players’ image rights to another company, but it is alleged the company then paid the players for marketing appearances and were reimbursed by the Abu Dhabi United Group.

Last week it was alleged that City might have misled the FA over the ownership of a player, the Argentine Bruno Zuculini, whom the club signed in 2014. The player, who was then 21, was still part-owned by a company, MPI, but the club did not disclose that MPI was funded by an offshore entity called Mangrove, with which Ferran Soriano, the City chief executive, had previously been connected.

Reports from Football Leaks have also revealed that City could face a one-year transfer ban from Fifa over the signing of eight players under the age of 18 from overseas.

On the domestic front, the FA is looking into the signing of the Borussia Dortmund and England player Jadon Sancho as a 14-year-old from Watford, with allegations of a payment to an agent and a discussion over a possible payment to his family.

City are in the position of having, in the royal family of Abu Dhabi, an owner with almost limitless wealth. The problem has been that Uefa’s rules put a limit on how much they are allowed to spend.

With the club having been punished by Uefa in 2014 for spending too much and then promising to abide by the rules, this time the stakes are much higher.

The allegations
Manipulated sponsorship income

Leaked documents suggested income that was supposed to come from Abu Dhabi-based sponsors was in effect paid directly by the owners, in contravention of FFP rules.

Third-party ownership rules may have been breached
City are alleged not to have disclosed an involvement with a fund that owned economic rights of players, including one they signed.

Manipulated image-rights payments
A scheme called “Project Longbow” sold players’ image rights to another company, which was then reimbursed by the Abu Dhabi United Group. It meant the image rights were taken off the salary bill.

City paid the agent of Jadon Sancho £200,000 over his move from Watford when Sancho was 14.

What City say
● Any accusations of financial irregularities are “entirely false”
● The allegations are based “on out of context materials purported to have been hacked or stolen from City Football Group and Manchester City personnel and associated people.”

Fair point but there is a difference....Chelsea and Arsenals players were responsible for the lack of Champions League games as they failed to qualify, our players will have earned the right to play in it and would be denied by circumstances caused one way or another by others. Thier players also have still got European Football in the Europa League and whilst not ideal they are still playing in European competition.

What about potential new arrivals given the choice of playing for the Rags or Liverpool in the CL or playing for us in three domestic competitions only....Come on if you were an outstanding footballer what would you choose?

Chelsea had a year out of Europe and won the league under Conte. You do remember that?

Hazard stayed. Others stayed. They even bought Kante.

So calm down.

You can guess the first 5 of them.
As Ziegler has given co authorship on the premier league story to Paul Joyce, Liverpool are quite clearly the driving force behind the
Demands.

Joyce has been dropping heavy hints about them wishing to put a verdict in place asap for several weeks.

Whatever the outcome of the investigation I think they will be happy to just have tarnished City’s achievements. These allegations will be enough for fans of other clubs, two in particular, to sneer and suggest that any success is down to money.

The power and influence of our owners reaches far and wide. Senior Executives at Football clubs across Europe will be feeling a cold financial wind in many aspects of their business affairs... do not under estimate how much power and influence we have - it’s why we are so feared and UEFA is nothing but a pathetic quango without the means to match us.

I'm a bit unsure on it. You're a legal man, so I'd be interested on your take on this.

Our initial statement made reference to "materials purported to be hacked or stolen from Manchester City... ".

Initially we weren't even acknowledging that the emails were genuine.

The latest statement makes reference to the "publication of City emails". We're essentially accepting that the emails are genuine.

Our defence is now following the line that they were published "out of context".

Having read the emails published in Der Speigel, I'm struggling to see what the context could possibly be other than the obvious?

I accept the "His Highness" comment could be taken out of context.

But the emails from Simon Pearce referring to ADUG paying certain sums on sponsors behalf. The spreadsheets with ADUG's contribution listed. I'm struggling to see what the context of that could possibly be, other than what it initially appears.

Our statement goes on to say "the club's published accounts are full and complete and a matter of legal and regulatory record".

This essentially says to me - City's accounts are legitimate, they've been independently audited. Which I'm sure is true.

The leaked emails clearly suggest ADUG (City's parent company at the time) was funding the sponsorship deals of Etihad, Aarbar etc.

I assume going off the IAS for Related Party Transactions, there is no issue with that, so City's accounts are still legitimate.

PBs assertion that the Etihad deal was judged fair value and so is fireproof seems to make sense.

But the other deals that were seemingly propped up - Aarbar, Etisalat etc were not judged as fair value.

But by the IAS definition, they are not considered Related Parties to Manchester City.

So the club's assertion that "the accusation of financial irregularities is entirely false" is again probably true in a legal sense.

It seems to me, the crux of this investigation is going to rest on whether UEFA can prove Aarbar, Etisalat etc are related parties.

City's defence will be, by IAS they are not.

UEFA's may well be that they have a different interpretation.

The tone of the statement to me seems to be suggesting that City have done what is being reported - essentially sponsoring ourselves. But that from a legal stand point we are confident we have done nothing wrong.

I would assume UEFA are unlikely to challenge that in a court. But they will probably have their nose put out of joint that we have not followed the "spirit" of the rules.

My concern is they will not want to be made a fool of and will want to take some kind of action against City in order to save face. I wouldn't put it past them to invent yet more bullshit arbitrary rules like a "failure to uphold the spirit of FFP and fully respect the superiority of UEFA 'Legacy' Clubs" Annex.

Just to clarify, I think FFP is an absolute joke and is anti-competitive and should be thrown out.

But it does appear to me that City have walked a very precarious tightrope to try to get around them. My concern is that UEFA, the ECA, and seemingly 12 vested interest PL clubs will be baying for blood for some action to be taken.

City may well be in the clear from a legal standpoint. But if the last 10 years has taught us anything, it's that UEFA are not averse to making up their own rules as they go along.

Sorry but that's bollocks. City never denied the existence of the e-mails in that initial statement. All the club did was say that they weren't going to comment at that stage and made reference to them perhaps being illegally obtained. At no point did they ever say the e-mails were false or doctored (which is what Ronaldo's reps have claimed regarding the stuff leaked about him).`

With regards to some of your other points, if you look at the statements put out by both UEFA and the club regarding our 2014 settlement agreement, it would indicate that much of what is contained in the e-mails has already been addressed. There was reference made in those statements that as part of our settlement agreement. we had agreed not to increase the value of 2 second tier sponsorship deals for, IIRC, at least the next 2 years. I'm guessing those companies are two of Aabar, Etisalat, and the Abu Dhabi Tourist Authority.

Regarding the allegations that the Etihad deal was propped up with a huge chunk of cash from our owner to make up the shortfall, well unless they can come up with Mansour's bank statements to back that up, they can't go anywhere with that. More than likely it came from another source in Abu Dhabi, ie: the state, and if it did then so what? Etihad are a state-funded airline and it's well documented that they were in financial difficulties so it stands to reason that the state would bail them out in order for them to meet their financial obligations, one of which being their sponsorship deal with City. From what I can gather, and anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, the accusations about Etihad only relate to one single year's sponsorship money. If money was constantly being funnelled through them year upon year since the deal started in 2011 then you can be sure that there would be e-mails relating to that and they would have been published too because that surely would be the biggest smoking gun of the lot.

One thing I don't disagree with is that UEFA could still make it up as they go along and we could end up getting punished even if we haven't broken any of the regs.

Last edited:
MCFC start to make winning noises, along come UEFA thugs sent by their pussy cartel.

The power and influence of our owners reaches far and wide. Senior Executives at Football clubs across Europe will be feeling a cold financial wind in many aspects of their business affairs... do not under estimate how much power and influence we have - it’s why we are so feared and UEFA is nothing but a pathetic quango without the means to match us.

Yeah, but they just say 1 year ban, suck my wang.

As much as I despise Martin Lipman, I thought he made a valid point on Talksport, (on the day that we played at Watford).
City would have been in a stronger position, and arguably evoked far more sympathy from the media, if they had contested FFP from the start, rather than agreeing to compromise, and then being accused of circumnavigating the truth.

The allegations
Manipulated sponsorship income

Leaked documents suggested income that was supposed to come from Abu Dhabi-based sponsors was in effect paid directly by the owners, in contravention of FFP rules.

Third-party ownership rules may have been breached
City are alleged not to have disclosed an involvement with a fund that owned economic rights of players, including one they signed.

Manipulated image-rights payments
A scheme called “Project Longbow” sold players’ image rights to another company, which was then reimbursed by the Abu Dhabi United Group. It meant the image rights were taken off the salary bill.

City paid the agent of Jadon Sancho £200,000 over his move from Watford when Sancho was 14.

What City say
● Any accusations of financial irregularities are “entirely false”
● The allegations are based “on out of context materials purported to have been hacked or stolen from City Football Group and Manchester City personnel and associated people.”

anyone know how to refute the above? i probably could have a month ago but i'm completely confused now

furthermore, they did Liverpool for 100k and a 2 year transfer ban on academy lads 2 years ago, so i'm pretty sure we'll get done for Sancho stuff. no idea about the rest.

So in summary for a simple soul like me.

FFP was muted a few years ago to stop another 'Leeds' overreaching. Then, when the new 'dirty' money came into football UEFA changed the FFP rules to try and stop these upstart clubs breaking into the cartel and spoiling the cash cow that the Chumps league had become. City therefore could not grow organically but had to spend quickly to try and catch up with the clubs who had been monopolising the big tv money for decades. In a normal business world this injection of capital is very normal but apparently football prefers teams with huge debts than new money coming in which would obviously be a good thing in any normal non corrupt business.

So, City spent. UEFA got grumpy and investigated and we were found guilty after the goal posts were changed on the small print around wages. An agreement was then made with the head of UEFA after City threatened a public trial for a minimal 'face saving' penalty. We took our pinch.

Now, a criminal hacker has made public through a German paper a load of City e-mails intimating that City were not completely open about their accounts when we were initially investigated. City appear to welcome this new investigation so the rumours can be put to bed.

So, in short, a corrupt organisation which is trying to protect its cash cow has been given stolen incomplete out-of-context documents and are starting another investigation against a club that does everything in the right way. Well done UEFA, top job.

This all seem about right ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.