UEFA FFP investigation - CAS decision to be announced Monday, 13th July 9.30am BST

What do you think will be the outcome of the CAS hearing?

• Two-year ban upheld

Votes: 197 13.1%
  • Ban reduced to one year

Votes: 422 28.2%
  • Ban overturned and City exonerated

Votes: 815 54.4%
  • Other

Votes: 65 4.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Makes far more sense than Chevrolet, who don't sell cars in Europe anymore, sponsoring United.
Hi PB, great to see you back on the Forum,

I am tempted to infer that some sort of deal could be done between our Chinese owner and Etihad Airlines that benefitted both parties especially after the TC fiasco pre season which left Etihad being the eventual team carrier into China.

I thought the emails mentioned HH would arrange the funds for Etihad to meet their obligations. Which is where the out of context claim comes in from the official club statement, as HH is probably referring to the Crown Prince and not our owner. I've seen ADUG mentioned only in the press without an actual quote from the email given, I'd assumed this was a case of Chinese whispers, HH becomes Sheikh Mansour, then ADUG.

Does anyone have the actual quote with ADUG referenced, if there is one? I'm sure I asked this a month or so back and it was decided that there was no quote from the emails given.

I'm in the middle of a particularly hectic and difficult day at work so don't have time to look now. And I may be wrong anyway, of course. But from memory, there was something in the Der Spiegel stuff that quoted an email purporting to state a total Etihad sponsorship figure of £ X (I can't remember the precise figures). On the next line, a figure of £ Y was noted against Etihad's name and below that, a figure (significantly larger than £ Y) of £ Z against ADUG's.

IIRC, Der Spiegel somewhat disingenuously implied that this more or less had us bang to rights and proved that ADUG itself was to provide the cash direct, which would be a disguised shareholder investment in breach of FFP. Yet the interpretation would be equally viable that ADUG was to procure the funds from elsewhere. Indeed, given that (as PB said above) information is in the public domain that the Abu Dhabi Executive Council part-funded this sponsorship in the past, this is surely the more likely turn of events. And that basically amounts to a shareholder opting to fund an obligation of a business it owns, which is perfectly legitimate and happens all the time in the corporate world for all kinds of reasons.

If ADEC paying the lion's share of the sponsorship is what happened, there might be certain corporate law, accounting and tax ramifications in the UAE, but something tells me they'd probably be OK on that score. And it would be irrelevant in terms of FFP compliance so would be none of UEFA's business.

Looking at the state of United and Arsenal, you can see exactly what they feared from City. If this attempt to hobble us fails, they are in deep, deep shit.

These 2 dinosaurs still haven’t come to terms with the fact that they can no longer bully every other club in the league and simply help themselves to all the best players. I suspect (and hope) things will get an awful lot worse for Arsenal and United before they get better. The likes of Leicester and Wolves have better footballing models, better managers and access to the kind of funds that mean they can certainly match United and Arsenal in the short term. In 5 years time the likes of City and Liverpool will be in mother stratosphere to united and Arsenal... then see them moan.

Even worse than they predicted because other teams around them have also overtaken them.

In my view that's "fox in the hen-house" syndrome. All is fine and dandy with the fattest fowl ruling the roost until the fox gets in and then, it's headless chicken time.

These clubs have never had to compete properly. Just show up and the money rolls in. Now they haven't got a clue how to react and properly managed clubs can overtake them. In fairness to Liverpool, in their limited way, they have risen to the challenge. Spend a lot of money getting a solid team with solid players, play a consistent, if not particularly attractive game, and aim to be the best of the rest and hope we either slip up, don't get "the rub of the green" at crucial moments or they can introduce rules to remove us.

I'm in the middle of a particularly hectic and difficult day at work so don't have time to look now. And I may be wrong anyway, of course. But from memory, there was something in the Der Spiegel stuff that quoted an email purporting to state a total Etihad sponsorship figure of £ X (I can't remember the precise figures). On the next line, a figure of £ Y was noted against Etihad's name and below that, a figure (significantly larger than £ Y) of £ Z against ADUG's.

IIRC, Der Spiegel somewhat disingenuously implied that this more or less had us bang to rights and proved that ADUG itself was to provide the cash direct, which would be a disguised shareholder investment in breach of FFP. Yet the interpretation would be equally viable that ADUG was to procure the funds from elsewhere. Indeed, given that (as PB said above) information is in the public domain that the Abu Dhabi Executive Council part-funded this sponsorship in the past, this is surely the more likely turn of events. And that basically amounts to a shareholder opting to fund an obligation of a business it owns, which is perfectly legitimate and happens all the time in the corporate world for all kinds of reasons.

If ADEC paying the lion's share of the sponsorship is what happened, there might be certain corporate law, accounting and tax ramifications in the UAE, but something tells me they'd probably be OK on that score. And it would be irrelevant in terms of FFP compliance so would be none of UEFA's business.

This is from Der Spiegel:
"That money is then "routed through the partners and they then forward onto us," wrote Finance Director Andrew Widdowson in an email. That, at least, is how things were done in 2015: At the time, the deal with Etihad was bringing in 67.5 million pounds annually. But Chief Financial Officer Chumillas emphasized in an email to Pearce: "Please note that out of those 67.5m pounds, 8m pounds should be funded directly by Etihad and 59.5 by ADUG."

This from Reuters:

In an August 2013 email, Jorge Chumillas, then chief financial officer at City Football Group, the company through which Sheikh Mansour controls Manchester City Football
Club (MCFC), asked Pearce about the arrangement by which money flowed through Etihad, an airline owned by the Abu Dhabi government
"I need to understand the mechanism by which additional sponsorship flows through ADUG.
Is it ADUG Shareholder->ADUG->Etihad->MCFC?
Or is it rather ADUG Shareholder->Etihad->MCFC?," Chunillas wrote.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.