UEFA to propose FFP replacement plan

So still nothing about clubs loaded with debt. I am not very good at understanding this stuff, are they hoping salary caps will encourage the best players to sign for istree clubs because everyone is roughly paid the same.
Yes
And also discourage would be owners from buying clubs like Newcastle. Purchases that would bring new money into the game.

The Echo??

Anyway...

News emerged that the governing body deem the current FFP rules 'no longer fit for purpose' and are set to replace them with rules that mean clubs in European competition would be limited to spending a fixed percentage of their revenue, in the region of 70 per cent, on salaries.

Any club in breach of those rules will have to pay a luxury tax where 'the equivalent or more' of any overspend would go into a pot to be shared among other clubs.

Still locks the biggest income generators in place.

2019/20 Manchester City employee cost / revenue: 73% * Covid
2018/19 59%

I would have thought we'd be OK once Covid is behind us (if ever!)

From the Sun!

wages.PNG

Chelsea look uncomfortably close.....their wages will have gone up since then with recent spending.

Leicester.

Last edited:
So what is the luxury tax? For every % over do they pay that % into the pot?

So Barcelona are 33% over, so must pay a further 33% into the pot meaning they're paying 136% of their income on player wages including the luxury tax.
Putting them even further into debt.

2019/20 Manchester City employee cost / revenue: 73% * Covid
2018/19 59%

I would have thought we'd be OK once Covid is behind us (if ever!)

From the Sun!

View attachment 24269

Chelsea look uncomfortably close.....their wages will have gone up since then with recent spending.

Leicester.

2018/19 in PL accounting terms is a lifetime ago.

During that year Chelsea weren’t in the CL although we did win the EL .

When you factor in that City earned circa €93 million for being in the CL that season and Chelsea €43 million for winning the EL

The 19/20 accounts are basically all now filed and as we know they are distorted because of the impact of COVID .

Chelsea had returned to the CL and it was estimated even then that income was depressed by around £40 million compared to 18/19 but the missed out increased matchday revenue from playing behind closed doors etc hasn’t been quantified .

Chelseas wage to income % was exactly 70%

City’s was 73%

I presume these are the same people who fined the lower league teams who were struggling financially, genius !!

To be honest this is even more flawed ( who would have thought that was possible) than the current system.

What you have to try and work out what the impact could be. By that I don’t just mean UEFA participating clubs I mean other clubs that rely on clubs that say loan a significant number of players.

For instance in England if a player is sent out on loan the player remains on the parent club’s payroll. Yes adjustments are made when clubs currently submit their FFP calculations but rarely does the fee ( even if there is one ) cover the wages.

In the accounts the full wages are shown and any fee is shown in the player trading account. I think it highly likely that the likes of Chelsea, like Man City will ask for bigger fees to increase income which In turn will help the wages % to overall income %

This is just more protectionism to restrict competition for the big clubs including City these days. It will strangle clubs like Everton and Newcastle who need to invest heavily over a short period to even get to the top table. And it does nothing to reduce debt. It doesn't make me feel good to realise that City are now essentially part of the cartel.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.