UK far right trouble July/August 24

This is the single most important article I have read on the recent riots and the globally networked modern far-right.

This year I have read five books on the latter phenomenon, including three by the extraordinary academic Julia Ebner, who infiltrates these movements, both online and in person.

Paul Mason's piece describes the same disturbing landscape.

I would urge everyone who sees this post to read it.

How much do you read, Zen? Your brain must be like Alexandria.

Your book recommendations are much appreciated

This is the single most important article I have read on the recent riots and the globally networked modern far-right.

This year I have read five books on the latter phenomenon, including three by the extraordinary academic Julia Ebner, who infiltrates these movements, both online and in person.

I’d much prefer a synopsis from yourself ;-)

I think it's description of the online problem is good but the conclusion is a bit of a washy mix of it's a problem to worry about/deal with, and the numbers are so small we don't need to worry.
My personal opinion is that it's probably not a worry unless what we see on the streets is the tip of a much larger iceberg.

I think it's description of the online problem is good but the conclusion is a bit of a washy mix of it's a problem to worry about/deal with, and the numbers are so small we don't need to worry.
My personal opinion is that it's probably not a worry unless what we see on the streets is the tip of a much larger iceberg.

That’s an interesting view. Maybe spending too much time on a subject like this causes someone to amplify the threat in their mind. I’ve been immersed in it for quite some time, and on regular visits to X, get deluged by effluence from the likes of various GB News presenters and their cast-offs, like Fox, Wootton and Calvin Robinson. So perhaps I can’t see the wood for the trees.

But anyway, Ebner and Mason’s thesis goes something like this:

1. The somewhat amorphous but very real and interconnected global far-right have become adept at manipulating social media and have succeeded in achieving mainstream acceptance of aspects of their radical agenda.

2. Examples of this include the adoption of baseless conspiracy theories like ‘Eurabia’/Great Replacement by prominent politicians (Meloni, Orban) and the electoral successes enjoyed by populist radical right parties around the world (which can include the transformation of previously mainstream parties of the right).

3. This has caused societies to become more fissiparous to the point where democracy itself is being undermined, and in particular Muslims are at risk from anti-Muslim bigotry.

4. Although largely unstated, the big worry seems to be that there will be a slide into and eventual embracing of outright fascism.

Over and against all that, it could be argued that even the populist radical right are still democratic, though Orban’s Hungary is a worrying lesson in how bad things are getting. For example, in his book The Far Right Today, Cas Mudde writes that ‘Hungary is no longer liberal or democratic. It has become a competitive authoritarian state, which allows an increasingly embattled and harassed opposition to exist only on the political margins.’

Additionally, it has to be remembered that even political extremists rarely resort to violence, be they Islamist, far-right, far-left, or whatever, and genuinely anti-democratic parties like, say, Greece’s XE enjoy little support.

Overall, the risk of a repeat of the worst horrors perpetrated by fascists in the past therefore remains unlikely, as does the idea that some kind of Caliphate will eventually be established in Europe.

Think that summarises the thesis and antithesis.

One other thing that bothers me is that, as I have said before on here, although we are a species that is capable of acts of selflessness when it comes to people that we hardly know, we are also still very tribalistic and capable of being turned against others quite easily. So it is a concern that some populists have become so proficient at exploiting that latter tendency.

what he said

5:14 BST​

Raymond Connolly surrounded by microphones and cameras as he speaks to the press
Image source,PA Media
We can bring you some reaction now from Raymond Connolly, the Conservative councillor whose wife Lucy pleaded guilty to publishing a social media post stirring up racial hatred earlier today.

Speaking outside court, Raymond Connolly says the last few weeks have been "quite traumatic" for his wife and children, and he now feels "kind of relieved".

Connolly says his wife regrets making the post, which she deleted within two hours, and that she is "the opposite" of a racist.

She was an "upset housewife" posting about what transpired to be misinformation about the Southport stabbings, he says.

Connolly, a Conservative councillor in Northamptonshire, says he has received support from residents asking him not to resign and from fellow councillors, adding "it's not affected my role".

Quote Message
The stuff I hear on the TV is not really Lucy. She knows that she overstepped the mark and there is consequences for it. Hopefully she'll be able to learn from this and move on with her life.
Raymond Connolly

what she posted shows your Mts IS a racist chum

what he said

Raymond Connolly surrounded by microphones and cameras as he speaks to the press
Image source,PA Media
We can bring you some reaction now from Raymond Connolly, the Conservative councillor whose wife Lucy pleaded guilty to publishing a social media post stirring up racial hatred earlier today.

Speaking outside court, Raymond Connolly says the last few weeks have been "quite traumatic" for his wife and children, and he now feels "kind of relieved".

Connolly says his wife regrets making the post, which she deleted within two hours, and that she is "the opposite" of a racist.

She was an "upset housewife" posting about what transpired to be misinformation about the Southport stabbings, he says.

Connolly, a Conservative councillor in Northamptonshire, says he has received support from residents asking him not to resign and from fellow councillors, adding "it's not affected my role".

Upset housewife , wtf . The judge said she has admitted sending racist tweets well before this time , yep racist woman

what he said

Image source,PA Media

Heard this on the radio and they made no reference to the actual tweet, just some gumpf about ‘incitement’.

Made her sound like just a poor little old lady who had been taken for a mug.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.