UK far right trouble July/August 24

I didn’t realise her rant included inciting torching hotels where asylum seekers were housed. Definitely has to do time, but some would say that’s it’s only words on the internet.

In the case of free speech, the Victorian philosopher John Stuart Mill drew the line at incitement. He famously contrasted a newspaper article in which the author claimed that corn dealers were starvers of the poor, with the same view spoken (or communicated via a placard) right outside a corn dealer’s house. The first is a controversial opinion that should be allowed to enter the public debate, even if the view is false or immoral; the second is, in those circumstances, an act of incitement to violence and unacceptable.

Mill's example is probably well-known in legal and philosophical circles and forms the basis for what became known as his Harm Principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_principle#:~:text=John Stuart Mill articulated the,Declaration of the Rights of

The key issue here is whether Facebook posts or tweets on X are comparable to Mill's placard, given that we are living at a time when disinformation abounds on social media and spreads like wildfire, leaving ordinary media outlets playing catch-up, and there are also lots of credulous people out there who are distrustful of the MSM but seem willing to take any old bollocks and shit at face value.

cue the pearl clutching

I think 31 months is too much. Obviously she shouldn’t have done it, but people like huw Edward’s - a peadophile gets a six month suspended sentence.

Similar to the just stop oil protesters getting years for a zoom call. Some of these sentences don’t make much sense to me, when violent criminals have gotten less.

I think 31 months is too much. Obviously she shouldn’t have done it, but people like huw Edward’s - a peadophile gets a six month suspended sentence.

Similar to the just stop oil protesters getting years for a zoom call. Some of these sentences don’t make much sense to me, when violent criminals have gotten less.

She’s only serving 40% of it.

she called for mass murder - burning people in their beds something that rightly outraged people the other night in the Gaza hospital footage. The effectiveness of her actions would have also included the destruction of private property and endangering the hotel staffs lives too. AND she admitted she was happy if that made her a racist.

In the case of free speech, the Victorian philosopher John Stuart Mill drew the line at incitement. He famously contrasted a newspaper article in which the author claimed that corn dealers were starvers of the poor, with the same view spoken (or communicated via a placard) right outside a corn dealer’s house. The first is a controversial opinion that should be allowed to enter the public debate, even if the view is false or immoral; the second is, in those circumstances, an act of incitement to violence and unacceptable.

Mill's example is probably well-known in legal and philosophical circles and forms the basis for what became known as his Harm Principle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harm_principle#:~:text=John Stuart Mill articulated the,Declaration of the Rights of

The key issue here is whether Facebook posts or tweets on X are comparable to Mill's placard, given that we are living at a time when disinformation abounds on social media and spreads like wildfire, leaving ordinary media outlets playing catch-up, and there are also lots of credulous people out there who are distrustful of the MSM but seem willing to take any old bollocks and shit at face value.
Any form of communication should be subject to this principle, especially with regard to disinformation. Back in those times it could’ve been a placard, a letter, or spoken word. Nowadays, we have so many forms of communication that we all have to take responsibility for what we want to convey.

Writing something on SM is exactly the same as sending all your friends a letter through the post. However, if it’s something to incite, how many letters would you write until you realised what you say was actually wrong?

Thanks for the detail, good to learn something new each day.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.