UK steel industry

The steel industry has been dead for years. Its end was inevitable, whoever was in government. How much was donated to Tata to keep it running?
It doesn't need to be tho. Having a UK steel industry has been considered to be of national importance by all governments until very recently circa 5 years ago. I've no idea why that has changed tbh. Perhaps brown envelopes changed hands ?? Shutting down our last blast furnaces means we will not be able to make steel. We will just be able to make inferior grade recycled steel. We will be the only country in the G20 unable to make its own steel! High grade steel is usually required to make ships and armaments. We will now be reliant on the importation of steel for our own arnaments industries.

The collapse of our steel industry is clearly the direct result of competition and import of steel from countries with much less stringent environmental controls and employment rights than in the UK aswell as low overheads.

TATAs Port Talbot Blast Furnaces are closing and we are the UK taxpayer are subsidising, to the tune of £500m, the construction of a smaller electric arc furnace in its place to recycle steel.

TATA meanwhile are building a new blast furnace in India. Presumably with help from the UK taxpayer money, after all it's essentially the same pot of money and same company.

How the closing of Port Talbot is being championed by anybody as a good result for the environment clearly doesnt stand up to scutiny when we will just end up importing the high grade blast furnace steel we need from other countries.

I believe it would be better if Tata were not susbisidised by the UK taxpayer but instead tariffs were brought in on all steel imports into the UK to level up the playing field. Therefore Tata would have a choice it either keeps and invests in Port Talbot blast furnaces or it let's that operation close and Port Talbot gets nationalised and carries on but with a level playing field.

It doesn't need to be tho. Having a UK steel industry has been considered to be of national importance by all governments until very recently circa 5 years ago. I've no idea why that has changed tbh. Perhaps brown envelopes changed hands ?? Shutting down our last blast furnaces means we will not be able to make steel. We will just be able to make inferior grade recycled steel. We will be the only country in the G20 unable to make its own steel! High grade steel is usually required to make ships and armaments. We will now be reliant on the importation of steel for our own arnaments industries.

The collapse of our steel industry is clearly the direct result of competition and import of steel from countries with much less stringent environmental controls and employment rights than in the UK aswell as low overheads.

TATAs Port Talbot Blast Furnaces are closing and we are the UK taxpayer are subsidising, to the tune of £500m, the construction of a smaller electric arc furnace in its place to recycle steel.

TATA meanwhile are building a new blast furnace in India. Presumably with help from the UK taxpayer money, after all it's essentially the same pot of money and same company.

How the closing of Port Talbot is being championed by anybody as a good result for the environment clearly doesnt stand up to scutiny when we will just end up importing the high grade blast furnace steel we need from other countries.

I believe it would be better if Tata were not susbisidised by the UK taxpayer but instead tariffs were brought in on all steel imports into the UK to level up the playing field. Therefore Tata would have a choice it either keeps and invests in Port Talbot blast furnaces or it let's that operation close and Port Talbot gets nationalised and carries on but with a level playing field.
They were losing money though. That becomes unsustainable.

They were losing money though. That becomes unsustainable.
Losing because they were competing with imported steel made in countries that have low or no environmental controls little or no employment rights and often subsidised. I know that has happened with many industries but many believe the argument for retaining a UK steel industry are slightly different for the reasons I outlined.

Thing with it is I watched the video when it was posted on line - its just illiterate bollocks - it fails to acknowledge the existence of the Kent, Welsh and Scottish coal fields and their contribution. Its a weak man representing a minority Party with bluff and bluster. Lets say he influences Govt. Lets say he reverses the Port Talbot blast furnace decision. What does that do directly for the constituents that put him there? He is campaigning on something thats what 200 miles away (this is Farage and fishing all over again )? Will it reopen coal mines in Ashfield? How does this affect Mayor Khan and the Islamist take over he claims is happening 150 miles away in London? All he wants to do is rabble rouse in a bier keller but wants nothing to do with his constituency until election time.

Losing because they were competing with imported steel made in countries that have low or no environmental controls little or no employment rights and often subsidised. I know that has happened with many industries but many believe the argument for retaining a UK steel industry are slightly different for the reasons I outlined.
I’d love capitalism to have social aspects applied to it. It just seems that not enough people want to do this and want the free market, which has killed our steel industry.

I am not blaming any government. Today is the first day of the rest of our lives, and I'd like us to do sensible things going forward. You can live in the past wallowing in your criticism of former governments if you like. Harold Wilson was a bit of a tosser wasn't he. And as for that Anthony Eden, well, what can I say.
Fair enough but the post I replied to you with was a Government criticism

Social and Environmental aspects! We still use steel why not make it in our own country. The day we don't need it then close the furnaces down.
Because it costs too much and the buyer needs the lowest possible price!

I don’t disagree with you, I just don’t see it being implemented anytime soon, which is a shame, because now is the time to do it. Big majority and no opposition!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.