UK's first active male professional footballer to come out publicly as gay

Well nobody needed to know, he could just get on with his own private life, privately...
In a sense you are right. The end goal should be that this is a non-story and doesn't merit a mention. However, as he is apparently the 'first' (lol) gay professional footballer than that in itself tells you this is a very real issue. Hopefully a deluge of positivity about this from fans, media and fellow professionals will encourage others to be confidentiality out and then as you say 'just get on with private life, privately'.

Shouldn't have to hide, shouldn't be a big deal. Hopefully he can just carry on doing what he loves with fear of backlash

It shouldn't be news in this day and age but guarantee he will get abuse every game he plays from mindless idiots.
Someone will make a rumour up likening him with Brighton in the next few weeks too.
I have faith that there are more good people than bad, and that a subject like this will ensure those good turn on anyone who takes the piss in the stands and tell them to shut the fuck up. I’m confident that will be the case.

Why is it that football seems to be behind the rest of society on this one issue? Particularly as they've tried to lead with the rainbow laces campaign etc.
Is a bit strange. Only thing you’d think is the changing room scenario. Not that I’d be remotely bothered however it’s why men and women change separately to begin with. Communal changing rooms I say!

Why is it that football seems to be behind the rest of society on this one issue? Particularly as they've tried to lead with the rainbow laces campaign etc.

Probably because of the whole situation in the dressing rooms afterwards and the showers.

that’s the only reason I can think of. Fair play to him for coming out, 99% of us don’t care, it’s the 1% who will be opinionated on this and cause the scene/abuse

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.