United 2016/17

Status
Not open for further replies.
From about 1992 onwards, the rest is a bit vague.
The mists start to conveniently clear between 1958 and 1968, but otherwise you are correct. It's comical that people who will doubtless point to united's history as their reason for starting to support them, know so little, short of what they're spoon fed by the club. It's also a little pathetic how much wilful blindness they assume on the subject of history, when it paints their club in a bad light - which is a sign of extreme mental weakness.

At least we accept that our club has frequently been ran in a corrupt, incompetent and dishonest fashion for a significant part of its history, despite the conspicuous absence of rancid meat from the equation.

The mists start to conveniently clear between 1958 and 1968, but otherwise you are correct. It's comical that people who will doubtless point to united's history as their reason for starting to support them, know so little, short of what they're spoon fed by the club. It's also a little pathetic how much wilful blindness they assume on the subject of history, when it paints their club in a bad light - which is a sign of extreme mental weakness.

At least we accept that our club has frequently been ran in a corrupt, incompetent and dishonest fashion for a significant part of its history, despite the conspicuous absence of rancid meat from the equation.

Not forgetting the 20 odd year gap when they didn't win the league which they hammer the scousers for. They turned the tide by floating on the stock exchange and purchased a new team.

Don't let the romantic myth get in the way of the facts.

Not forgetting the 20 odd year gap when they didn't win the league which they hammer the scousers for. They turned the tide by floating on the stock exchange and purchased a new team.

Don't let the romantic myth get in the way of the facts.
It wasn't just the float that gave them the edge, it was the way they had previously conspired with Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs in particular to systematically rewrite various rules on football finances in their favour, some of which had stood for a century. This was done with the express intent of giving them a clear advantage. If that isn't financial doping, I don't know what is, and it gave Ferguson, in conjunction with the globalisation of the English game, the platform to build what you see today.

I think i'm done with trying to have a decent conversation with United fans. I've tried. But they are becoming worse and worse. This few years of mediocrity has hit them hard, and they just tend to shout or talk over anything you say.

Their decline into becoming what they once mocked has been phenomenal. A bunch of history bores, bullies and hypocrites. I'm still not sure whether they believe what they spout after years of brainwashing, or they are having a hard time dealing with what is happening...

At least blues can take criticism and laugh at our failings (we've had enough practice over the years).

It wasn't just the float that gave them the edge, it was the way they had previously conspired with Liverpool, Arsenal and Spurs in particular to systematically rewrite various rules on football finances in their favour, some of which had stood for a century. This was done with the express intent of giving them a clear advantage. If that isn't financial doping, I don't know what is, and it gave Ferguson, in conjunction with the globalisation of the English game, the platform to build what you see today.

I'm sure Sky owning 10% of the club did a fair amount for their profile in the early days as Sky wanted to buy them.

I'm sure Sky owning 10% of the club did a fair amount for their profile in the early days as Sky wanted to buy them.
That was another factor too. Sky realised their rising marketability soon enough. United would have been around the front of the queue in any event, of course. It is undeniable that for decades, prior to the formation of the Premier League, they were a hugely supported club, but any suggestion that their subsequent dominance arose from entirely equitable circumstances is a lie. They shaped the landscape from which they benefitted, as ultimately, so did we, it's right to say.

That was another factor too. Sky realised their rising marketability soon enough. United would have been around the front of the queue in any event, of course. It is undeniable that for decades, prior to the formation of the Premier League, they were a hugely supported club, but any suggestion that their subsequent dominance arose from entirely equitable circumstances is a lie. They shaped the landscape from which they benefitted, as ultimately, so did we, it's right to say.
It gets me that rags I speak to don't see the irony that the Premier league they shaped created us and the ADUG business model. The rags rested on their laurels convinced they would be the dominate brand in England. Chelsea, then us, saw that wouldn't happen. Since our takeover the club and their fans have acted like it's their ball and they will take it home unless they get what they want.

Looks like another City/United title race, with perhaps a Chelsea dark horse? I dunno.

Interesting stuff...

Derby will be a particularly fiery one! Can't wait. It's on Sky right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.