United (A) - League Cup SF Post-Match Thread

Is he missing for the second leg?

Hard to say whether or not they are better with or without Maguire, I know they got torn to shred by us Tuesday night without him, But they also could of been 3 or 4-0 down at HT against Arsenal with Maguire playing. I'd still much prefer Phil Van Dijk playing than Maguire :)
I am no sure. He was reported as having torn a hip muscle. A torn muscle would normally be a month at least but this morning's papers are saying he wants to play against Norwich.

Edit: OGS just said in his press conference that Maguire will train today so sounds like press reports were inaccurate.

Last edited:
It happened at the 1-1 draw in February 1990 and there were a lot of City fans in their end - attendance was 40,000 and capacity was 48,000

I thought they reduced the capacity for that game because of the trouble at the 5-1 a few months earlier at ours? Not saying it was full to the reduced capacity but pretty sure that had something to do with it being only a 40,000 crowd

I saw a Nigel de Jong interview on Youtube (Bein sports) where he said that Bernardo played in a similar role to the "Messi Barcelona position" against United. He certainly looked fantastic in that free role. If he carries on like this (and last season's form) Bernardo could become one of the world's best players. I am not saying Bernardo is as good as Messi but moving forward I think he and KDB can be in the top three or four in the world. What a prospect. It may well tempt Pep to extend his contract. If we can sort out our defence we will be untouchable.
I agree. He’s a wonderful footballer we are lucky to watch play for the team we support. Saddened me when he looked like a shadow of his former self after the Mendy stitch-up but he’s back to an elite level.

+1, i agree. I was shitting as if almost in slow motion in my mind I saw fernie's hip start to edge into rashford's path. in the next split second i actually saw him going over and ref pointing to the spot.
I was gobsmacked when he didn't go down, he had no advantage to staying up either, he was never going to make something happen there.
credit where it's due, fair play to rashford i have to say, though OGS may not have had those words later i expect.

Just like city players.... Maybe Rashford was advertising himself to pep

Lifted off a forum over here....

"Manchester United the once great football club is dying lads. Its sad to see but it's the reality imo. We're just a very well marketed cash cow upper middle table club who's owners and directors are trying to fool the fans into believing we are building something special with this romanticised giving youth a chance bullsh1t.
The days of Utd doing what it takes to compete at the top level are gone. Woodward has wasted a billion since Fergie and I think the Glazers have decided to close the purse strings and push the whole giving youth a chance mantra. It's the cheaper option. A strong manager like Jose wouldn't stand for it but Ole will tow the company line and won't rock the boat.
I don't think we'll see Man Utd win another title or champions league while the Glazers are owners, and most definitely not with a manager as poor as Ole at the helm. We might win the odd cup but that'll be it imo."

God love 'em, they're hurting. I'd love to see what they'd be like if they ever had to endure the run we had from 1996-99.
I’m old enough to remember them when their manager was Atkinson. They were the same then with the odd FA cup for silverware. Then along cane the Premier League under Sky. Murdoch saw United as his ticket for brand recognition and United saw what Murdoch could do for them. It was a symbiotic relationship that caused an uneven playing field for United’s competitors. Along came Wenger and they e.g. Ferguson and his friends at PGMOB and the media decided to take him out. It was then that I realised their sinister nature and that if it wasn’t for bias, corruption and cheating they’d still be the same piss ants they were in the 80’s. Alas, they made their bed with Murdoch and latterly, the Glazers, and now they have to lie in it. Karma some would call it and long may it continue. Next on the list is Liverpool. They’ll get their karma too, I believe.

Some of our football was outstanding this week. I watched it on the box and loved the cutaways to the United guys on the bench and in the stands, with their WTF expressions as we literally ran rings around them.

Pep - what a blooming genius
Yep. I had a chuckle when I saw the faces of Ferguson, Charlton and Woodward. A dark day for the evil empire.

I thought they reduced the capacity for that game because of the trouble at the 5-1 a few months earlier at ours? Not saying it was full to the reduced capacity but pretty sure that had something to do with it being only a 40,000 crowd

I remember it well. There were very strict ticket buying restrictions in terms of vouchers or whatever for United fans.

I went down there trying to buy off a tout. "Any spare tickets?".There were hundreds of people on the forecourt doing the same and absolutely no tickets about. I don't think I saw one being sold. At kick off there were still absolutely hundreds scrounging around, I presume mostly blues, and we all sloped off. I went back to my mate's car to wait as a couple of them had tickets. I sat in the car on the car park and listened to the match. When Brightwell equalised I went ballistic and at exactly that moment I caught the eye of a few lads in the next car doing exactly the same. We all damced around the car park for a while and then got on with our lives.

Not been able to get a SKY full match replay, has that guy Tyler i think stopped screaming ` technical foul` yet, just wanted to see if he mentions it more times than City actually fouled?

Just watching the Utd v City highlights the best thing about it being Martin Tyler commentating like he's describing his house being burgled on the cctv to mobile phone system he's got set up.

Oh he's taking fifa now. I've not even played it yet.
There's the telly gone.
I paid £500 for that jacket.
(As he sits there, despondent, shaking his head, infront of the screen)
And now they're in the cupboards. Eating my chocolate digestives. This really is becoming ridiculous now.
I hope he finished watching his house been done by saying and it's live.

Perhaps Maguire is better than we thought.

I know we changed formation but the other difference was Maguire's absence.

The only good thing Ruud Gullit said as a pundit was that games are decided by small details, or it was the first time I'd heard it said and it resonated with me. Remember early on at 0-0, Rashford goes through and Fernandinho comes out and challenges him. He was about 2 cm from taking him out. If Rashford goes down, penalty and the game changes. Probably totally.

I am glad Maguire will be out for the 2nd leg. We must not take this game for granted. Prize is a shot at the League Cup Final and winning three League Cups back to back. That would be something.
No, he's definitely not.
Watch goals scored against them and Maguire is nowhere to be seen.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.