United (A) Post Match Thread

The aim still won't be to play dull football. The approach is lower risk; not higher.

If games end up being dull, that will normally be because opponents park the bus.

I agree it’s not just down to us but it’s dull all the same. I don’t mind so much when I’m not at the ground. When I am, I’d rather we took the risk.

The aim still won't be to play dull football. The approach is lower risk; not higher.

If games end up being dull, that will normally be because opponents park the bus.
The lower risk approach doesn't seem to be working though does it? We've played 5 teams so far who are higher than us in the league and we haven't won one.

Totally understandable. The team is not playing exciting football. Pep can only work with what he has. We are missing a key ingredient and it is not working. No player in the squad can currently play like Dave. Maybe foden but that is a lot to ask of him and unfair. We looked better with gundo recently. He can help fill the silva void. We need to be patient. Let’s be honest we all have watched so much worse over the years.
I don't get the Foden will replace Dave thing. Whenever I see Foden play he seems a very different style of player. Much more athletic but not as comfortable on the ball. When Foden does move into centre mid I think he'll be a more box to box player. Same as Bernardo, who is also not a replacement for Dave. Closest we've got for that is Rodri.

The lower risk approach doesn't seem to be working though does it? We've played 5 teams so far who are higher than us in the league and we haven't won one.
Exactly, we seem as fearful about the top sides as they do about us. And we just end up cancelling each other out or losing

Depends on when you think the lower risk approach that I am referring to really started. I think what I describe as a 4-2-4 shape has only really been prevalent in the last few matches, post Spurs really; although I'd say we used it against Liverpool.

We have had six clean sheets in all competitions, I am not going to say if we keep that up... because that is not possible but as I have said umpteen times now, if we do keep a lot of clean sheets, we will win the vast majority of those games.

I am interested to see if Pep sticks with 4-2-4 against WBA or goes back to 4-3-3. One thing is for sure, it can take time to make something "new" work so concluding that the approach doesn't work at this point is premature. Good as Pep is, he can't just click his fingers and make things work instantly.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.