United (A) | Post Match Thread

For me the offside is quite clear, as soon as Rashford makes a run towards the ball he is impacting the opposition. if he stood still and Rat Boy ran on to it then that is fine but not when he makes a run towards the ball.

That said, on the flip side of this, why in the first half when Foden was flagged offside (for tighter decisions) was the play stopped by the ref for a freekick to them but this didn't happen with the Rashford incident ?

At no point on Saturday was I worried about United scoring until after that decision. I thought we pretty much controlled the game up until that point and were value for our 1-0 scoreline. I am slightly worried that we seem to be creating much less chances though and that needs to be put right. Haaland had probably one of his best games in terms of touches and link up play but was quiet infront of goal.

Really not sure what is wrong with Foden at the moment, he seems like his head is on another body. Needs to get back to basics.

I would personally start Alvarez on the left against Spurs with Mahrez on the right, he played there during the world cup and will give us that extra tenacity.

I've had long debate on the referees' chat page about the "letter of the law" - and can see the argument about "action", "attempting to play the ball" and that these have to "impact" on opponents, and that whatever Rashford did, it didn't offend under the precise wording of the law. But then I found this, and it obviously applies to this case. Even if the illustrations are in the penalty area, they cover when a "goalkeeper needs to delay his action to wait and see if the attacking player in an offside position touches/plays the ball" (and the illustrations for not attempting to play the ball don't include doing bloody stepovers).

https://thirdblindmouse.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/ifab-law-11-illustrations.pdf
Exactly. Take out all the noise: did the people who wrote that specific law intend for goals like Saturday to stand? Was it by design or was it a weird quirk that goes against the spirit of the offside law. It's as clear as day to anyone who has watched or played football that no one would ever write an offside rule where that goal is a goal. For 110 years the flag would have gone up immediately, no one in the crowd would have even grumbled, and everyone would have carried on.

Two United flags taped up in the canteen at work. Bless their little cotton socks, they all emerge from under their rocks after winning against a team that, apparently, aren't even their biggest rivals these days.
Agreed mate, the outpouring of emotions when they scored their second was there for all to see, they think not mentioning City in their song cock of the north also bothers us, its a concerted effort by them to not show how much we actually live in their heads day to day week to week. I mean they crack on that Liverpool are their main rivals-not when you live in the same city as you superior neighbours it doesn't, I mean Leeds FFS in their song, Leeds have never been anyone's rivals , they're a fucking sad bunch are united fans-they hate us more than any other club and thats a fact.

Playing devil's advocate. Does this now mean that it is possible to have a player camped in the oppositions area? If he is deemed not to be attempting to play the ball he can not be offside?

No that decision against us will never ever happen again it be offside end of

Agreed mate, the outpouring of emotions when they scored their second was there for all to see, they think not mentioning City in their song cock of the north also bothers us, its a concerted effort by them to not show how much we actually live in their heads day to day week to week. I mean they crack on that Liverpool are their main rivals-not when you live in the same city as you superior neighbours it doesn't, I mean Leeds FFS in their song, Leeds have never been anyone's rivals , they're a fucking sad bunch are united fans-they hate us more than any other club and thats a fact.

Embarrassing them celebrating like they’d won a World Cup or something. The Aguero moment was an earthquake for them, and after that we’ve steam rolled them for the last decade, it wasn’t meant to be on the brochure for their fans that they wouldn’t be supporting a team that could compete for the top prizes. They’ve spent the last ten years sat hiding under a rock looking for any crumb of comfort that the good times will be back. One rag has declared they are in the title race, yeah it’s possible but has anyone seen their goal difference?

Five years won nought it showed in Fernandas face like he won a trophy With that offside goal! He is one unlikeable bloke on the field of play

He's ran 30 yards for a ball that has been played into him. He's about to strike the ball with his left foot and then leaves it for Fernandes. If that isn't interfering I don't know what is?

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.