United Thread 2015/16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, this is getting rather tiresome, but you've raced off on a few tangents there. I'm not disputing attendances in the 1950's or match fixing in 1915 or whatever it was? Nor am I arguing that City or Leeds are/were our rivals, or even the loose definition of the term 'Derby'. What I'm disputing is the statement you made about Alex Ferguson creating the rivalry with Liverpool. It's simply incorrect. I have shown you footage from the previous manager to Fergie stating that the atmosphere at those games was pure hatred. There's also an hour long interview with the Doc which adds further insight into the feeling around the club at the time. I've shown you the Munich banners and 'Atkinson Fat head' that Liverpool fans brought to Heysel with them. They had similar banners at Wembley in 77 and in Rome. They sang are you watching 'Manchester' at every final, not are you watching Everton. And we sang are you watching Merseyside, not Leeds at all of our finals. I know, because I was there at the time. Funny that. What I'm really struggling to grasp, is why you are even disputing it or what you have to gain from doing so? As other posters on this thread have stated, City were in a different division for long periods so we concentrated on overcoming the enemy, and Liverpool were THE team to beat from 1975 all the way to the mid nineties. There was nothing manufactured about it.

Yes it is getting tedious... but that's mainly because you cannot simply pack it in and admit when you are beat... you will NEVER win an argument over Mancunian footballing history (Blue and Red) with Gary James... end of!
Also Gary did not say the 'rivalry' was an invention of Ferguson, he simply took the seething jealousy the club held for the more successful Liverpool and stoked the fire so that the fans picked up on it.
The clip you show of Fat Ron only says the players thought the games against Liverpool at that time we heated affairs – but it's out of context... we don't know how he and the players felt about playing Leeds, City or Arsenal for example at that time. It's an isolated quote used to prove the agenda you're pushing... it's classic media manipulation, I could find a quote, or take clip from an interview to fit any argument I wanted.
As for singing "are you watching Merseyside?", again that is simply because you want to win more than them – if Leeds had won 18 titles and 5 European Cups you'd sing "Are you watching Leed?" United have had this arrogant sense of entitlement since the late 50's, their ego preened by the press and their arses kissed to such an extent that this entitlement became part of the vile fabric of the club – it's why you were so univerally hated. Because of this belief you were the best team around lead you to lash out and oppose whoever actually was the top team at the time, hence the attacking of the BWFC bus.
I grew up in the 70's and went to school with Rags, the 'rivalry' simply didn't exist.

An anagram of tony marshall/shallyman is Llama Anally Hymn Trots ..... very fucking apt considering they both talk out of their fucking arses....let the rag scum think dippers is their derby.... we all know that its only the derby for 4th/5th place.

Scummy rag twats

The clock banner was just a bit of friendly banter. Nobody took it seriously. Least not from our mindset. We didn't really view you as real rivals competitively I mean. The hatred and venom from Lfc was real though. Very real indeed.

Just a bit of friendly banter..."......bollox total bollox.
If I recall correctly you had the official rag web site taking the piss around the 23 year period, asking rags to submit pics with 23 in the background.

Do you remember or are you a recent rag glory hunter from darn sarf?

An anagram of tony marshall/shallyman is Llama Anally Hymn Trots ..... very fucking apt considering they both talk out of their fucking arses....let the rag scum think dippers is their derby.... we all know that its only the derby for 4th/5th place.

Scummy rag twats
Very good effort with the anagram. On the rivalry/relevance debate I don't think anybody is saying you are not relevant now. Just that up until 2010 or so you never posed a threat. Of course you were relevant to yourselves and your level rivals but you were simply historically not relevant as rival for titles. You certainly are now though.

The clock banner was just a bit of friendly banter. Nobody took it seriously. Least not from our mindset. We didn't really view you as real rivals competitively I mean. The hatred and venom from Lfc was real though. Very real indeed.

Proper United fans would have nothing to do with any of them cringeworthy flags and slogans. And I don't think I've ever met a United fan who pays them any attention at all. The counter one raised a smirk, because for a while nobody could work out what it meant. I think the joke became less funny as the years rolled on. The guy behind it is a short-arse from Runcorn. Probably never been near OT before 1992. There was a rumor that stretford end flags are on the Glazers payrol. In a bid to improve the atmosphere after the tragic 'sit down' nonsense which turned the place into a library.

On the rivalry/relevance debate I don't think anybody is saying you are not relevant now. Just that up until 2010 or so you never posed a threat. Of course you were relevant to yourselves and your level rivals but you were simply historically not relevant as rival for titles. You certainly are now though.

I'm guessing you weren't around in 1968?

By your ridiculous analogy Chelsea are our real rivals because they are the only club currently at our level. The previous 100+ years doesn't count? I suppose Villa fans aren't celebrating tonight?

Proper United fans would have nothing to do with any of them cringeworthy flags and slogans. And I don't think I've ever met a United fan who pays them any attention at all. The counter one raised a smirk, because for a while nobody could work out what it meant. I think the joke became less funny as the years rolled on. The guy behind it is a short-arse from Runcorn. Probably never been near OT before 1992. There was a rumor that stretford end flags are on the Glazers payrol. In a bid to improve the atmosphere after the tragic 'sit down' nonsense which turned the place into a library.

Nail on the head there... it's like the guy off the Fast Show - Colin - who was the office joker, thought he was funny but everyone else thought he was a wanker. He'd tell a joke and no one laughed, so he'd tell it over, and over, and over... still only he laughed... just like that banner. It was actually embarrassing.
Incidentally an ex-work colleague of mine, big blue, went to the derby at the swamp years ago... the one on Valentines Day, in the cup. We made a banner which he took with a picture of KK in gangster outfit and tommy gun with the words "The St. Valentine's Day Massacre"... the steward wouldn't let him drape it over the stand, saying it was too big (was it fook), but did say it was a good effort and that "they wouldn't come up with anything like that here, they haven't got the sense of humour!"

Bullshit. What about that pathetic Red Flag Group who used to sneak into Maine Road at the end of cup ties we'd lost? You all thought you were so funny at the time but now it's come back to bite you. If we weren't relevant why did you do that? Why did you attack the City shop on Market Street when we won the FA Cup after you had already won the Premier League? That was a bit of banter was it?

Bullshit. What about that pathetic Red Flag Group who used to sneak into Maine Road at the end of cup ties we'd lost? You all thought you were so funny at the time but now it's come back to bite you. If we weren't relevant why did you do that? Why did you attack the City shop on Market Street when we won the FA Cup after you had already won the Premier League? That was a bit of banter was it?

I genuinely have no idea what you are on about. Never have I been involved in any flag related japery, nor have I had an altercation with a retail outlet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.