United thread 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another gem from the caf in a discussion on a proposal about goalkeeper distribution and playing out from the back, similar to the top 4 or 5 in this country.

Don’t get sucked in by all this distribution nonsense. I’d want my goalkeeper to keep the ball out of the net and he's so far out on his own as world number one that I couldn’t even tell you who’s a close second. All this knocking it around their own penalty box that City do with the keeper involved what’s it really achieving ? Triangles in your own penalty box, you’re not really taking opposition players out of the game that deep and it’s done with huge risk. Much prefer to see a keeper blast it 80 yards down field, away from danger and let Martial and Rashford get hold of it and do their stuff.

Aah, warms the heart doesn't it?

He must have missed Sane's goal against Liverpool.

Clearly trying to maintain the Status Quo by bringing Rossi in. He's older than me!

What next? Jake and Elway re-forming the band?

If they do it would be typical Yoonitid, doing it on the cheap, City would get Jake and Elwood to reform

Another gem from the caf in a discussion on a proposal about goalkeeper distribution and playing out from the back, similar to the top 4 or 5 in this country.

Don’t get sucked in by all this distribution nonsense. I’d want my goalkeeper to keep the ball out of the net and he's so far out on his own as world number one that I couldn’t even tell you who’s a close second. All this knocking it around their own penalty box that City do with the keeper involved what’s it really achieving ? Triangles in your own penalty box, you’re not really taking opposition players out of the game that deep and it’s done with huge risk. Much prefer to see a keeper blast it 80 yards down field, away from danger and let Martial and Rashford get hold of it and do their stuff.

Ah good old John Beck. May as well be Cambridge

It's the rag way ! Always has been.

It's no good playing long if you don't have a decent target man. If the ball isn't being held up then you lose possession straight away. All keepers also seem to make occasional mistakes with kicking long so it's not a fool proof tactic. It amazes me how often FB's try to kick thew ball down the line & it ends up going out of play, yet when you see them on the warm up they are doing tricks & flicks with the ball.

It's no good playing long if you don't have a decent target man. If the ball isn't being held up then you lose possession straight away. All keepers also seem to make occasional mistakes with kicking long so it's not a fool proof tactic. It amazes me how often FB's try to kick thew ball down the line & it ends up going out of play, yet when you see them on the warm up they are doing tricks & flicks with the ball.
As a fullback who could strike a ball extremely well, I can confirm that hitting a moving ball, while on the run (frequently at a different angle to the one you're hitting the ball at), accurately into a narrow channel down the line, without looking and while under heavy pressure from one or more opposition players, is far more difficult than doing keepy-ups with the ball in the warm up :)

As a fullback who could strike a ball extremely well, I can confirm that hitting a moving ball, while on the run (frequently at a different angle to the one you're hitting the ball at), accurately into a narrow channel down the line, without looking and while under heavy pressure from one or more opposition players, is far more difficult than doing keepy-ups with the ball in the warm up :)
The computer power to effectively model the trajectory of a moving ball and subsequent change of direction when kicked is phenomenal; the amount of variables alone is huge.

Effectively a player is using their eyes, ears (balance), sense of speed/acceleration and muscle memory to place their foot in the exact position at the correct velocity to make the ball change direction and arrive in a small target area at the right time. Absolutely amazing when you think about it.

The computer power to effectively model the trajectory of a moving ball and subsequent change of direction when kicked is phenomenal; the amount of variables alone is huge.

Effectively a player is using their eyes, ears (balance), sense of speed/acceleration and muscle memory to place their foot in the exact position at the correct velocity to make the ball change direction and arrive in a small target area at the right time. Absolutely amazing when you think about it.
Yeah, most of it is muscle memory and cortex fueled, the conscious mind wouldn't have a hope of figuring it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.