United thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC News - Edinson Cavani ban: Uruguay players want Man Utd striker's punishment overturned

Am sure having renowned racist and biter Luis Suarez in his corner will help...

I don't know where to begin with this. Yes, the punishment was more than I expected and yes there is a huge oversensitivity towards such language, laughably from the older white dinosaurs that seem to make up much of our FA. But they made the rules and punishments known, punished others to that standard, and would have been shown up if they hadn't follows this one through. As we've seen, it doesn't matter if offence was intended or taken, to our FA.

But to suggest that such language is acceptable, no even more than that is integral, to the culture and society of Uruguay, ignoring that the player plays under the rules of another country's federation where rules and interpretation may be different.. I admit I have no real knowledge of Uruguayan culture but that seems a very odd statement.. how dare you take away my right to call my black friends by their colour, it's my national culture... But Cavani doesn't play in the Uruguayan league.

it's striking the number of united players who try to excuse and legitamise their behavior and are prepared to enlist the help of others to do so.

Be it Liar Liar and the Albanian mafia, Rio and the bathroom window, Giggs and his sister in law, Eric and his Munich tribute fee, or Cavani and the 'its ok where I come from' crowd, who by the way were nowhere to be seen when Bernie for a similar ban, dragged through the gutter by he media and had his form visibly affected (laughably for the BBC the just last night question why we have not been playing him more after his great performance!), It's funny how it's different when it's one of their players.
He's been playing in Europe for the last 15 years yet doesn't know what he said may upset someone?

That's the dumbest analogy I've heard about the whole situation. It's absolutely not applicable.

If you want to make a comparison it's like you going to Saudi Arabia and saying something in Egnlish and being arrested because what you said sounds like a blasphemous word in arabic.

Let's be clear here, Cavani said a completely inoffensive word in common use in Spanish and he's been punished because someone decided it sounds like an offensive word in another language.

The Uruguayan PFA completely nail it here -

"He merely used a common expression in Latin America to affectionately address a loved one or close friend.
The sanction shows the English Football Association's biased, dogmatic and ethnocentric vision that only allows a subjective interpretation to be made".
No one on here really cares because they think it's funny a United player got banned, but this is the FA deciding that they can unilaterally decide what is racist and not, independent of whether it actually is. Now any player, including ours, can face a 3 match ban and get painted as a racist publicly if they simply say a word that sounds a bit like something offensive in English to someone at the FA.
Not valid. It was not a word that merely sounds offensive in English - it means little black man. So it is a racial reference. The fact that it is not considered offensive in Spain or Uruguay misses the point. Gay slurs are still acceptable in certain countries. Doesn't mean we should accept them here. Cavani may be ignorant rather than racist - but if Bernardo got banned, he absolutely should too.

Not valid. It was not a word that merely sounds offensive in English - it means little black man. So it is a racial reference. The fact that it is not considered offensive in Spain or Uruguay misses the point. Gay slurs are still acceptable in certain countries. Doesn't mean we should accept them here. Cavani may be ignorant rather than racist - but if Bernardo got banned, he absolutely should too.
Agreed. There was a case a few months ago where an American linguistics professor was suspended for using the Chinese phrase na-ge (in the context of explaining it's meaning) because it sounded like the N-word. That is absolutely ridiculous. This is different, as you say. But to continue the analogy that domalino uses, it would be like going to Saudi Arabia, saying publicly (in English) that God doesn't exist, and then being surprised when you got punished for blasphemy. It's then not a defence that in your culture that's considered an acceptable sentiment. Would an Australian saying "Thanks P-word" not be sanctioned because it's not offensive over there?

But also let's be clear, this is a defence coming out of a country that almost universally tried to defend a player biting an opponent. If there were "Spanish language experts" from Spain, or Argentina, or Chile also backing up this idea that he hasn't used racist language, I'd be more tempted to listen.

Having said that, Bernardo got banned for one game, so I'm not sure why Cavani is getting more than that. It seems like a similar thing.

But also let's be clear, this is a defence coming out of a country that almost universally tried to defend a player biting an opponent. If there were "Spanish language experts" from Spain, or Argentina, or Chile also backing up this idea that he hasn't used racist language, I'd be more tempted to listen.

Having said that, Bernardo got banned for one game, so I'm not sure why Cavani is getting more than that. It seems like a similar thing.
He didn’t get the same abuse from the media, who banged on for days regarding Bernado. So a longer ban feels appropriate to me.

I read that as "gay sluts".

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201027-213041_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20201027-213041_Messenger.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.