United thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
BBC News - Edinson Cavani ban: Uruguay players want Man Utd striker's punishment overturned

Am sure having renowned racist and biter Luis Suarez in his corner will help...

I don't know where to begin with this. Yes, the punishment was more than I expected and yes there is a huge oversensitivity towards such language, laughably from the older white dinosaurs that seem to make up much of our FA. But they made the rules and punishments known, punished others to that standard, and would have been shown up if they hadn't follows this one through. As we've seen, it doesn't matter if offence was intended or taken, to our FA.

But to suggest that such language is acceptable, no even more than that is integral, to the culture and society of Uruguay, ignoring that the player plays under the rules of another country's federation where rules and interpretation may be different.. I admit I have no real knowledge of Uruguayan culture but that seems a very odd statement.. how dare you take away my right to call my black friends by their colour, it's my national culture... But Cavani doesn't play in the Uruguayan league.

it's striking the number of united players who try to excuse and legitamise their behavior and are prepared to enlist the help of others to do so.

Be it Liar Liar and the Albanian mafia, Rio and the bathroom window, Giggs and his sister in law, Eric and his Munich tribute fee, or Cavani and the 'its ok where I come from' crowd, who by the way were nowhere to be seen when Bernie for a similar ban, dragged through the gutter by he media and had his form visibly affected (laughably for the BBC the just last night question why we have not been playing him more after his great performance!), It's funny how it's different when it's one of their players.
The analogy I’ve used in the past, is if a Briton was caught drinking vodka in Saudi Arabia, would he/she be allowed to use the excuse that it’s legal in my home country?

Not a chance. Therefore Cavani's excuse is also a non-starter.

Do you not get booked for repeatedly not retreating and attempting to delay the taking of a free-kick these days?
Not if you’re one of the two cheeks of the same arse.

Magliar wouldn’t give the ball back to Villa on Friday, but nothing was done.

The analogy I’ve used in the past, is if a Briton was caught drinking vodka in Saudi Arabia, would he/she be allowed to use the excuse that it’s legal in my home country?

Not a chance. Therefore Cavani's excuse is also a non-starter.

That's the dumbest analogy I've heard about the whole situation. It's absolutely not applicable.

If you want to make a comparison it's like you going to Saudi Arabia and saying something in Egnlish and being arrested because what you said sounds like a blasphemous word in arabic.

Let's be clear here, Cavani said a completely inoffensive word in common use in Spanish and he's been punished because someone decided it sounds like an offensive word in another language.

The Uruguayan PFA completely nail it here -

"He merely used a common expression in Latin America to affectionately address a loved one or close friend.
The sanction shows the English Football Association's biased, dogmatic and ethnocentric vision that only allows a subjective interpretation to be made".
No one on here really cares because they think it's funny a United player got banned, but this is the FA deciding that they can unilaterally decide what is racist and not, independent of whether it actually is. Now any player, including ours, can face a 3 match ban and get painted as a racist publicly if they simply say a word that sounds a bit like something offensive in English to someone at the FA.

Last edited:
Its not the same but its the same argument as going somewhere in the middle east and insulting Allah and thinking that is fine because in my country we have freedom of speech.
Bollocks is that the case.
You move to a country then you follow their customs. You dont do something or say something that can be seen as insulting or derogatory.
Bit like being ordered to take down UK flags from your house in your own country because it offends.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.