United thread 2020/21

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought for today; in the past week......

utd have scored 12 goals and won 4 points
Citeh have scored 6 goals and won 6 pts.

As you were. Carry on.

Last season our record compared against Liverpool.
City scored 102 goals, 81 points
L'Pool scored 85 goals, 99 points

Perhaps also one of the reasons why Pep decided to fix the defence.

Last season our record compared against Liverpool.
City scored 102 goals, 81 points
L'Pool scored 85 goals, 99 points

Perhaps also one of the reasons why Pep decided to fix the defence.
I agree with you, the balance seems completely out....but then didnt we also only concede 1 or 2 goals more than the best defence in the history of English football?

Even now I struggle to see how we lost 9 last season

We’ve now sacked off this double pivot but still seem rock solid at the back. I can’t put my finger on how we don’t look as susceptible to counter attacks any more despite having just as much attacking threat as the last few seasons

I agree with you, the balance seems completely out....but then didnt we also only concede 1 or 2 goals more than the best defence in the history of English football?

We’ve now sacked off this double pivot but still seem rock solid at the back. I can’t put my finger on how we don’t look as susceptible to counter attacks any more despite having just as much attacking threat as the last few seasons
we still have the double pivot, but cancelo is now playing it allowing gundogan to free roam and get into the box

we still have the double pivot, but cancelo is now playing it allowing gundogan to free roam and get into the box
Yep, Spit highlighted this point on MNF last night. The usual Sly insightful analysis of highlighting what we do so that other teams could maybe adapt - as if any PL team's analysts don't already know this.

We are still playing the double pivot, but we just adjusted and tweaked it more this season.

The previous double pivot was more static, with Gundogan + Rodri. This season we play more into Gundo's excellence going forward, so Cancelo comes in when Gundo moves forward, to form double pivot with Rodri.

On paper & how we normally look last season:

----LW---Striker----RW---
-------------AM--------------
-----Gundo-----Rodri------
LB----CB------CB-----Cancelo

This season when we are in possession:

----LW---Striker---RW---
-----Gundo-------AM-------
-------Rodri---Cancelo------
----LB--------CB----------CB----

A 4-2-3-1 into a 3-4-3. Movement is dictated by who is playing on the day, but this is the general gist of it.

Sometimes the attacking midfield gets to push higher up, so we get a 3-3-4.

This setup lets us match man-for-man against most defenses so we don't lose the edge in attack, and subsequently allows us to retain numbers in midfield, something Pep loves. Retaining the double pivot even as we are on the attack, also protects the team from counter-attacks.

We are still playing the double pivot, but we just adjusted and tweaked it more this season.

The previous double pivot was more static, with Gundogan + Rodri. This season we play more into Gundo's excellence going forward, so Cancelo comes in when Gundo moves forward, to form double pivot with Rodri.

On paper & how we normally look last season:

----LW---Striker----RW---
-------------AM--------------
-----Gundo-----Rodri------
LB----CB------CB-----Cancelo

This season when we are in possession:

----LW---Striker---RW---
-----Gundo-------AM-------
-------Rodri---Cancelo------
----LB--------CB----------CB----

A 4-2-3-1 into a 3-4-3. Movement is dictated by who is playing on the day, but this is the general gist of it.

Sometimes the attacking midfield gets to push higher up, so we get a 3-3-4.

This setup lets us match man-for-man against most defenses so we don't lose the edge in attack, and subsequently allows us to retain numbers in midfield, something Pep loves. Retaining the double pivot even as we are on the attack, also protects the team from counter-attacks.
Thanks for that and a very good explanation. I love how pep thinks outside the box with this and how our players can transition in to different formations with/without the ball without even thinking.

Recognising tactical tweaks/changes is much harder to spot when watching on tv and especially when it’s impossible to know where Cancelo is playing ha!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.