United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
It doesn't surprise me at all. Whenever I watch United it is highly unusual for the opposition not to be the better side, or at the very least look very threatening. Clearly results wise, United go on to get the points in many of these games, but very rarely do United look significantly the better side.
Doesn't surprise me, either. They'll struggle for 80 minutes and clearly can't string anything together, but, hey ho, come 85 there's a nothing free kick on the edge of the box!!

Strange stat for united…mainly for nerdy types such as myself.

There are a number of ranking sites of the internet and the two best respected are 538 and Clubelo.

They both measure slightly different things. Clubelo is purely results based so win and your rating will go up lose and you go down. 538 is based on performance and result so if you perform better than expected the rating goes up and vice versa. It uses underlying performance statistics, strips the luck out and is a better predictor of what will happen than Clubelo.

As you would expect the two sets of rankings produce similar results particularly at the top with sides usually within 5 places of each other…except united.

Clubelo has united 9th while 538 has them 25th….that’s a big difference. It’s not the only one but it’s the stand out one near the top.

It basically suggests that united are getting results they don’t deserve and that their “luck” is keeping them in the top 4. One for the conspiracy theorists?!

538 has united finishing 6th in the PL based on performance, points gained so far and remaining fixtures.

I have a feeling that they will finish 4th…funny that.

I posted about the coaches table a few days after Ralf was appointed
I think I misinterpreted the sites methodology though. I previously read it as the match result not mattering, just the relative positions. Whereas it is about the result and the relative positions.

Ralf (from memory) was 10th on the all time list when he was appointed, where he remains.
Remember to scroll down past number 1, all the way to number 29.... (whilst bearing in mind the site's phrase 'more recent matches are more heavily weighted, and remembering position number 2 for any Ferguson apologists you happen to mention the fact to)

Don't know if anyone else knew this?

Only found out from a Rag in work after the Greenwood story broke.

The Rags, mainly their singing section in the corner of the Stretford End, had been singing..... "She said no Mendy, she said no"

Obviously Greenwood has now thrown a spanner into the works. Let's see if they sing that on derby day. The reply will be instant and obvious.

Don't know if anyone else knew this?

Only found out from a Rag in work after the Greenwood story broke.

The Rags, mainly their singing section in the corner of the Stretford End, had been singing..... "She said no Mendy, she said no"

Obviously Greenwood has now thrown a spanner into the works. Let's see if they sing that on derby day. The reply will be instant and obvious.
Most away fans have been singing that. I presume the rags will have the sense to stick with nursery rhymes

It doesn't surprise me at all. Whenever I watch United it is highly unusual for the opposition not to be the better side, or at the very least look very threatening. Clearly results wise, United go on to get the points in many of these games, but very rarely do United look significantly the better side.
Agreed.

As I mentioned previously the peculiar thing is the games where united actually do look ok and have plenty of possession and chances are usually the games they don't end up winning... all their wins come in the games where the opposition look clearly the better side and create more chances but then get sucker punched by united grabbing a fluky undeserved winner from their only shot on target.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.