United Thread - 2021/22

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have found the coverage of yesterday's match to be remarkably gentle and let's many concerned at OT off the hook completely. After spending £400 million on players (that's just OGS!), a good few of whom warm the bench, after exiting the Carabao cup and taking 1 solitary point from 4 games and, finally, being humiliated 5-0 at home by the first genuinely top team they have faced the question is surely not "is Solskjaer the right man to lead United back to the top?" but rather how so much can have been spent over so long to produce a team which gets worse with every player that joins and one that can produce one of the worst performances by anyone for years!

This is a process Ole has only accelerated but its origins date back to the retirement of GPC. Whose decision was it not to back Moyes, so that the only player he could bring in was his 8th choice on his list of targets. Then there was van Gaal and Mourinho who certainly got more backing but was it the right kind of backing? Increasingly it was expensive purchases for their social media presence and then Ronaldo for commercial reasons, so that players pursued for two years don't get in the team. Then there are the players bought because City MIGHT be interested (but weren't). OGS has not performed at all. But the clearout needs to go far far further and the whole revenue driven, entertainment culture of the club needs to change. With a bit of luck thay might prove impossible, or at least take a generation.

I mean a year ago nobody was saying Chelsea had a great squad that was going to fairly comfortably win the CL and then with one new striker go on to mount a PL title campaign.

United have a really strong squad, it might not be as good as the 3 teams mentioned but it's a lot closer to them than it is to Arsenal or Tottenham.

I think if Pep went there, he'd have a lot of players he'd do well with:

De Gea is a bit of a loon but he's a great shot stopper on his day. Henderson is a guy I think Pep would like to work with.

Wan Bissaka would be a milder version of Walker with someone to teach him where to position himself, which Pep would do. Pep would love Shaw's attacking credentials and again teach him where to stand in defence. Maguire has proven to be a high quality defender at Leicester and for England. Maybe not spectacular but he's great at carrying the ball forwards and strong in the air which Pep would love. Varane would be good under Pep too.

Fred was great before United, and we weren't linked with him by accident. Van De Beek was a hot prospect from Ajax who'd have been primed to play the Pep game. Pogba has shown that in a structured side he's actually good, and Pep would love his ability to play long passes.

We know Pep rates Sancho. Cavani is a workhorse + great goalscorer. Fernandes might be overrated but under Pep his direct goal influence would be made use of. Greenwood the same as Fernandes. Rashford is like Shaw, a good manager would teach him to not be so stupid all the time. And Ronaldo knows where the net is, even if he is a lazy primadonna Pep would always have time for a goalscorer (if he is willing to drop the ego..).

They do have some dross that Pep would bin off, but they have a lot of players that you can see have suffered from terrible coaching; Rashford being the biggest victim.

We can pretend the players aren't great but they came 2nd last season with Ole at the helm. If the most poorly coached team in the league finishes 2nd then you can probably say that the players are good. This is why it's so important Ole stays.
I agree that their squad is better than Arsenal's or Tottenham's , that being said Varane and Maguire are 28 yo , their best years are behind them. Maguire can't be taught new tricks , he can do ok in a well organised team but he won't be spectacular, and he sucks with the ball at his feet. Shaw could work well under Pep but Wan Bissaka will always be poor going forward , even under Pep, but he is good defensively.
United's midfield , quite honestly I don't think it will ever be quality, they really need to buy new players no matter who the new manager is.

A good manager would definitely get them better results , but honestly I don't see them winning the CL anytime soon like Chelsea did with Tuchel. Thats a rare situation and before Tuchel , Zidane did it with Real Madrid replacing Benitez. But Zidane had Kroos and Modric in midfield and peak Ronaldo up front, Tuchel had Kante bossing the midfield and a quality defense.

Just been looking at the League cup fixtures this week - no sign of a rags game. Had to check and yes they have been knocked out all ready. I guess it is tough getting into the last 16.

Also noticed you get better than 3:1 if you back the rags to win the derby, 4:6 for a City win. Have we ever been a stronger favourite to win at the toilet?

as daft as it seems winning the league cup is way out of their league hahahahah

Potter will get an offer and take it before the end of the week is my guess. The gnome is irreparable broken and even the swamp-lords will see that. Too bad but we never expected Ole to last more than a few months anyway.

Potter will get an offer and take it before the end of the week is my guess. The gnome is irreparable broken and even the swamp-lords will see that. Too bad but we never expected Ole to last more than a few months anyway.
50/1 to be the next manager.

It's chaos over there today. Ratboy says it's Boris Johnson's fault that Ole is getting abuse and here's what their star player thinks of the tactics ...

I have found the coverage of yesterday's match to be remarkably gentle and let's many concerned at OT off the hook completely. After spending £400 million on players (that's just OGS!), a good few of whom warm the bench, after exiting the Carabao cup and taking 1 solitary point from 4 games and, finally, being humiliated 5-0 at home by the first genuinely top team they have faced the question is surely not "is Solskjaer the right man to lead United back to the top?" but rather how so much can have been spent over so long to produce a team which gets worse with every player that joins and one that can produce one of the worst performances by anyone for years!

This is a process Ole has only accelerated but its origins date back to the retirement of GPC. Whose decision was it not to back Moyes, so that the only player he could bring in was his 8th choice on his list of targets. Then there was van Gaal and Mourinho who certainly got more backing but was it the right kind of backing? Increasingly it was expensive purchases for their social media presence and then Ronaldo for commercial reasons, so that players pursued for two years don't get in the team. Then there are the players bought because City MIGHT be interested (but weren't). OGS has not performed at all. But the clear-out needs to go far far further and the whole revenue driven, entertainment culture of the club needs to change. With a bit of luck they might prove impossible, or at least take a generation.

Yes, luck won't be needed and at least 50 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.