United Thread - 2022/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are not blaming the keeper for his poor decision making and distribution skills, in a mistake leading to a goal due to poor distribution and decision making skills? :/
As much as I hate agreeing with the likes of Goldberg, if you are under instructions to play out of the back, then there is nothing wrong with that pass, especially as Maguire was calling for the ball and, as we see with Pep’s tactics, passing in to a player on the centre edge of the box with opposition closing, and for them to then make good decision to layoff the ball wide, is often the best way to beat the press.

Ultimately, the blame resides with Maguire, who had plenty of space to take the ball and turn—as Rodri, Bernardo, Stones, and even Kev have done many times when the defenders over press and the layoff isn’t on—which would have opened the pitch right up. And on Ten Hag for instructing his team to play system that a few of them, including Maguire, simply do not suit.

Maguire is decent with the ball at his feet facing forward, outside of his box, and has space ahead of him to dribble. What he has never shown to be particularly good at is the quick one two/touch passing and decision making facing his own goal.

I think de Gea has cost them so many goals over the past two or three seasons, he may be a good shot stopper, when they’re straight at him, mind you, but there’s been many times when he’s cost utd goals.
I honestly think that United would have been relegation material had it not been for some of De Gea's heroics over the years. There's a reason he has been player of the season for them a couplè of times. But ueah, he can't pass for toffee, even Allison is better!

As much as I hate agreeing with the likes of Goldberg, if you are under instructions to play out of the back, then there is nothing wrong with that pass, especially as Maguire was calling for the ball and, as we see with Pep’s tactics, passing in to a player on the centre edge of the box with opposition closing, and for them to then make good decision to layoff the ball wide, is often the best way to beat the press.

Ultimately, the blame resides with Maguire, who had plenty of space to take the ball and turn—as Rodri, Bernardo, Stones, and even Kev have done many times when the defenders over press and the layoff isn’t on—which would have opened the pitch right up. And on Ten Hag for instructing his team to play system that a few of them, including Maguire, simply do not suit.

Maguire is decent with the ball at his feet facing forward, outside of his box, and has space ahead of him to dribble. What he has never shown to be particularly good at is the quick one two/touch passing and decision making facing his own goal.
With regard to the Harry and David show. It is my understanding in football that passing is a decision made by the passer, not the passee. The passer, predominantly, has a fair view of the situation in front of him and decides which option to take.
The receiver has spacial awareness, but can be blindsided in some instances.
That is why this 1st rag goal conceded was fully the fault of the goalkeeper who could see clearly the players converging on Harry.
2nd, also goalkeeper, and 3rd, yet again the goalkeeper.
David had a fucking mare!!!!!

Ultimately, every mistake made by any footballer is that players managers fault.
But here you have a good old classic 'shit bit of play'.
We had them fuck ups in the early days of Pep, and technically, it is Peps decision to play that way so his responsibility, same as poundland Pep at utd.
If the player cannot pass a ball accurately under pressure, then that player is eligible for criticism for he is a professional footballer.

still think when I picture us playing out in that situation, the problem isn't the pass. However, for us it would usually be Rodri or Gundo, possibly Stones or Bernardo picking the ball up there. Usually a midfielder while the centre backs are still deeper.
That's the key part there, our deeper players would be moving to make passing options before the pass was played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.