United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, he might have set up a gambling competition to fleece poor people of their cash with a minute chance of winning a jackpot and called it the pools made a fortune to bankroll a mid table second division club not hamstrung by FFP
Or make a fortune as a meat wholesaler who just happened to have sold rotten meat to Manchester schools
Bang on. My dad worked at Louis Edwards meat factory and said the meat they used for schools was nothing short of rancid and the tinned meat sold in supermarkets wasn't fit for either dog or cat food. They has no problems with staff pilfering from there as anyone who worked there would never eat the meat produced there.

Yeah, he might have set up a gambling competition to fleece poor people of their cash with a minute chance of winning a jackpot and called it the pools made a fortune to bankroll a mid table second division club not hamstrung by FFP
Or make a fortune as a meat wholesaler who just happened to have sold rotten meat to Manchester schools
Just a little item I come across about how bent Louis Edwards chairmanship of United was. Remember this was well before the Internet era, no emails to be hacked and doctored. Only investigative journalism here.

"An investigation by the Granada Television/ITV investigative journalism series World in Action was broadcast on 28 January 1980. Compilation of the programme began in January 1979.[7] It alleged there were illegal share deals involving large cash payments and false documentation, secret cash payments to council and company staff to win contracts for his business, and secret payments by United from a special fund for inducements to sign footballers throughout the 1960s and 1970s. In one case in the early 1960s, it was alleged that a bribe of £5,000 was paid to the parents of Peter Lorimer, a promising young player whom the club had wanted to recruit. The money was later returned when the player chose Leeds United instead though this was a clear breach of Football Association rules.[8] The programme explained how Edwards quietly acquired his majority shareholding at Manchester United in the early 1960s and then bolstered his family's holding in the late 1970s in prepaparation for the controversial rights issue."

Well its easy for United fans to keep harping on about the 115 FFP allegations and find us guilty on hearsay and rumours. Their beloved club was doing such tactics over 40 odd years ago and got away with it.

If they give Graham Potter time to build it properly then he could well surprise people. Chelsea then appointed Frank Lampard and are even currently 12th under a deeply experienced Pochettino.

I do quite like Potter but I think he needs to resurrect his career elsewhere. Abroad perhaps.

Just a little item I come across about how bent Louis Edwards chairmanship of United was. Remember this was well before the Internet era, no emails to be hacked and doctored. Only investigative journalism here.

"An investigation by the Granada Television/ITV investigative journalism series World in Action was broadcast on 28 January 1980. Compilation of the programme began in January 1979.[7] It alleged there were illegal share deals involving large cash payments and false documentation, secret cash payments to council and company staff to win contracts for his business, and secret payments by United from a special fund for inducements to sign footballers throughout the 1960s and 1970s. In one case in the early 1960s, it was alleged that a bribe of £5,000 was paid to the parents of Peter Lorimer, a promising young player whom the club had wanted to recruit. The money was later returned when the player chose Leeds United instead though this was a clear breach of Football Association rules.[8] The programme explained how Edwards quietly acquired his majority shareholding at Manchester United in the early 1960s and then bolstered his family's holding in the late 1970s in prepaparation for the controversial rights issue."

Well its easy for United fans to keep harping on about the 115 FFP allegations and find us guilty on hearsay and rumours. Their beloved club was doing such tactics over 40 odd years ago and got away with it.
He conveniently dropped dead before the allegations were aired
I’m not sure about the rights issue? Martin Edwards was looking to sell, along came Knighton who had a mystery backer, who withdrew. Knighton showed Edwards his busy plan and lucky Martin later put that into effect and floated the company for big profit which also funded ferguson’s spending all this coincided with the PL launch which is what them what they were unfortunately Ferguson’s greed over horse spunk led to Malcolm and his lads getting their hands on the club

I’m not sure about the rights issue? Martin Edwards was looking to sell, along came Knighton who had a mystery backer, who withdrew. Knighton showed Edwards his busy plan and lucky Martin later put that into effect and floated the company for big profit which also funded ferguson’s spending all this coincided with the PL launch which is what them what they were unfortunately Ferguson’s greed over horse spunk led to Malcolm and his lads getting their hands on the club
I'm sure Granada TV were threatened with legal action if the allegations were aired on TV.

There was a rights issue when James gulliver bought 100000 United shares from Edwards senior for 250000 pounds and conveniently also purchased his meat company.
He was also offered a seat on the board,taking matt Busby directorship and was granted 2 seats for life.
Edwards meat company became part of the Argyle food company.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.