United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maguire always looks pretty solid for England so it’s definitely something in the water at Ragland that turns him into a dim wit.

Nowhere near our level so I’m glad we didn’t sign him but he deserves better than he’s being treated by the scum.

IMO he’d thrive at somewhere like a Villa or a West Ham.

Maguire came unstuck as soon as they moved the back 4 to the halfway line. One ball over the top and he was dead in the water. Too slow, incapable of defending space, and he doesn't want to have the ball under pressure.

He's only half decent when he is defending his box, clearing headers, marshalling or with one hand on the oppositions Centre Forward. He is an oldskool type defender, like a Tony Adams or a John Terry. They bring people down before the ball reaches them. He'd be okay in a team that parks the bus and barely crosses into the oppositions half. Like a Sean Dyche sort of team.

He'd be okay in a team that parks the bus and barely crosses into the oppositions half. Like a Sean Dyche sort of team.
Eh?

That's exactly the kind of team he's been playing in throughout his time at united... have you ever actually watched them or just looked at their possession stats?.. Park the bus, allow the opposition lots of possession and then occasionally hoof it up to the fast lads upfront to try and nick a goal on the break.

Nope. I can't agree with that.

Maguire might not cheat in the same way as Fernandes i.e. throwing himself to the ground and screaming at the slightest contact, but as a protected united player he's proved himself to be just as much a cheat in his own way... In all my years watching football I've never seen a CB previously get away with so much blatant grappling and bear hugging of opposition players, literally wrestling players to the ground every week and never getting punished for it.

Plus he's as bad as Fernandes (and most other united players) when it comes to abusing and harassing the refs at every opportunity.
Fair comment Blue.

Eh?

That's exactly the kind of team he's been playing in throughout his time at united... have you ever actually watched them or just looked at their possession stats?.. Park the bus, allow the opposition lots of possession and then occasionally hoof it up to the fast lads upfront to try and nick a goal on the break.
Exactly. They invite pressure, because they're not good enough to control possession. Part of that is the composure at the back with the ball and he was definitely part of the problem.

Last edited:
Eh?

During the Brentford debacle, last season, two very important lessons were learned by Ten Hag. De Gea can't play out from the back, and Maguire has all the speed and positioning prowess of an oil tanker. This is why he was eventually relegated down the pecking order. Varane and Martinez play much more advanced, because they have the pace to recover.

The hoof ball to the fast lads upfront is still their best play, because Rashford wants to run in behind. They really struggle against teams that defend deep. They have no creativity in the final 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.