United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've seen rags on Twitter calling City fans clueless because the rags were formed in Newton Heath, Manchester, while City were formed outside Manchester. I'm sure I've read somewhere that Newton Heath was part of Chadderton at that time, which is Oldham. So who is clueless, is it them or those blues?
As far as I’m aware, Gorton (the location of St Mark's church) has always been within the city boundaries, as has Ardwick.

Once again, rags are showing themselves up as clueless.

Last edited:
BBC gossip

Real Sociedad are in talks over signing Donny van de Beek on loan from Manchester United with an option to buy the Netherlands midfielder, 26. (Marca - in Spanish)

Potential bargain RS have paid more than £15m once in their history.....maybe picking up an £80M player for pennies.
The Royal Society of football aren’t signing him to replace Merlin, that’s for sure.

Newton Heath has never been part of Chadderton or Oldham. When Newton Heath formed, the town was not part of Manchester, it was Lancashire. Manchester at that time was pretty much what is now the City Centre and the towns in the immediate vicinity (Ardwick, Ancoats etc). Newton Heath incorporated Miles Platting, and Monsall at the time and was a large area.
Neither the Newton Heath nor St Marks were born within the boundaries of what was then known as Manchester, at the time of their formation.
Newton Heath and Clayton became part of Manchester Central in 1890. St Marks moved to Ardwick in 1887. Ardwick had been part of Manchester from 1838.
Therefore the early incarnation of City were playing in Manchester before any incarnation of United.
City have never left the actual city of Manchester from 1887.
United moved to Old Trafford in 1910. Old Trafford has never been in Manchester. So, the only time any incarnation of United played in Manchester was between 1890 and 1910.
A brilliant, and to the point, history lesson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.