United Thread - 2023/24

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, I still disagree.

Could the Glazers have effect some change? Sure. And they have by all accounts attempted to do so. Do they share some of the blame? Of course. Making the club a publicly traded interest alone was a major mistake that they are still struggling to manage now, beyond their extractive practices.

As I said in my OP, they are bad owners, both for the Rags and for the league.

But the main drivers of the truly breathtaking level of shiteness United now embody are beyond them.

There has been politics being played throughout their tenure, including at the executive level within the club, with dealing and rivalries, many of which they have not been able stop.

And the structure of the club itself is dysfunctional and, in some areas, outright toxic. That was the case before they arrived, and to fix that requires a complete restructuring (and rebuilding). Much of the persistence of those situations has been down the supporter pressures not allowing them to actually take steps toward that.

All of that in mind, I have to reiterate my overarching point: new owners are not going to get United back to anywhere near their level when Ferguson was in charge, not in the near term, anyway.

The club needs to be razed to the foundations and rebuilt. And the fans will never allow that.

And Ferguson should carry much of the blame for all of this, as well, as his caring more about his legacy than succession planning planted the seed for the immense dysfunction to come (and his management style had already created a morass in his final years).

TL;DR

New owners will not save United.
I’m not disagreeing with your last comment because the rot is too ingrained, but all the things you point to: the politics of the old guard, the structure of the club, the lack of restructuring, the short term-ism (due to supporter pressure) and allowing Ferguson to hang around and stink the place out were all within the Glazers’ gift to address if they’d had the guts, self-confidence and vision to do so, given the passage of twenty years and the money the club generates. They’ve had the time and control of the organisation to address all these things if they were so inclined.

Put it this way - if Sheikh Mansour had bought United in 2008, do you think they’d be the same basket case they are today?

Because unless the answer is ‘yes’, then the blame ultimately rests with the Glazers.

Someone tried to lamp Keane apparently after the game. Micah involved restraining the person. Erling at the game? -:)

Seriously tho, someone is going to step over the line soon enough. The media would also do well to tone down the lies and agendas.

You are absolutely correct in blaming senior management BUT who employed them? An unpopular statement I know but the Glazers put this senior management in place and if they are sh1t, which they are, then they are to blame. The buck stops at the top.

I don’t understand why this is even being debated.
I think because we are debating two different things.

It seems you both are saying the buck stops at the top and that new owners can right the ship in the near term.

And I am saying that is not the case, because the main drivers of United’s current state of hilarious shiteness is well beyond the owners (whoever they are) and their ability to mitigate it, at least in the near term.

And I maintain that much of the dysfunction causing this massive drop in performance started well before the Glazers bought the club.

It’s on his own X.

So unless he’s been hacked…

Week 4, and public infighting breaks out.

<Windsor Davies meme>
Fantastic stuff so early in the season....just a shame the #SOPP thread has been seemingly deleted by mods unknown....he's gonna need us pretty soon.

Moaning bastard TH.That was never a foul, never a penalty and the offside was given by VAR who can surely see it better than he can! He is getting a bit desperate already.
It must be worrying for them. He was detached from reality during that sky interview. Lost all sense of logic and reason. I know they’ve had a bad result but you need more resolve than that at the top level. They have employed an unhinged individual, gone by March/April imo!!

I’m not disagreeing with your last comment because the rot is too ingrained, but all the things you point to: the politics of the old guard, the structure of the club, the lack of restructuring, the short term-ism (due to supporter pressure) and allowing Ferguson to hang around and stink the place out were all within the Glazers’ gift to address if they’d had the guts, self-confidence and vision to do so, given the passage of twenty years and the money the club generates.

Put it this way - if Sheikh Mansour had bought United in 2008, do you think they’d be the same basket case they are today?

Because unless the answer is ‘yes’, then the blame ultimately rests with the Glazers.
My answer would be “Yes”, at least in the timeframe we have seen them turn out club in to the immense powerhouse it is now.

Because I believe the rot runs that deep in that club.

Our owners actually saw in opportunity with us, but everyone at the club (and the city)—the previous ownership, the management, the players, the staff, and the fans—wanted a tear down and rebuild. That gave them the freedom to to take many of the necessary but painful actions to right the ship.

And to answer your question more fully: I am not even sure ADUG, after initial discovery, would have wanted to takeover United. Dysfunction had set in well before the Glazers arrived. I think the Glazers largely saw the opportunity in the chaos.

It seems you both are saying the buck stops at the top and that new owners can right the ship in the near term.
Where did I say that?
And I maintain that much of the dysfunction causing this massive drop in performance started well before the Glazers bought the club.
When? You say ‘well before’, but they won the Treble four years before the Glazers bought the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.