United Thread | 2024/25

His dad used to work the doors at the phoenix in town, he used to bang on to me every Saturday night how his son was gonna make it big and play for England. In fairness he was a sound hard working bloke. Wouldn’t fancy getting on the wrong side of him mind.
I went to the Phoenix. Blimey. I was underage.

I said it too. It was a Ferguson way.

But that’s not even really the issue. The issue is Ferguson was a egomaniacal autocrat.

That becomes a problem when autocrats leave organiz(s)ations because they have established themselves as the repository of all decisions. Their staff is there to support them, not the organiz(s)ation. Ther staff is not entrusted with leadership abilities nor discretion because that rests with the autocrat.

Autocrats do not care about the shape of the organiz(s)ation when they leave. They don’t care about legacy, because if the organiz(s)ation is successful when they leave, they take credit, and when it isn’t, they take comfort in the fact that it’s because they aren’t a part of it. They can’t lose, legacy-wise.

Ferguson touted “complete control” as a key leadership tenet in his speeches and writings for Harvard Business School in fact.

Forget the football — as an ORGANIZ(S)ATION, United was doomed to fail, and still is — not because of the Glazers, though their leveraged buyout has certainly weakened the pillars financially — but because of Ferguson’s use of the club as a vessel to his own ends without a thought to what it looked like after he left.

Great leaders leave organiz(s)actions in better shape than they found them. Fergusons record as a COACH is unquestioned; as a LEADER he is one of the great shams those who study how businesses operate can point to

You're an honorary mancunian/Brit. You don't need to highlight the spelling.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.