University Subsistence

Ergh can it wait until after Saturday before I explain.......

County lines is when drug dealers in places like liverpool and manchester send runners to deliver drugs to smaller towns.
Smaller towns have plenty of their own drug dealers these days.

Smaller towns have plenty of their own drug dealers these days.
Yes but they don't have kilos of the stuff. County lines is as described, the bigger cities supplying the smaller ones, hence crossing the County border.

Yes but they don't have kilos of the stuff. County lines is as described, the bigger cities supplying the smaller ones, hence crossing the County border.
Beg to differ on your first line but not the thread for it.

Mine should know the value of money but I am not sure they do.
Teach them by showing it doesn’t grow on trees. They need to get part time jobs. I did and worked full time through the summer. It wasn’t easy, but it wasn’t a terror either. If they work hard and you can afford it, a treat or two along the way won’t hurt. But, they need to learn you work and don’t just stick your hand out. They may well be fucked off for a time, another lesson. We all get fucked off, but we get up and go to our work. It will be the making of them.

I question that approach.
Student loans are only repaid once you start earning above a certain threshold.
We don’t know what the future holds.
They may never earn enough to pay any back.
They may take long breaks from work when they would not pay.
The loan is written off if they are ever too ill to work permanently.
Eventually the loan is written off anyway.

If I were you I’d use the cash to help them on the property ladder.
We have decided to just get the grant for the tuition fees and see what my son ends up doing, all other accommodation fees we have paid for plus his allowance which I mentioned previously. Depending on what his prospective earnings are we may either, pay his fees off (I.e he’s landed a top paying job within a few years of finishing uni). Or supplement his income to offset what he pays back per month.
I just think it’s something that you need to track and see what’s best as their career evolves and put the money aside.

Interesting thread. Thanks. My son starts at Manchester Met in a little over a week's time (coming up from Brighton). His maintenance loan doesn't cover his hall/accommodation fees, so we'll have to make up the difference at least and then some, but don't really know how much tbh. He says he'll get a job, but we'll see. I'm not worried because in his year out he's got into re-selling trainers and sportswear and has even set up his own little company and he's been making "peas" and he'll just carry on with that, and have a whole new market to exploit i guess.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.