Urawa Red Diamonds (N) | CWC Semi-Final | Post Match Thread

I was happy to give Philips another year to prove himself, but all that changed with Rodri's coded interview, which the club never clarified or distanced themselves from.

From that moment I realised it was over for Kalvin, because the players & coaching staff see him everyday in training. If he can't cut it in that controlled environment, he definitely won't in the white heat of the PL & CL.

Some you win. Some you lose. Pep evidently doesn't trust him, & offered him the chance to move permanently, or on loan during the summer. He declined saying he was staying to fight for his place, & he's barely kicked a ball since.

We just need to facilitate a move for him so he can kick-start his career elsewhere, & so we can find a better CDM fit for City before Rodri's burned himself out.

I must have missed Rodri's comments. What did he say?

I agree, I've seen he's been linked with Juve recently. Not quite sure how really.

I was happy to give Philips another year to prove himself, but all that changed with Rodri's coded interview, which the club never clarified or distanced themselves from.

From that moment I realised it was over for Kalvin, because the players & coaching staff see him everyday in training. If he can't cut it in that controlled environment, he definitely won't in the white hot heat of the PL & CL.

Some you win. Some you lose. Pep evidently doesn't trust him, & offered him the chance to move permanently, or on loan during the summer. He declined saying he was staying to fight for his place, & he's barely kicked a ball since.

We just need to facilitate a move for him so he can kick-start his career elsewhere, & so we can find a better CDM fit for City before Rodri burns himself out.
It is alarming how out of his depth Phillips has looked. He looked decent at Leeds and I thought he was a good signing but, to be honest, I have been shocked at his lack of awareness and first touch.

I must have missed Rodri's comments. What did he say?

I agree, I've seen he's been linked with Juve recently. Not quite sure how really.
Screenshot_20231220_170325_Chrome.jpg

Manchester City midfielder Rodri has held talks with club chiefs to disclose concerns about a potential for burn-out.

The Spain international made 56 appearances, missing only five matches, as City created history by completing a Treble last season.

Rodri revealed that he cannot undergo that workload again, with the 27-year-old’s fears about fatigue only heightened by the introduction of new prolonged stoppage time in games, something already condemned by team-mate Kevin De Bruyne.

‘I don’t remember exactly the number of games I played, but I had a talk with the club and the coach because it’s not healthy,’ Rodri said.

‘You can do it for one season, but when it’s two or three in a row, it can be worse for the team because your physicality can drop. So I have to watch out. We have already spoken that, it cannot always be like this.’

Rodri – who was called upon more than planned as Kalvin Phillips struggled to acclimatise with the club after a £42million move from Leeds United – believes his career could be cut short if the intensity is not managed.

‘The important thing for me is that they know the situation and they know that for the next few seasons we will have to watch out,’ he added.

‘Now I am young, but maybe when I get to 30 or 31 I cannot do this kind of thing, so I have to watch the body because 60 games is not the best thing for a player. Also, the seasons get even longer every year. We have to adapt to this.’

City didn't comment on, or distance themselves from Rodri's quotes. Whilst he didn't mention Philips, the Fail did. It's obvious this was aimed at Philips, hence why I knew it was over for him at City.

A few weeks later, Pep started making it publicly clear that although Kalvin's a nice guy & model professional, he can't see a way to include him in City's plans.

A few days later, reports started circulating of Philips wanting a January move, with Newcastle, Spurs, Juvé, Liverpool & Bayern mentioned as interested parties.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...olds-talks-club-chiefs-concerns-burn-out.html

It is alarming how out of his depth Phillips has looked. He looked decent at Leeds and I thought he was a good signing but, to be honest, I have been shocked at his lack of awareness and first touch.
I knew little of Philips before he starred for England in the Euro's. I didn't watch much of the competition, but the few bits I saw, he looked like a decent replacement for Fernandinho, who was edging toward the exit door aged 37.

Albeit Philips spent much of the 2021-2022 season injured, he returned in the March & revealed that Leeds told him City were interested & they'd accepted a bid if Kalvin was interested. He was given permission to speak to Txiki & Pep, & the transfer was wrapped up pretty quickly.

He was still trying to get up to speed after his long injury layoff, but he never quite hit the ground running at City, & sadly it kinda went downhill for him from there.

It was telling that City didn't even want to give him another season to prove himself, as we apparently offered him permanent & loan moves before the summer window closed, but he cited Jack, Stones, Bernardo, Gundog & others famously taking a season or two to settle & get used to Guardiola's playing requirements as his reasons to stay & fight for his place.

He thought he could prove himself as others before him, but City didn't have the same faith. The first time Pep made it clear he wasn't in his plans is when he came on against Forest after Rodri's sending off. Pep made it clear Philips was a great player to have when you're having a midfield scrap.

That said it all for me. How often do City get into footballing dogfights? We have quality players who can give as much as they get when the odd match turns into a battle royale. Pep's comments highlighted how one dimensional he saw Philips.

View attachment 101877

Manchester City midfielder Rodri has held talks with club chiefs to disclose concerns about a potential for burn-out.

The Spain international made 56 appearances, missing only five matches, as City created history by completing a Treble last season.

Rodri revealed that he cannot undergo that workload again, with the 27-year-old’s fears about fatigue only heightened by the introduction of new prolonged stoppage time in games, something already condemned by team-mate Kevin De Bruyne.

‘I don’t remember exactly the number of games I played, but I had a talk with the club and the coach because it’s not healthy,’ Rodri said.

‘You can do it for one season, but when it’s two or three in a row, it can be worse for the team because your physicality can drop. So I have to watch out. We have already spoken that, it cannot always be like this.’

Rodri – who was called upon more than planned as Kalvin Phillips struggled to acclimatise with the club after a £42million move from Leeds United – believes his career could be cut short if the intensity is not managed.

‘The important thing for me is that they know the situation and they know that for the next few seasons we will have to watch out,’ he added.

‘Now I am young, but maybe when I get to 30 or 31 I cannot do this kind of thing, so I have to watch the body because 60 games is not the best thing for a player. Also, the seasons get even longer every year. We have to adapt to this.’

City didn't comment on, or distance themselves from Rodri's quotes. Whilst he didn't mention Philips, the Fail did. It's obvious this was aimed at Philips, hence why I knew it was over for him at City.

A few weeks later, Pep started making it publicly clear that although Kalvin's a nice guy & model professional, he can't see a way to include him in City's plans.

A few days later, reports started circulating of Philips wanting a January move, with Newcastle, Spurs, Juvé, Liverpool & Bayern mentioned as interested parties.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...olds-talks-club-chiefs-concerns-burn-out.html

Crazy, but he's right. May not effect him for a few more years but it will hit him hard down the line.

I wouldn't let Philips go to anyone in the PL

Crazy, but he's right. May not effect him for a few more years but it will hit him hard down the line.

I wouldn't let Philips go to anyone in the PL
I'm not arsed where he goes TBH. Obviously if he heads abroad, it's one less former player we'll have to face who has a point to prove, but I think it best we concentrate on City first, meaning getting the best price for Philips & the best possible replacement we can.

He'll leave as a treble & Super Cup winner, & still remains a highly paid England International. It's so sad it's not worked out, but it is what it is. ¯⁠\⁠_⁠(⁠⊙⁠_⁠ʖ⁠⊙⁠)⁠_⁠/⁠¯

Have Samsung got this does anyone know? Do we know what channel if so, thanks in advance...

TNT commentary was dreadful, so appreciate any assistance...
Just search for the FIFA website and follow the link to view the game for free.
Last game was just a neutral commentary in English and crowd noise - no pundits, with playback of highlights.
Thank Ric for the heads up.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.