Urawa Red Diamonds (N) | CWC Semi-Final | Pre-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt it used to just be the champions of europe v the champions of south america? Pretty sure as a kid in the 80's i remember liverpool playing someone like indiendepente in it.
I remember them playing Flamengo and getting battered. Just had to look it up but 1981 and got beat 3-0 in the Intercontinental Cup.

It was back when all the Brazilians and Argentinians used to still play at home so you'd see the Champions of Europe playing a team you hadn't heard of and they'd then get taken apart by the 1970 Brazil side

Didnt it used to just be the champions of europe v the champions of south america? Pretty sure as a kid in the 80's i remember liverpool playing someone like indiendepente in it.
That wasn't a FIFA comp, it was played as well as the Club World Cup until FIFA made them scrap it. The first Club World Cup in 2000 was the Rio one and a flat disaster with 2 Brazilian host clubs having a 0-0 final, with the highlight being Beckham getting sent off for a kung fu kick. The Intercontinental Cup was also played that season.

Yes it did. A one off match but Domalino, who is no doubt a wonderful bloke in real life, has to be the awkward buger on here.
It was a one off match not a 2 week, 126 match event sponsored by Coca Cola held in a country that paid the most, in a brown bag, (an envelope was too small) and no stadiums or pitches and kick offs will be at 2am to ensure the largest television audience.

This tournament clashes with the Carabao Cup QF so if we send the first team, the quadruple is pretty much impossible

This tournament clashes with the Carabao Cup QF so if we send the first team, the quadruple is pretty much impossible
It will be a bugger if on the Cup Scheme and you can't go as you are watching City.

What bullshit is this - 12 clubs from Europe! Amazing how the cartel clubs always find ways to make more money regardless

But only one more from England no? Chelsea and City have qualified already - maximum of two teams per country, increased if more than one CL winner from a country. Is that right? So who misses out? I guess it would be United who miss out?

It’s bullshite, but the move to every four years at least makes it less bullshite.

It’s also in the summer not the winter. I actually think fundamentally this is a much better idea than the current format which - let’s be honest - nobody cares about. It’s a Middle-East PR tournament. In the middle of the season where it is just an inconvenience.

Having 32 teams, 12 of which are from UEFA so guaranteed to be good, makes it worth winning. Hardly feels like a trophy when you’re only beating Al-DogNDuck.

The big issue is if you’re a player from a European country who regularly qualifies for this and the international tournaments you only get one summer off every four years. I can see that being bad for them in the long-term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.