Urawa Red Diamonds (N) | CWC Semi-Final | Pre-Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fluminense FC are like 8th in their league right now and the season ends in December with them having five more matches to play.

It shouldn't be too difficult to beat them if we get them in the final and they lose to the AFC winners in the semis (assuming that's so as the UEFA winners usually end up against the CONCACAF team).

Interestingly enough, six teams from Brazil Serie A can qualify for the group stage directly of the Copa Libatadores, and two for the second stage, meaning eight teams from one league in the group stage if those two win their second round games. Cup winners have made this eight and as it stands because Sao Paulo have not qualified through their league position down there in 10th, meaning 10 teams at the most.

The UEFA Champions League set a quota of 4, making it fair and proper and not a mess.

Last edited:
Fluminense FC are like 8th in their league right now and the season ends in December with them having five more matches to play.

It shouldn't be too difficult to beat them if we get them in the final and they lose to the AFC winners in the semis (assuming that's so as the UEFA winners usually end up against the CONCACAF team).

Interestingly enough, six teams from Brazil Serie A can qualify for the group stage directly of the Copa Libatadores, and two for the second stage, meaning eight teams from one league in the group stage if those two win their second round games. Cup winners can then make this nine and as it stands because Sao Paulo have not qualified through their league position down there in 10th, meaning 10 teams at the most.

The UEFA Champions League set a quota of 4, making it fair and proper and not a mess.

It isn't comparable Brazil has half the population of CONMEBOL which only has 10 teams. 8/47 isn't that many if you are 200m pop and ones with 4m get 4.

It isn't comparable Brazil has half the population of CONMEBOL which only has 10 teams. 8/47 isn't that many if you are 200m pop and ones with 4m get 4.
It's 8 teams at the most as well, not 9 so edited my post.

Here is the table

47 is a lot, but 32 when the group stage starts. Is still an entertaining competition and when Palmerias won it in 1999, Scolari actually went for the jugular on the transfer market with an aim to win that trophy. There is even a Barca player who said he would have swapped his Champions League medals for Libatadores ones.... but he was Brazilian and the World Club Cup is seen as their Champions League.

I think it will be Al Ahly of Egypt after looking at this. Al-Ittihad are only there as league winners of the host nation, they didn't win the AFC Champions League and the CAF one that Al Ahly won is a lot more stronger.

My only argument to that is that the previous AFC Champions League would've been before Al-Ittihad got an influx of players from europe.

If I'm honest though I haven't watched either team play, so can't really speak with any certainty.

Interesting Stats, I'm wondering if Auckland City could hold their own in League 2? I suspect not
The nearest English club to them is Sutton United who are currently right at the bottom of League 2. Auckland would finish around second last just above them, so you are spookily spot on with your guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.