Uruguayan PFA consulting FIFPRO over legal action aginst the FA for branding Cavani racist.

The irony of this whole event is that the FA are being ignorant of Cavani’s culture and language, in an attempt to look like they are supporting the black community.

The whole thing is totally messed up.

The FA are pissing up the wrong tree here. Cavani is clearly not a racist, they’re only doing this for PR purposes.
Whether we agree with the FA rules or not, they were introduced in the wake of the Bernardo incident.
Any stupid comments on social media gets you a 3 game ban.
Clubs need to make new signings from out of the UK aware of their responsibilities on social media to prevent their players from being banned.

anyone in the public eye should steer clear of social media completely There is absolutely no quarter given for who you are talking to and why. The PC brigade are searching high and low to see if there is anything that can offend them.

One thing I CANNOT STAND are entities deciding something is offensive when the person/people to whom the comment was made take absolutely zero offence.

Today, much like the professional complainers who wrote to the BBC over a nip slip or swear word, or any other nonsense, society has decided it is going to currently bend over backwards to try to correct ANY “offence” taken by ANYBODY about almost ANYTHING, while publicly chastising those who run afoul of that lowest common denominator.

We used to make fun of Mary Whitehouse, but today there are thousands of them everywhere, just waiting to impose their faux outrage on us all!

I've been learning Spanish for six years now. To this day there are still days when I discover that a word means something totally different to what I thought it meant. That's because learning a language is really bloody hard. For example, in Spanish the word 'años' (pronounced an-yos) means 'years'. Mispronounce that slightly and suddenly you're talking about how many anuses you have instead of how old you are. I can't imagine anyone from a Spanish-speaking country would ever have a go at me for making a mistake like that.

Let's be honest here. All the FA needed to do was drop him a quick message.

Hi Edinson,

Just seen your Instagram post, you look great by the way. While we're on the subject, I know that word you call your friend isn't offensive in your culture but you shouldn't really say it over here. The more you know, hey?

Thx,

FA

I mean, it could've been a bloody e-mail. A three match ban was a completely inappropriate punishment, especially when accompanied by a notice confirming that none of the board believe he intended to be racist.

Punishing someone for saying something they didn't know was offensive is absurd. Giving them 3x the ban of Dele Alli is just an insult. And making him sit in a room with a bunch of racists while he gets patronised is even worse.

Disgraceful handling from the FA, and I hope the Uruguayans win the case.

I've been learning Spanish for six years now. To this day there are still days when I discover that a word means something totally different to what I thought it meant. That's because learning a language is really bloody hard. For example, in Spanish the word 'años' (pronounced an-yos) means 'years'. Mispronounce that slightly and suddenly you're talking about how many anuses you have instead of how old you are. I can't imagine anyone from a Spanish-speaking country would ever have a go at me for making a mistake like that.

Let's be honest here. All the FA needed to do was drop him a quick message.

Hi Edinson,

Just seen your Instagram post, you look great by the way. While we're on the subject, I know that word you call your friend isn't offensive in your culture but you shouldn't really say it over here. The more you know, hey?

Thx,

FA

I mean, it could've been a bloody e-mail. A three match ban was a completely inappropriate punishment, especially when accompanied by a notice confirming that none of the board believe he intended to be racist.

Punishing someone for saying something they didn't know was offensive is absurd. Giving them 3x the ban of Dele Alli is just an insult. And making him sit in a room with a bunch of racists while he gets patronised is even worse.

Disgraceful handling from the FA, and I hope the Uruguayans win the case.

They didn't even need to send that email, A United press officer told him about the possible offence and he deleted the message and replaced it with an explanation and apology for any offence taken within about 2 hours of the post going up.

For what it's worth, here's what Wikipedia says on the topic.

In certain parts of Latin America, the usage of negro to directly address black people can be colloquial. It is important to understand that this is not similar to the use of the word nigga in English in urban hip hop subculture in the United States, given that "negro" is not a racist term. For example, one might say to a friend, "Negro ¿Cómo andas? (literally 'Hey, black-one, how are you doing?'). In such a case, the diminutive negrito can also be used, as a term of endearment meaning 'pal'/'buddy'/'friend'. Negrito has thus also come to be used to refer to a person of any ethnicity or color, and also can have a sentimental or romantic connotation similar to 'sweetheart' or 'dear' in English. In other Spanish-speaking South American countries, the word negro can also be employed in a roughly equivalent term-of-endearment form, though it is not usually considered to be as widespread as in Argentina or Uruguay (except perhaps in a limited regional or social context).

The citation seems pretty solid.

They didn't even need to send that email, A United press officer told him about the possible offence and he deleted the message and replaced it with an explanation and apology for any offence taken within about 2 hours of the post going up.
Yeah, even better. Can't understand why they felt the need to go all Big Dick Energy on him. They were far less harsh about Dele Alli's far more racist offence, but then favouring English players isn't surprising.

Whether we agree with the FA rules or not, they were introduced in the wake of the Bernardo incident.
Any stupid comments on social media gets you a 3 game ban.
Clubs need to make new signings from out of the UK aware of their responsibilities on social media to prevent their players from being banned.

Dele Alli's joke about the Asian man was long after the Bernardo incident but he only got one match. And Alli knew what he was doing was offensive. FA didn't have to ban Cavani at all.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.