US Politics Thread

I agree. And it’s why Biden’s favorability has dropped. He’s also been less than visible, isn’t especially interesting to listen to, has to come to grips with the after-effects of the post-pandemic liquidity splurge, and has proven himself not an adept consensus builder (albeit it’s not like any President in the current clime would be more effective). Having said that, he’s managed Ukraine as well as can be expected, and I’m not lying awake worried about his personal attempts to subvert democracy, unlike his predecessor and his predecessor’s fawning idiot toadies and those who enable them with their cowardice. And that is all that matters. We aren’t going to care much about inflation (partially enabled by the Fed who kept the spigots open too long, as even they would acknowledge) if free and fair elections die on the vine.
Agree.

Two (well maybe three) comments:

1) Following election, a first term US President has a tough time. He's blamed for everything that ails the American populace - even if he's done the best he could and if it would have been much worse save for his leadership. This pattern has prevailed for decades (centuries?) - reflected by loss of representation in the House/Senate in midterm elections.

Biden is facing a particularly strong headwind. He first had to get COVID under control (job largely done), and then tackle the economy (he's done the best he could but gas prices are soaring which has nothing to do with his leadership but for which he'll be blamed), and finally foreign policy (Biden wanted to focus on Asia but Putin decided to invade Ukraine, derailing his ambitions).

2) Along the same lines as 1 above - the old saw holds true - "It's the economy, stupid." Gas prices are soaring out of control. Biden is blamed. Pretty much end-of. He'll be a one-term President if gas prices/inflation aren't brought under wraps;

3) This comment @mancity1 - what is it about my posts that have you so upset? Here, and above, you have a rational discussion with Fog. But as soon as I post about US Republican lies and the threat to Democracy, you immediately attack - accusing me of picking sides - and seeming to suggest that lies and misinformation aren't a problem at all, though I honestly can't see how you'd draw this conclusion.

Is the following video
1) hyperbole; or
2) wishful thinking; or
3) do you think that Republicans are in fact changing their minds about Trump?

It seems that copyright may preclude some Bluemoon viewers from seeing the video... so here's a summary:

Fox News host Neil Cavuto, referring to the 1/6 hearings, remarks to an interviewee, that the hearings make Donald Trump "look, awful. Just awful."

Although conservative, it should be noted that Cavuto has been employed by PBS in the past.

Last edited:
Is the following video
1) hyperbole; or
2) wishful thinking; or
3) do you think that Republicans are in fact changing their minds about Trump?

Can't see the video as I'm in work, but I think given the revelations of the Jan 6 commission's public hearings at lot of Republicans are starting to hedge their bets a bit and back off on the MAGA rhetoric.

Can't see the video as I'm in work, but I think given the revelations of the Jan 6 commission's public hearings at lot of Republicans are starting to hedge their bets a bit and back off on the MAGA rhetoric.
Sucks that you can't see the vid; stupid copyright. I updated my original post with a bit of a synopsis/background for those who can't view the material.

Sucks that you can't see the vid; stupid copyright. I updated my original post with a bit of a synopsis/background for those who can't view the material.
Still going with my original answer.

The Jan 6 hearings have opened a lot of peoples eyes to what actually happened, which essentially amounts to an attempted coup. There is very strong evidence that Trump knew what was going on wasn't legal, and there are a number of other people implicated and there are now an awful lot of people claiming to be on 'Team Normal' such as Mulvaney.

In reality I don't think a lot of Republicans who are not tainted by Trump and the rest of the crazy gang. Not just in term of the insurrection, but also the fraud that was the Stop the Steal campaign that the likes of Kimberly Guilfoyle was paid $60,000 for a 2 minute introduction of Trump on Jan 6th.

Reactions: mat
Still going with my original answer.

The Jan 6 hearings have opened a lot of peoples eyes to what actually happened, which essentially amounts to an attempted coup. There is very strong evidence that Trump knew what was going on wasn't legal, and there are a number of other people implicated and there are now an awful lot of people claiming to be on 'Team Normal' such as Mulvaney.

In reality I don't think a lot of Republicans who are not tainted by Trump and the rest of the crazy gang. Not just in term of the insurrection, but also the fraud that was the Stop the Steal campaign that the likes of Kimberly Guilfoyle was paid $60,000 for a 2 minute introduction of Trump on Jan 6th.
>> In reality I don't think a lot of Republicans who are not tainted by Trump and the rest of the crazy gang.
Agree.

I think that most Republican officials are careerists above all - willing to hold their noses and then to vociferously support Trump.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.